[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Motown/UMe Announces Expanded Edition Of Mary Wilson’s 1979 Solo Debut

Wonderful news! Now how about that expanded edition of Reflections, too?

I can't believe this is finally happening. I always thought it was a decent disco album, and I can't wait to hear cleaned up versions of the bonus tracks.

This is brilliant news, even though it's tinged with the sadness that Mary never saw these tracks finally released.

The new track "why can't we all get along" is superb, and Mary's voice, as always, rich and shows her ability.

Although I don't normally buy a download, I shall be making an exception for this 'Expanded Edition'.

just downloaded from Itunes but it states expected April 16.
    did get 1 song, Why Cant We All Get along, nice. sad to see her not be here for this but shes looking down on the love

Anyone know if its download only or if there will be a physical product as well? I'm media agnostic but don't want to buy the downloads and then find out a CD is on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Anyone know if its download only or if there will be a physical product as well? I'm media agnostic but don't want to buy the downloads and then find out a CD is on the way.
    Andy Skurow posted the following on Facebook:
    "Since early this morning I wanted to post our formal announcement from UMG about the release of Mary Wilson - Expanded Edition. It’s very exciting, and we are very happy about it. Yes, it is digital only for the moment, but physical is on its way, hopefully soon. And more surprises to follow after.

Thank you so much Mary Wilson

#MaryWilson
    #PromisesKept
    #Motown
    #DreamsDoComeTrue"

A physical edition is indeed good news

I responded in a different thread about this. I am very glad to hear there will be a physical release of this forthcoming. Of course we can all rely on what Andy tells us. I’ll hold off till the physical release; I don’t have the patience, temperament or organizational abilities to manage downloads!

Kenneth:

You are preaching to the choir here. I am old school and would only be interested in a CD release as well.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Kenneth:

You are preaching to the choir here. I am old school and would only be interested in a CD release as well.
    And I am cynical enough to always wonder if they just use the digital release to more or less test the water before deciding whether or not the physical product will follow. I think even back in the day when there would be mono and stereo releases at different times or later LP and cassette releases at different times, I always wondered if it was due to the production schedule and physical manufacturing of the product or if it was another way to try to get us to buy two of the same thing. I don’t remember if it was a song by the Smiths or by Morrissey as a solo, but I remember a line from one of his songs that said “the same song with different sleeves… Buy two and feel deceived!”
    Last edited by kenneth; 03-06-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Andy Skurow posted the following on Facebook:
    "Since early this morning I wanted to post our formal announcement from UMG about the release of Mary Wilson - Expanded Edition. It’s very exciting, and we are very happy about it. Yes, it is digital only for the moment, but physical is on its way, hopefully soon. And more surprises to follow after.

Thank you so much Mary Wilson

#MaryWilson
    #PromisesKept
    #Motown
    #DreamsDoComeTrue"
    Thanks Jaap. I no longer go to Facebook so appreciate the paste. Andy continues to tease with that last bit. Maybe we’ll get a surprise announcement on Reflections EE soon.

A CD release of the album will come later. How much later is still unknown.

Thanks Jaap. I no longer go to Facebook so appreciate the paste. Andy continues to tease with that last bit. Maybe we’ll get a surprise announcement on Reflections EE soon.
    Yes, please! I really hope the Expanded Editions make it all the way through Cream of the Crop at least [[is it too much to also hope they go through the 70’s, too?) I’ll buy it all - physical, digital, heiroglyph, and stone tablet!

I was notified today but when I saw streaming and download, my heart sank. Physical CD ONLY for me. They know this but it's also a good way to get it out there timely close to Mary's wishes and birthday. A bittersweet time but we all love her. Now, Andrew, I am going to hold you to the physical CD coming soon. Then we have Reflections yet. Make this a YEAR!!!

Maybe a second release for Diana's birthday

Wasn't green River recorded during this time??

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Yes, please! I really hope the Expanded Editions make it all the way through Cream of the Crop at least [[is it too much to also hope they go through the 70’s, too?) I’ll buy it all - physical, digital, heiroglyph, and stone tablet!
    This made me laugh out loud. That’s the spirit! I’ll take smoke signal, too!😎

I think the ‘Clarity tracks and more recent recordings would make for a better representation of Mary’s abilities. Nice to have the bonus tracks, but in truth not so excited about the less then good debut album.

I was hoping the Atlantic tracks would make it onto this. Maybe a future comp? In any case, great news for Mary fans. How interesting it would be if the re-issue out sold the original release? Mary would have loved that. Also, love him or dislike him, I have to imagine that most of us have let Marv cross our minds with this news. He would've been over the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Wasn't green River recorded during this time??
    Daviddh, yes, it is one of the four songs she recorded that remained unreleased for many years. I didn’t see a Tracklisting in the link but I’m sure it’s on the expanded version of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I was hoping the Atlantic tracks would make it onto this. Maybe a future comp? In any case, great news for Mary fans. How interesting it would be if the re-issue out sold the original release? Mary would have loved that. Also, love him or dislike him, I have to imagine that most of us have let Marv cross our minds with this news. He would've been over the moon.
    Green River is on the Apple Music tracklist. And yes, I'm fairly confident we would have heard A LOT from Marv2 about this.

I did not like this LP but I will get it .......Missing Mary.

On the tribute show to Mary streaming tonight, Andy said that the physical CD will be released April 16th

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    This made me laugh out loud. That’s the spirit! I’ll take smoke signal, too!
    Ha! Me, too!

Just three words from me: ABOUT! EFFING! TIME!!

Kenneth--the Smiths song you are thinking of is Paint a Vulgar Picture

i'm mostly excited about 2 things - the unreleased Dungeon tracks and the completist aspect of getting this album.

for the most part, the 4 gus tunes are really very good. Danced My Heart and Save Me were just excellent and reveal what Mary could really do. we've all speculated on here many times about the whole situation of Mary's solo career at Motown. But these songs do definitely indicate a real potential

unfortunately the 79 albums doesn't. as a fan i'm glad to get it for my collection. but the majority of the tunes are just, frankly, inferior. Pick Up The Pieces is marginal at best.

But at least now we have this and partners on digital format!

"PARTNERS" was released on CD several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Kenneth--the Smiths song you are thinking of is Paint a Vulgar Picture
    that’s the one...now I remember! Thanks!

No prob! The Smiths are my favorite 80's band! "Reissue repackage repackage..."

Thrilled by this news! It's been a long time coming!

I will definitely get the CD when it's released.

I had always hoped that when this album was released on CD that an Expanded Edition would include the solos Mary recorded while with The Supremes, particularly from the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post

I had always hoped that when this album was released on CD that an Expanded Edition would include the solos Mary recorded while with The Supremes, particularly from the 70s.
    I’m rather gutted it didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm glad this set did not include them. When Diana went solo, they weren't including old Supremes tracks on her discs and the EEs don't do that either. I like that Mary finally gets to stand on her own two feet. This EE gives her the respect she is due for the hard work of finally transcending the Supremes. I don't think anyone considers her solo album a landmark recording, but she is at least getting showcased as "Mary Wilson". Not of the Supremes, by the Supremes, or for the Supremes. She deserves her own solo EE and that's exactly what we got.

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm glad this set did not include them. When Diana went solo, they weren't including old Supremes tracks on her discs and the EEs don't do that either. I like that Mary finally gets to stand on her own two feet. This EE gives her the respect she is due for the hard work of finally transcending the Supremes. I don't think anyone considers her solo album a landmark recording, but she is at least getting showcased as "Mary Wilson". Not of the Supremes, by the Supremes, or for the Supremes. She deserves her own solo EE and that's exactly what we got.
    Agree 1000 percent. A couple of Flo leads were included on her solo release but I don't remember the EEs being a thing then.

Save something for the Supremes EEs or lost and found, though I do understand the desire to have these Mary leads in any possible way.

I disagree. From a 2021 perspective, Mary has released considerably less music then Diana. Any additional Mary leads that could be added to this package would surely be a bonus for most fans. It’s not as if it’s going to appear anywhere else this time soon.
    Had the Mary Wilson album been at least half good i might possibly think differently.
    Including songs such as as “Teardrops” her lead on “Your What’s Missing or “You Are The Heart Of Me as bonus tracks would only help to enhance her reputation as a solo singer, not turn the spotlight away.

This discussion prompts me to post a new thread regarding Mary's leads with the Supremes.

I agree that Mary Wilson needs a showcase. Her solo album alone may not generate the attention and accolades she deserves. I'm happy that her album is finally being released, along with the long-anticipated Gus Dudgeon tracks.

I always hoped a MW-EE would include solo versions of the songs in which she shared lead, such as Touch, Floy Joy, Automatically Sunshine and He's My Man. In addition it would include her excellent solo work from the 70s while still one of the Supremes. I would not be interested in any songs from the 60s even though I like most of those.

With a thanks to sup_fan for compiling a list of Mary's recordings, this is what I would put on a Disc 2 if there were to be an EE with a second disc. [[But maybe this could be a Disc 1 of another release.)

A heart like mine [[lead) - Floy Joy
    I keep it hid [[lead) - Jimmy Webb
    Still water [[lead) - Promises Kept tracks
    Where is it I Belong [[lead) - Sup 75
    Early morning love [[lead) - Sup 75
    you turn me around [[lead) - Sup 75
    Mr Boogie [[lead) - Sup 75 outtake
    Can we love again [[ lead) - Sup 75 outtake
    Give out dont' give up [[lead) sup 75 outtake
    Don't let my teardrops bother you - HE
    Till the boat sails away - HE
    I don't want to lose you - HE
    You're what's missing in my life [[lead) - HE EE
    We should be closer together [[lead) - MS&S
    You are the heart of me [[lead) - MS&S

Maybe these singles [[but preferably solo versions of):
    Touch [[duet lead) - Touch
    Floy Joy [[duet lead) - Floy Joy
    Automatically sunshine [[duet lead) - Floy Joy
    He's My man [[duet lead) - Sup 75

The UK digital album download has disappeared on both itunes and amazon. Does the mean that they are holding off for a combined physical release?

The single of Why ... is on Spotify, who show it as having 1,868 streams. They are using the artwork of the lp but the lp itself is not on Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    The single of Why ... is on Spotify, who show it as having 1,868 streams. They are using the artwork of the lp but the lp itself is not on Spotify.
    The full LP is supposed to be released digitally on April 16. Although I have seen various posts from fans today on Facebook, noting that the single was pulled from iTunes and Amazon. Hopefully it will be reposted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    The full LP is supposed to be released digitally on April 16. Although I have seen various posts from fans today on Facebook, noting that the single was pulled from iTunes and Amazon. Hopefully it will be reposted soon.
    Yes, certainly - unfortunate that it was pulled for now.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yes, certainly - unfortunate that it was pulled for now.
    From what I saw, it is still available both on iTunes and Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish46 View Post
    From what I saw, it is still available both on iTunes and Spotify.
    Why Can't We All Get Along was gone yesterday from Apple Music/iTunes but is back now. The whole EE has not been released yet.

Why Can't We All Get Along was gone yesterday from Apple Music/iTunes but is back now. The whole EE has not been released yet.
    Thanks for the update, thanxal. This means they were likely just updating something with the audio file itself, such as the ID3 tag. Makes sense it became available again today since major record labels do their digital uploads at midnight on Friday, for their new releases.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    On the tribute show to Mary streaming tonight, Andy said that the physical CD will be released April 16th
    That's great news, Milven. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    That's great news, Milven. Thanks!
    Glad to hear this. Mary DESERVES whatever format is released... cylinder, 78rpm, 45rpm, 33 1/3rpm, reel-to-reel, 8 track cassette, 4 track cassette, CD, mini-CD, SACD, new vinyl, digital, streaming, or whatever. I'll buy 'em all. Still miss her.
    Last edited by thanxal; 03-26-2021 at 09:21 PM. Reason: error in chronological order

Glad to hear this. Mary DESERVES whatever format is released... cylinder, 78rpm, 45rpm, 33 1/3rpm, reel-to-reel, 8 track cassette, 4 track cassette, CD, mini-CD, SACD, new vinyl, digital, streaming, or whatever. I'll buy 'em all. Still miss her.
    I miss Mary, too, thanxal. Still can't believe she's gone. PS: You left out 16 rpm! Ha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I miss Mary, too, thanxal. Still can't believe she's gone. PS: You left out 16 rpm! Ha!!!
    G-D it! I knew I left out something but couldn't think of it. Thanks PMG. I'm just feeling so blue with the passing of so many friends.