[REMOVE ADS]

I'm Still Waiting - Laura Mvula

The singer is good but the backing track not to my taste. The backing track on Diana's version added that sadness of her waiting for the one that said that love one day will come. Also prefer to hear the combination of the drums, tambourine and bass throughout most of the song which I don't hear in this version. Not sure if I like it when artists cover a song a change the backing track too much. That's what I liked about Phil Collin's Going Back album. His singing didn't fit every song but the band/orchestra behind him was great. The drums, tambourines etc. In my lonely room for example sounds just like as if it was recorded all them years ago.

I find the arrangement and vocal very pedestrian and as with many of today's singers, just lacking excitement. Too much echo on the vocal which gets tedious after one verse. The background sounds like generic synthesizers.

What gives the Ross version its punch is Diane's heartfelt delivery and the understated, and yes, wistful instrumental track. Diane's delivery really shows what a good actress she is, which I think is what the song requires as it's so simple [[on the surface).

Honestly, I couldn't get to the end of this version. Just dull.
    Last edited by kenneth; 03-21-2021 at 10:55 AM.