[REMOVE ADS]

comparing final JML shows with early SMC shows

in another thread we were talking about how Scherrie and Cindy seemed to help revive some interest in the group and gain some notice. thought we could compare the MJL and SCM lineups and shows.

**note this isn't a bashing thread. let's focus on the songs, approaches in their arrangements and stage act

the earliest show info i have for SMC is the Live In Japan set from 74

This Dream
    Stoned Love
    The way we were/maybe this time
    60s medley
    70s medley
    can't take my eyes/quiet nights
    touch
    bad weather
    love train

the MJL show in japan was

TCB/Stop/60s medley
    for once in my lif/i'll take you there/cabaret
    stoned love
    can't take my eyes/quiet nights
    70s medley
    60s medley
    Bad Weather
    Cherry Pie
    Tossin and Turnin
    Somewhere

plus i believe they did You're Nobody but it was cut from the lp

Actually MacArthur Park was cut from the 73 album.

thanks!! good to know. i know Jean did a few different solo numbers but they also sometimes did MP as a trio.

i was a bit surprised at how similar the shows were. of course there are several DRATS era songs re-introduced in the MJL show

I also have a recording MSC singing "Mercedes Benz" that's not the Merv Griffin performance. I haven't listened to it in years, but I think they slowed down the song a bit, making it less campy. I'm guessing the recording was from '74.

Mary also mentioned in "Supreme Faith" that they sang "Somewhere" at Scherrie's debut performance.

I love how Jean sings the intro of Stoned Love but the rest of the songs just sounds weak to me. Stoned Love the following year with Scherrie sounds much better. For me it's the backing band that's the problem. The 1974 one has a lot more oomph. Same with Badweather in 1973. It makes me want to fall asleep while when Scherrie sings it in 1974 I want to get up and move!
    Jean did a great version of Badweather on Soul Train. I'm not sure if it was pre-recorded but that version sounds even better than the released single version.
    Back to the Japan sets. I think Cherrie Pie is just a bad song choice but that's just my opinion. Definitely not a song I want to listen to if I were a teen. But am I wrong when I say that they sang before a more mature audience in Japan?

I am probably one of the few who would love the 1974 Japan set, cleaned up, on CD.

Sorry just realized it is a comparison with the last shows with JML and early show with MSC and not with just the Japan sets lol. Drop Cherrie Pie and Tossin and Turnin. Also notice that there's no big hit in either of the sets. By this time Stones Love was well over 2.5 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Sorry just realized it is a comparison with the last shows with JML and early show with MSC and not with just the Japan sets lol. Drop Cherrie Pie and Tossin and Turnin. Also notice that there's no big hit in either of the sets. By this time Stones Love was well over 2.5 years old.
    very interesting feedback on the sets though. i agree with you that the band on the JML on just wasn't "right." they of course played the notes correctly but i really can feel in BW how something is just off.

One thing i noticed in the MSC Japan set was an increase in the 3-part harmonies and more splitting of the leads. While Lynda got You're Nobody and a line in For Once In My Life, Cindy seems to have a larger role throughout the show. maybe part of that is we have the video of MSC. but it does seem that post Jean and Lynda, there was an attempt to distribute leads a bit more.

The 1973 Japan JLM show sounds like a lounge act. Am I too harsh in saying this lol. Yes it definitely sounds as if MSC are doing a lot more 3-part harmonies. The intro of Badweather for example where Mary, Scherrie and Cindy all do the Hoo hoo hoo's, which is missing in the JML line-up.

I also like how MSC finish with Love Train and share lead. I'm sure that JML did it too but I haven't heard any good live versions of them singing it. Harsh again but TCB is another song that JML should have omitted. Does anyone know who was in charge of selecting the songs?

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    The 1973 Japan JLM show sounds like a lounge act. Am I too harsh in saying this lol. Yes it definitely sounds as if MSC are doing a lot more 3-part harmonies. The intro of Badweather for example where Mary, Scherrie and Cindy all do the Hoo hoo hoo's, which is missing in the JML line-up.

I also like how MSC finish with Love Train and share lead. I'm sure that JML did it too but I haven't heard any good live versions of them singing it. Harsh again but TCB is another song that JML should have omitted. Does anyone know who was in charge of selecting the songs?
    i don't know who picked the songs. I'd imagine motown and with some influence from the girls

if you go to Youtube, there's a great version of Love Train and O Happy Day with MJL. Lynda does an amazing quick turn on lead to a bit of O Happy Day