[REMOVE ADS]

Looking back....1974 Vegas billboard

#SupremesSunday - Looking back at the history and legacy of THE SUPREMES!

Today we are looking back to 1974 when THE SUPREMES [[Scherrie Payne, Mary Wilson & Cindy Birdsong) headlined at the Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas. Enjoy this vintage photo of a billboard advertising the Ladies' appearance April 24th-May 7th 1974. #Supremes #KeepTheMusicPlaying

Thanks, Lakeside! In all of the photos from that session, I don't recall ever having seen one where Scherrie and Mary were wearing floor-length boas--let alone this specific shot where Cindy is blocked in the middle.

I'm going to guess that this billboard was located somewhere in Los Angeles as Vegas is only a 3-hour drive/30-minute plane ride away...and the background looks like the hills in Los Angeles, too.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Thanks, Lakeside! In all of the photos from that session, I don't recall ever having seen one where Scherrie and Mary were wearing floor-length boas--let alone this specific shot where Cindy is blocked in the middle.

I'm going to guess that this billboard was located somewhere in Los Angeles as Vegas is only a 3-hour drive/30-minute plane ride away...and the background looks like the hills in Los Angeles, too.
    there are actually 2 accessory parts to these gowns. there were feathers that wrapped around at the base of the dress and then another wrap style they could wear around their shoulders.

here's the pic we've seen the most - MSC in the original version of the gowns w Scherrie's checkerboard version. they're holding their boas. I think Stephen Woods mentioned that the part that wrapped around the base also doubled as the boa

Attachment 18777

here's the outfits with just the base feathers. Scherrie is sitting on some sort of box or something and that's her black & white boa in the middle, though it looks like Cindy is holding it

Attachment 18778

here they're wearing both the top feathers and the bottom feathers

Attachment 18779

here you can see the lining of the top wrap which was sequin too. this is after the mexico fire which destroyed the original set. when they were remade, they didn't do the checker board on Scherrie's but just a black half and a white half.

Attachment 18780

for whatever reason they didn't seem to use either the top or bottom feathers in the Japan video where they wear these gowns. the other pics of seen of them on stage in these, they didn't either until i came across this one. based on scherrie's gown here, this is post Mexico fire so they upper wraps either survived the blaze or were remade. no idea about the lower ones

Attachment 18781

Thanks, Grant, for sharing the various combinations and changes. I'd thought Scherrie's gown was always half-black, half-white, but now I see you're right it was also [[originally) checkerboard. What gowns were destroyed in the Mexico fire--'cause I know you would be one who'd know!

And speaking of gowns... although the boas are a bit over the top and likely would've fared better at appearances in Las Vegas, I think the style of these gowns was pretty contemporary for the time. They weren't cut like '60s gowns at all. These gowns on MSC get a thumbs-up from me.

I'm certainly not an authority on the gowns. Brad worked with Mary for those years and has shared so much great info. Stephen woods has too. I've just typed what i've learned over the years into another of my infamous excel spreadsheets to save it lolol

some gowns were completely lost in Mexico, and some were repaired

yellow indian maiden gowns from GIT - lost
    yellow batwing gowns from GIT and last Sullivan - lost
    reworked/alter Forever Came Today gowns - lost
    gold Right On gowns - lost
    beige chandelier gowns - lost
    blue/green and silver No Matter What Sign pantsuits - lost
    red mini dresses from SMC debut on Sonny and Cher - damaged but repaired
    these Vegas gowns - lost but remade

i think the brown sequin pantsuits were there too but not damaged

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    And speaking of gowns... although the boas are a bit over the top and likely would've fared better at appearances in Las Vegas, I think the style of these gowns was pretty contemporary for the time. They weren't cut like '60s gowns at all. These gowns on MSC get a thumbs-up from me.
    agree! the accessories are over the top [[in a good way!) but it certainly gives them options and flexibility. they can spruce them up for the Vegas-style gigs. but then simplify them a bit for other performances. so they're glamorous and "Supreme" but not as over the top [[without the feather)

there were quite a few new gowns for the MSC lineup - and they're hit or miss IMO

the red Sonny & Cher mini dresses - i liked these! some fans thought they looked cheap but i thought they were pretty sensational and up to date. not as old fashioned as some of the retooled DRATS gowns

these Vegas gowns

the red sequin wrap gowns - these were super contemporary. looked great

the green chiffon - the bodices look hot! it's a snakeskin pattern and Scherrie's neckline had a snake going around her neck and Mary had some sequin cuffs with the patter. but the massive billowing chiffon skirt was like something out of Gone With The Wind

blue halter top ball gowns - these are in the Let Yourself Go cd booklet. they were big full gowns that were out of date looking, like the green ones

pink dress/pant dress - these didn't work at all IMO. the fabrics was so heavy and bulky. maybe a different material

black/bronze/burgundy dresses - they wore these on Sammy and Co. the accessories of fans and hats were frankly a bit much. but the dresses seemed pretty good

jesus robes - again i think the execution was off. these looked so bulky and heavy. i get the idea of a caftan/robe but something much lighter and sheer would have been better

zebra gowns - again, this fabric just looked SO heavy and hot

white/yellow/orange Tonight Show gowns - out of date ball gowns

Dream sequence outfits - the outfits worked for the segment but IMO the whole segment was WAAAYYYYYY too Vegas-y and out of date.