[REMOVE ADS]

Get's who made #3

Greatest female lead singers of all time: https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/10-grea...quMI_grwdayf1U

This is heavily skewed toward more contemporary singers. Where is Phyllis McGuire? Gladys Knight? Linda Ronstadt? Patti Andrews. Martha Reeves in her prime sang circles around Diana Ross as did Jean and Scherrie

I think it's just a typical dopey internet list. It really doesn't make sense. I mean Debby Harry at #1? In front of Ann Wilson? Stevie Nicks? Come on now.

Lists are always fun; when they are a little quirky or oddball, it always makes us think a little bit.

Exactly--same here. I love lists!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This is heavily skewed toward more contemporary singers. Where is Phyllis McGuire? Gladys Knight? Linda Ronstadt? Patti Andrews. Martha Reeves in her prime sang circles around Diana Ross as did Jean and Scherrie
    Nice that you mentioned the lead singers of the McGuires and Andrews Sisters. They are seldom mentioned anymore. As much as I love the Supremes, I question when it is said that they are the most successful female group of all time. The Andrews sold at least 70 million records, were in many movies, constantly on radio, often on TV, did well when appearing live in concert, and the surviving sisters even appeared on Broadway in a show called OVER HERE. And even there, they did something unique. After the show, they came out in front of the curtain and did a "third act" singing the Andrews Sisters hits.

I don't know what the measure is for most successful, but my opinion is that the Andrews Sisters were at least as successful and popular as the Supremes

But here I go again off subject
    We were talking about greatest lead female singers of all time, not the groups they came from

Name:  supreme-caric2.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  32.8 KB
    Last edited by milven; 03-10-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Don't you think the impact of the Supremes was greater?

When writers say the Supremes were the biggest selling female group, most are probably referring to their 12 #1 hits. I'm being generous here. nobody knows how many Supremes' records were actually sold especially considering their songs have been repackaged in various collections over the years. All that can be said for sure is that the group had 12 #1's and a bunch of top 10's/20's. Even that is a little suspect since Billboard and Cashbox's charts often contradicted each other.

I read the premise to be about who best takes charge of the stage, at being the front "man" of the group, what female did it best.....
    I've never seen many of them, so ....?

But what, no Wendy O??

...."Come on, man !!"

Fronting a band takes an immense amount of musical skill, the ability to captivate an audience, and a whole lot of guts—no easy feat for anyone.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-14-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I read the premise to be about who best takes charge of the stage, at being the front "man" of the group, what female did it best.....
    I've never seen many of them, so ....?
    That's how I understood the post's premise, too. In which case, Diana's at the top, both on music legacy and cultural impact.

well she was definitely the stage hog ....

...kidding !......mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    well she was definitely the stage hog ....

...kidding !......mostly
    Lol. Berry Gordy was the force behind the power. Amazing vision and decision, as it turned out. [[I'm grateful! )

Me too

Fronting a band takes an immense amount of musical skill, the ability to captivate an audience, and a whole lot of guts—no easy feat for anyone.

Boogie--I think you and I are brothers separated at birth!! "Come on, man!" LOL!! And Wendy O! Most people don't even know who she was! Remember Poly Styrene? lOL!!

hee hee ......coming right up:

OK, if we're going to go there:

come on,.... MAN !!!! LOL!!!!

LOL!! I was just going to bring up Nina Hagen!! Wanna hear my Nina Hagen story?

I do !!! Let me reheat my coffee....

Hee hee!! This is one of my most cherished memories from college. Back in, maybe, 1983, I went to see Miss Hagen perform in NYC with some college friends. It was either at the Ritz or Danceteria, I don't recall for sure. Anyway, Miss Hagen was as severe as we thought she'd be--singing in alternating operatic voices and demonic voices and I remember she had a giant pink mohawk! She played with the mohawk until it formed a giant unicorn horn atop her fabulous head! It was too much! Anyway, at the end of one song, I think it was Born in Ixxax, Nina abruptly left the stage amidst deafening guitar feedback. As the feedback continued, Miss Hagen came back onstage and she was carrying a baby!! We were all thinking this is too severe, even for Miss Hagen! Then she really stopped the show when she informed those of us in the audience "This is my baby Cosma Shiva. IT was sleeping backstage!" Well we just about died! Why would you bring IT to a raucous concert like that? It was truly insane like being in the presence of a deranged space goddess!!

tooo much Bobby. I believe every word though ! lol!

She sure was!!! They just don't make pop stars like that anymore

here's another one

haven't heard it in eons . still drives me nuts !

I met Laurie Anderson at a Nona Hendryx show back in the 80's. She was nice but kinda snooty. She plays the violin intro on Nona's song Design For Living.