[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    G-D it! I knew I left out something but couldn't think of it. Thanks PMG. I'm just feeling so blue with the passing of so many friends.
    I know. It's been a hell of a year. Here, have a hug. It'll make you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I know. It's been a hell of a year. Here, have a hug. It'll make you feel better.
    Thank you. I'll take it. And here is one for you right back at'cha.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I was hoping the Atlantic tracks would make it onto this. Maybe a future comp? In any case, great news for Mary fans. How interesting it would be if the re-issue out sold the original release? Mary would have loved that. Also, love him or dislike him, I have to imagine that most of us have let Marv cross our minds with this news. He would've been over the moon.
    Now Marv and his buddy Mary can be together! Bet neither of them saw that coming, Ran!!!

Thank you. I'll take it. And here is one for you right back at'cha.
    Thanks, thanxal!!!

Since the physical CD has been somewhat announced, PLEASE, PLEASE do not use that horrific green border. The cover is beautiful as is.

Very excited about this release.....on physical form. I wonder what other "expanded" gens will be included? I almost wish this was a MARY WILSON set, versus a "Mary Wilson" Expanded. I wonder how well her "new" music will fit in with everything else?

I'd love to see this include "Send Him To Me", "If You Let Me" and "Preacher Man".

Trust me though, I'll be more than pleased with whatever is included.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Since the physical CD has been somewhat announced, PLEASE, PLEASE do not use that horrific green border. The cover is beautiful as is.
    Amen to that - green border ruins it!

The countdown is on until the download becomes available! This Friday!

The entire album is now available [on Apple Music]. I'm enjoying the hell out of it at the moment. Go Mary!

Thanks to George, Andy and everyone involved at Universal. It sounds sooooo good.
    Last edited by thanxal; 04-16-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I will definitely get the CD when it's released.

I had always hoped that when this album was released on CD that an Expanded Edition would include the solos Mary recorded while with The Supremes, particularly from the 70s.
    My apologies John. I disagreed with your opinion. For some reason [[because I'm stupid) the way I read your comment was Mary's unreleased leads should've been placed on her EE. I don't like that idea. But I do think the EE would've been more fitting to include Mary's released leads with the Supremes, particularly from the 70s.

The entire album is now available [on Apple Music]. I'm enjoying the hell out of it at the moment. Go Mary!

Thanks to George, Andy and everyone involved at Universal. It sounds sooooo good.
    Gonna download it today. Fingers crossed that George and Andy have worked their magic again and have made Mary's debut album much more listenable than I have ever found it. Wish Mary was around for this day.

#3 with a bullet on iTunes' r&b chart!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Wow, that's great!

Been listening this morning and the sound quality is fantastic I am especially happy to hear the four Gus Dudgeon tracks in such clarity, long at last! A night and day improvement over those old bootleg copies. These four tracks deserved to be released back in 1980.

So happy! Looking forward to the eventual CD release as well

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Fingers crossed that George and Andy have worked their magic again and have made Mary's debut album much more listenable than I have ever found it.
    It's like buttah. I'm verklempt.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    ...and currently #55 on iTunes Top 100 Albums charts. Keep downloading guys!

Just downloaded it. I won't have a chance to fully listen to it till tomorrow though. Its the first time I'll be hearing her solo album in full.

Downloaded today and played 4 times. Sound is so clear.
    so nice to have a non bootleg copy.
    and high quality Gus tracks too.

shame there no digital booklet.. I’m hoping there’s a booklet when the cd comes [[any news when?)

thank you Andy S and UME

The album got a mention on a UMe marketing email I got this afternoon. Probably more publicity than Motown gave it when initially released!!! I was thrilled to see it on mass marketing.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 3.48.51 PM.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  9.9 KB
    Last edited by thanxal; 04-16-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Today's release may also be enjoyed on YouTube at Mary Wilson- Topic

Great article about "Mary Wilson: Expanded Edition" being released and includes a tiny, tiny glimmer of hope for more Supremes music coming...someday...in Variety.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...lo-1234953652/

I am so thrilled that at LONG LAST we have finally received an official digital release of these tracks. That being said: I am disappointed in the audio quality of "You dance my heart.." The quality is basically the same as I got with the bootleg I purchased 20+ years ago. Mary's vocals need to be brought forward! I hope we get to hear a "cleaner, brighter" version someday.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Great article about "Mary Wilson: Expanded Edition" being released and includes a tiny, tiny glimmer of hope for more Supremes music coming...someday...in Variety.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...lo-1234953652/
    Great article. Thanks for posting.
    The one quote that made me smile and hopeful came from Mary's daughter when she stated that additional volumes of her mother's unreleased music, along with a slate of rarities coming from Motown/UMe's Supremes collection.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Great article. Thanks for posting.
    The one quote that made me smile and hopeful came from Mary's daughter when she stated that additional volumes of her mother's unreleased music, along with a slate of rarities coming from Motown/UMe's Supremes collection.
    Rumour has it that March 2035 has been pencilled in as a tentative release date. I can’t wait...

Downloaded my copy on Amazon.co.uk yesterday. I was confused as there were 16 tracks and not the 15 shown on the page. The extra track was the single version on "Pick Up The Pieces".

I'm really impressed with the audio quality of this release! I've never heard a clean copy of the '79 album and have a new appreciation for it. The Gus Dudgeon tracks are stellar. I wonder if "Red Hot" would have done any better if they had used the "B-Side" version as the single mix. I've always loved the 12" version.

They did right by Mary. I honestly never thought I would see any of these tracks remastered. Ever. A physical released with booklet would have been ideal, but what really matters to me is the audio quality.

Downloaded the album yesterday. Didn't get a chance to listen until today. I echo Thornton's post. My experience with Mary's debut album was via a rip someone did for me years ago. Having this clean copy allows my ears a new listen, as if it's the first time I've ever heard the album. Some opinions have remained the same, while others have changed. Thinking about doing a separate thread. The forum has been flooded with Diana threads. Time to give Mary some more attention.

Also great to have a non-bootleg copy of the GD tracks. The fellas have given us another winner here. Mary would have loved this.

I really liked it. I especially liked the Gus Dungeon tracks. Its a shame they didn't do a whole album. Listening to it made me realize it still doesn't feel real for me that Mary is gone. Its so weird. I really wish she was here to promote this release and I know she would have promoted the hell out of it.

Got my copy.loved green river
    Was hoping other MW tracks may make it such as U, Turn Around .
    Maybe for digital release.
    Have to find my copy of turn around
    Great job Andy and team

Yes, I've been meaning to comment that the album was missing the UK Single Edit of "Pick Up The Pieces". The B side was the album version of "You're The Light...". Yes, it does not show on either amazonUK or itunesUK download. Presumably it would feature on both. I am trying to hold out for the CD!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Got my copy.loved green river
    Was hoping other MW tracks may make it such as U, Turn Around .
    Maybe for digital release.
    Have to find my copy of turn around
    Great job Andy and team
    I think I had heard all of the Gus Dungeon track before except this one. It reminds me of Tina Turner in places. I very much enjoy all those Dungeon tracks.

There is actually an Instrumental version of "Red Hot" which was released - by mistake! I bought a 2 CD compilation, "The Ultimate Motown Collection: Soul Sisters":

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-...elease/9865985

Primarily to get the single version of Mary's "Red Hot" and Scherrie Payne's "Fly". Only to discover that "Red Hot" only had backing vocals on the track!

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Rumour has it that March 2035 has been pencilled in as a tentative release date. I can’t wait...
    This was posted on the Diana Ross & the Supremes Expanded Editions Facebook page:

"the CD release date has not been announced yet. We are anticipating [[hoping) for end of summer/early fall."

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    This was posted on the Diana Ross & the Supremes Expanded Editions Facebook page:

"the CD release date has not been announced yet. We are anticipating [[hoping) for end of summer/early fall."
    Thanks for the info lucky.

Re: Pick Up The Pieces [[Single Version):
    I just downloaded the album from AmazonUK as well. No 16th track! It's the same with iTunes UK. Why are you so special?!

Those bonus tracks are excellent! Unfortunately the rest of the album is still rather nondescript after all these years...

While waiting for the official CD release, I put my audio files from the iTunes digital release onto a homemade CD-R. I went searching online to find high quality scans of the original artwork, so I could print them at home for my own inserts. I was able to find a high quality version of the front cover from the digital release, and removed the green border. I was not able to find a clear scan of the back cover, so I ended up taking a photo of the back cover of my vinyl copy with my DSLR camera and cleaned it up as best as I could. I figured perhaps I would share, in case anyone else wants to have clean artwork to upload to their digital music library for this release and/or print at home. The image resolution is reduced in this post, but once you open it in a new window or save it to your computer, it should appear a bit more larger and sharp. Or you can try this download link for the back cover: https://ibb.co/7K2xcVh

Name:  cover final.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  mw back cover original-FINAL.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  84.4 KB
    Last edited by carlo; 05-23-2021 at 04:48 PM.

Carlo,

how thoughtful of you! The scans look great and I’m sure many of the fans will appreciate what you’ve done. You’re a very generous person, my friend.

One thing you have to say, regardless of what you think of the album. I don’t think Mary ever looked better.

K

My pleasure, Kenneth Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, our Mary did look ever so supreme in this photoshoot!

There seemed to be a lot of great press surrounding this; I'm still hopeful this will be released on physical format.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    There seemed to be a lot of great press surrounding this; I'm still hopeful this will be released on physical format.
    Yes, there did seem to be a good amount of press regarding the release on digital download. I am not sure how well it did, but remember reading here that it made some iTunes charts. I just wonder if initial enthusiasm started to fade because I have not seen anything about a physical CD. In her last video, I think it was even hinted that there was "a lot more". I would love to see this released on CD. This being the 60th Anniversary of the Supremes signing to Motown, it certainly would make sense to do it before the year is over. I did get an email from Universal/Mary Wilson regarding an article for Pride Month, so there is still some press out there. Here's hoping...

I, too, am still holding out for the physical CD.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Yes, there did seem to be a good amount of press regarding the release on digital download. I am not sure how well it did, but remember reading here that it made some iTunes charts. I just wonder if initial enthusiasm started to fade because I have not seen anything about a physical CD. In her last video, I think it was even hinted that there was "a lot more". I would love to see this released on CD. This being the 60th Anniversary of the Supremes signing to Motown, it certainly would make sense to do it before the year is over. I did get an email from Universal/Mary Wilson regarding an article for Pride Month, so there is still some press out there. Here's hoping...
    It might be mentioned above, but there was talk that this would indeed come in physical form in late summer / early fall. I suppose we're still a bit outside of the window; I just hate for it to lose the momentum it garnered when it was first announced.