[REMOVE ADS]

Mary After Dreamgirl, What Did You Want to Hear?

It's been my belief that when Dreamgirl was released to amazing success, Mary should have pounced on the chance to turn that literary success and attention into some music success. I've always figured that radio would have given her a chance to at least try to make something work. Around that time we've heard Mary do some live rockish numbers, and then there's also her demos for Atlantic where she's going for a more r&b sound. I particularly like the cuts for Atlantic.

But what do you all think could've worked for Mary in that 1986-87 space in time? Keep in mind Mary was over 40, so it doesn't have to be music specifically to compete with the top stars of the day like MJ, Madonna, Whitney, Janet, etc. That would've been highly unlikely. But I imagine she could've released a couple decent selling singles and albums.

Who would you have paired her with? What songs were out at the time that you think Mary might have had a chance with?

The O’jays Backstabber.

unfortunately i think trying to "start" a pop career as a 42 black woman in the mid 80s is almost insurmountable. yes Mary had had tremendous success in the 60s and into the early 70s. but that was mostly over by 72, in terms of being a highly visible act. So the idea that the book could springboard her into the Top 40 was never gonna happen

now that doesn't mean she couldn't be recording or having a strong career in another avenue. the music that Anita Baker was recording could almost all been recorded by Mary. the AC market was becoming stronger and more popular. and i always thought Mary could have explored a more jazz oriented approach to songs too.

An album of torch songs/showstoppers/covers would have been perfect.

A Song for You
    How Lucky Can You Get
    Don't Cry Out Loud
    My Way
    Evergreen
    and of course a nod to "Dreamgirls" with I Am Changing.

It may not have been radio friendly, but certainly something to augment in her live act. I can hear Mary singing each if them.

The pop career was never going to happen at that point in time. She would have been better served recording a Norah Jones type album or something similar to what Eva Cassidy did with Chuck Brown on her “The Other Side” album.
    As MB points out, something to enhance and augment her live act and hopefully build a following away from her being one of the ladies who supplied the ooohs on those Supremes hits.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    An album of torch songs/showstoppers/covers would have been perfect.

A Song for You
    How Lucky Can You Get
    Don't Cry Out Loud
    My Way
    Evergreen
    and of course a nod to "Dreamgirls" with I Am Changing.

It may not have been radio friendly, but certainly something to augment in her live act. I can hear Mary singing each if them.
    We could always add:

The Way We Were
    Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars [[as a stand alone track and in it's entirety).
    Piano In The Dark

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    unfortunately i think trying to "start" a pop career as a 42 black woman in the mid 80s is almost insurmountable. yes Mary had had tremendous success in the 60s and into the early 70s. but that was mostly over by 72, in terms of being a highly visible act. So the idea that the book could springboard her into the Top 40 was never gonna happen

now that doesn't mean she couldn't be recording or having a strong career in another avenue. the music that Anita Baker was recording could almost all been recorded by Mary. the AC market was becoming stronger and more popular. and i always thought Mary could have explored a more jazz oriented approach to songs too.
    That's why I said she didn't have to compete with the big stars. It was a different day and for someone of her age to score a first time solo big hit would've been unlikely, though not impossible. I do think that if Mary had recorded "Piano In the Dark" instead of Brenda Russell, she could've had a hit with it. Same with the stuff Anita was doing. Even if it was just an excellent album, with the attention Mary was getting at the time, she could've had a decent to good selling album, or albums.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    That's why I said she didn't have to compete with the big stars. It was a different day and for someone of her age to score a first time solo big hit would've been unlikely, though not impossible. I do think that if Mary had recorded "Piano In the Dark" instead of Brenda Russell, she could've had a hit with it. Same with the stuff Anita was doing. Even if it was just an excellent album, with the attention Mary was getting at the time, she could've had a decent to good selling album, or albums.
    I think Brenda Russell as opposed to Anita Baker would have been the right template for Mary to aim for. Anita is technically a much better singer then either Mary or Brenda with a more distinctive sound. Her unique phrasing played a huge part in making those songs so memorable.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 03-14-2021 at 09:18 AM.

I like the songs she did U.,,,,Turn Around.
    Both great tunes

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I like the songs she did U.,,,,Turn Around.
    Both great tunes
    “U” is a terrific song that still sounds fresh and relevant today. Mary sounds right at home in this slow-jam, r & b setting. Her voice demonstrates some real bite towards the end, highlighting her vocal versatility.
    I wish she had been given the opportunity to recorded more songs in this vein.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think Brenda Russell as opposed to Anita Baker would have been the right template for Mary to aim for. Anita is technically a much better singer then either Mary or Brenda with a more distinctive sound. Her unique phrasing played a huge part in making those songs so memorable.
    I think a lot of those songs were just great on their own, Anita was just the icing on the cake. She recorded some fantastic stuff. Was Mary going to sound like Anita on those same songs? Nope. But the style fit Mary's voice. Interestingly enough, both women had been told they couldn't sing. Apparently Anita didn't allow that to deter her and we got some of my favorite albums of all time out of her.

My fav Mary cut from the 90s is "Shelter Me". Love that one.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think a lot of those songs were just great on their own, Anita was just the icing on the cake. She recorded some fantastic stuff. Was Mary going to sound like Anita on those same songs? Nope. But the style fit Mary's voice. Interestingly enough, both women had been told they couldn't sing. Apparently Anita didn't allow that to deter her and we got some of my favorite albums of all time out of her.
    For me Anita was more then just the icing, she was the essential ingredient of the entire mix. As much as I enjoy both Mary and Brenda, i don’t think either of those ladies could bring to those songs the kind of soulful sophistication that Anita did.
    Agree that “ Shelter Me” is a good fit for Mary. The kind of song she should have been recording way back in 79.