[REMOVE ADS]

Get On Board The Soul Train: The Sound Of Philadelphia International Records Volume 1

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...9e5b408368cd52
    Description
    8CD Book set with bonus 12 inch single. United Souls, in conjunction with Sony Legacy Recordings, is delighted to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Philadelphia International Records with the eagerly anticipated release of Get On Board The Soul Train - The Sound Of Philadelphia International Records Volume 1. This is the first volume in a limited edition series which covers the first eight studio albums released by the label from 1971-1973. The series, in which all album are re-mastered from the original tapes, will map the history of Philadelphia International Records chronologically. Housed in a stylish 48 page slipcased book, the edition is strictly limited to 2500 copies. It also includes a numbered certificate of authenticity, an exclusive 12" single and a unique poster. The detailed 48 page hard cover book, including rare photographs was compiled and curated in association with PIR artists, engineers and producers, with liner notes by Tony Cummings [[Author of The Sound of Philadelphia) and a foreword by Ralph Tee. The eight classic albums included in Volume 1 comprise: Billy Paul - Going East/Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - I Miss You/The O'Jays - Back Stabbers/Billy Paul - 360 Degrees of Billy Paul/Dick Jensen - Dick Jensen/The Intruders - Save the Children/MFSB - MFSB/Billy Paul - Ebony Woman. Exclusive 12"- The O'Jays - Back Stabbers / MFSB - Back Stabbers.
    Release date may, 28,2021
    Name:  51Vihk33UeL.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  63.6 KB

Wow! This first box set celebrating the 50th Anniversary of PIR really looks great. Thanks for the info jack020.

Looks an amazing set, especially the book, only seen it listed in The USA, cost $149.99! the site shows more details and photo's.

https://criminalatl.com/UPC/636551820851

Hope the price will come down on the European sites! Thanks for the info

That would be nice here also. I thought these 50th Anniversary post would have more traffic. Anyone know another site that does Philly specifically?

That would be nice here also. I thought these 50th Anniversary threads would have more traffic. Anyone know another site that does Philly specifically?

I already have this music, but the booklet makes this set all the more attractive.

I already have multiple copies of this music, but the booklet makes this set all the more attractive.

Anyone here pre-order the set? It comes out this Friday [[May 28th). In a way, I want to cancel my order as I already have the music except for Dick Jensen whom I've never heard of. Is he any good? Also, I wonder are they going to release the Cowboys To Girls, The Intruders Are Together and This Is My Love Song albums. I know only the last album [[TIMLS) was released in the early 70's so why did it not make the volume one cut?
    I also hope they release The Ojays In Philadelphia and the Billy Paul albums that were also on the Neptune label during the 50th year celebration. I've never heard the latter either.
    Last edited by mr_june; 05-25-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Anyone here pre-order the set? It comes out this Friday [[May 28th). In a way, I want to cancel my order as I already have the music except for Dick Jensen whom I've never heard of. Is he any good? Also, I wonder are they going to release the Cowboys To Girls, The Intruders Are Together and This Is My Love Song albums. I know only the last album [[TIMLS) was released in the early 70's so why did it not make the volume one cut?
    I also hope they release The Ojays In Philadelphia and the Billy Paul albums that were also on the Neptune label during the 50th year celebration. I've never heard the latter either.
    Yes, I preordered the set and we have similar feelings regarding what's already in our respective collections. The only thing I'm particularly curious about is the sound quality as the remasters are supposedly from first generation tapes. Otherwise there'd be no incentive for me either. I don't think eight albums is enough for the price tag. I have the Dick Jensen album though, Big Break Records reissued it awhile back. Dick was a nice singer and great entertainer, but I would only recommend it if you're a hardcore P.I.R. fan who has to have everything. It's the only one he recorded for G&H and they produced the bulk of it, but they needed more time in my opinion. It also feels rushed and the songs seem like what I call "Piano Benchers".The relationship dissolved much too fast for them to get a grip on what was perfect for Dick. As far as the reissue campaign, I believe they are restricting this to just the P.I.R. stuff. Most of The Intruders music was released on Gamble records before the CBS deal. Those would be a separate release in my estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Yes, I preordered the set and we have similar feelings regarding what's already in our respective collections. The only thing I'm particularly curious about is the sound quality as the remasters are supposedly from first generation tapes. Otherwise there'd be no incentive for me either. I don't think eight albums is enough for the price tag. I have the Dick Jensen album though, Big Break Records reissued it awhile back. Dick was a nice singer and great entertainer, but I would only recommend it if you're a hardcore P.I.R. fan who has to have everything. It's the only one he recorded for G&H and they produced the bulk of it, but they needed more time in my opinion. It also feels rushed and the songs seem like what I call "Piano Benchers".The relationship dissolved much too fast for them to get a grip on what was perfect for Dick. As far as the reissue campaign, I believe they are restricting this to just the P.I.R. stuff. Most of The Intruders music was released on Gamble records before the CBS deal. Those would be a separate release in my estimation.
    Thanks Quinn. My wife wanted to get me a Arcade 1 UP system [[Birth day present) but I didn't want her to spend that much so instead I might ask her to get this but at this point I'm even less sure about getting it. Thanks for the Dick Jensen info also and I hope the Intruders do get the long deserved releases of all of their materials.
    Last edited by mr_june; 05-26-2021 at 12:18 PM.

I could not help it but I ordered it yesterday for a reasonable price from JPC.de

Received my copy of this yesterday. Wonderful, book-style presentation with very well reproduced photographs from the period. The LP covers are reproduced in the book in full size which look great.
    The set doesn't acknowledge any remastering as far as I can see. But, Ralph Tee says in the preface that Sony provided "original master tapes" for the project. I've only played the first disk so far, and it sounds good to my ears.
    Finally, if you're in the UK, Soul Brother records or Burning Shed have this set substantially cheaper than Amazon.
    Get it before it's sold out! Only 2500 copies available.

Haven't received it yet but I did get a price drop and credit [[$28.71) on the set at the last minute. I ordered from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by wichmanne View Post
    Received my copy of this yesterday. Wonderful, book-style presentation with very well reproduced photographs from the period. The LP covers are reproduced in the book in full size which look great.
    The set doesn't acknowledge any remastering as far as I can see. But, Ralph Tee says in the preface that Sony provided "original master tapes" for the project. I've only played the first disk so far, and it sounds good to my ears.
    Finally, if you're in the UK, Soul Brother records or Burning Shed have this set substantially cheaper than Amazon.
    Get it before it's sold out! Only 2500 copies available.
    Soul Brother has a lower price but the shipping brings it right back up there with say Amazon.

Soul Brother:
    USA standard [[not tracked): £32.00
    USA Registered: £46.00

I hope they are remastered too. I always thought that the Save The Children Album needed to be a bit brighter or crisper.
    Last edited by mr_june; 05-30-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Received it last friday.
    In the book the next set is announced: it will include albums by The 3 Degrees, O'Jays 2x, Intruders, Billy Paul 2x , Harold Melvin & Blue Notes, Spritual Concept.
    My number is 2310 out of 2500.
    The book has an overview of all Philly albums ever released.

Mine is somewhere in the 800s. I went ahead and ordered because I’m positive it will sell out immediately. It also appears that it’ll only highlight PIR LPs, which I hope it’s not the case, since “Energy of Love” and “Dance Your Troubles Away” came out on TSOP.
    Last edited by jboy88; 06-13-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Mine is somewhere in the 800s. I went ahead and ordered because I’m positive it will sell out immediately. It also appears that it’ll only highlight PIR LPs, which I hope it’s not the case, since “Energy of Love” and “Dance Your Troubles Away” came out on TSOP.
    I hope it's not the case also. I'm number 803. I'm glad I got it after all. Jack, that overview is very welcomed and a great addition. I need to g through it again.

Philadelphia International Records: The 12" Mixes, Volume 1

https://www.amazon.com/Philadelphia-...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Tracklist:
    01. McFadden & Whitehead - Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now [[12" Version) [[10:33)
    02. Edwin Birdsong - Phiss-Phizz [[12" Version) [[08:32)
    03. Jerry Butler - [[I'm Just Thinking About) Cooling Out [[12" Version) [[07:00)
    04. The Philadelphia International All-Stars - Let's Clean Up the Ghetto [[12" Version) [[08:39)
    05. The Jones Girls - You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else [[12" Version) [[08:10)
    06. The Futures - Ain't No Time Fa Nuthin' [[12" Version) [[05:29)
    07. Jean Carn - Don't Let It Go to Your Head [[12" Version) [[04:50)
    08. Jocko - The Rocketship [[12" Version) [[07:29)
    09. Billy Paul - It's Critical [[12" Version) [[06:29)
    10. Edwin Birdsong - Freaky Deaky Sities [[12" Version) [[06:59)
    11. Jean Carn - Was That All It Was [[12" Version) [[06:28)
    12. The Futures - Party Time Man [[12" Version) [[05:11)
    13. Bobby Rush - I Wanna Do the Do [[12" Version) [[06:32)
    14. Edwin Birdsong - Goldmine [[12" Version) [[10:34)
    15. Frantique - Strut Your Funky Stuff [[UK 12" Version) [[05:43)
    16. Lou Rawls - Let Me Be Good to You [[12" Version) [[05:26)
    17. The O'Jays - Put Our Heads Together [[12" Version) [[07:01)
    18. The Force - Rock Your Baby [[12" Version) [[07:00)
    19. Edwin Birdsong - Lollipop [[12" Version) [[05:59)
    20. Teddy Pendergrass - Get Up, Get Down, Get Funky, Get Loose [[12" Version) [[07:09)
    21. Jocko - Rhythm Talk [[12" Version) [[07:15)

Various artists