One Woman - Platinum x 4
    Love Songs [[w MJ) -Platinum
    Voice Of Love - Gold
    40 Golden Motown Greats -Gold
    Love & Life - Platinum
    No.1.s [[w/Supremes) - Gold
    The Greatest - Silver

quite an impressive list !

Up to 1973 Certifications were based on the monetary value of shipments - what this was I don't know, but the only album in the above list which would come under this is Lady Sings The Blues which was a double album.

The 1977 compilation album 20 Golden Greats credited to Diana Ross & The Supremes was the 3rd biggest selling album of the year and 18th biggest seller of the 70s getting near 1m copies sold.

It is thought that some of Diana's albums are under-certified, if an award wasn't claimed within a year they usually didn't bother at all although some albums continued to sell.

The 1976 Diana Ross Greatest Hits package, labelled GH2 to distinguish it from the earlier Greatest Hits album released only in Europe, for some reason was never claimed Platinum although it sold way in excess of 300k.

It was the 14th biggest seller of 1976 and the 96th biggest seller of the decade and continued to sell in the next few years.

Interesting. It certainly highlights that to the public - they are after the hits collections - which is why they always want to hear what is viewed as the hits - Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Baby Love, Stop in the Name of Love, Mountain, Mahogany and I cringe but add I Will Survive

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Up to 1973 Certifications were based on the monetary value of shipments - what this was I don't know, but the only album in the above list which would come under this is Lady Sings The Blues which was a double album.

The 1977 compilation album 20 Golden Greats credited to Diana Ross & The Supremes was the 3rd biggest selling album of the year and 18th biggest seller of the 70s getting near 1m copies sold.

It is thought that some of Diana's albums are under-certified, if an award wasn't claimed within a year they usually didn't bother at all although some albums continued to sell.

The 1976 Diana Ross Greatest Hits package, labelled GH2 to distinguish it from the earlier Greatest Hits album released only in Europe, for some reason was never claimed Platinum although it sold way in excess of 300k.

It was the 14th biggest seller of 1976 and the 96th biggest seller of the decade and continued to sell in the next few years.
    A friend of mine who worked at EMI insists Eaten Alive sold more than it has credited for. I recall him claiming some of it's March 1986 sales were not recorded for some reason and Ms Ross was none too happy about it. There must be some creedence to the story because she even mentioned it to me in 1988, and it was most unusual for her to discuss such things.
    You are quite correct about the Greatest Hits2 collection not receiving it's true sales figures.
    I need to contact my friend. He is elderly and frail these days, but his mind remains razor sharp. Leave it with me.

Surprised that 'diana' didn't sell more.

I guess one of the problems with these certifications is that 285.000 units is still just gold and not platinum.