[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops Second Album

I'm just listening to this outstanding album and the following thought occurred to me.....

Is there any track on the album that isn't up to the standard of being a single release?

HDH really produced the goods on this album!

You are so right about this album. HDH really captured the energy of the Tops at this time which was around the same time frame as their excellent work in capturing the sound of the Supremes with their "More Hits" album. Although both groups' music repertoire expanded into another sound as the years went on, this was perfect for its time. My favorite 'non-released' track is "Since You've Been Gone." That definitely had HIT spelled all over it [[IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Is there any track on the album that isn't up to the standard of being a single release?

HDH really produced the goods on this album!
    The Four Tops Second Album is my favorite LP by them during their first years at Motown. And I don't think there's any track on it that doesn't have the potential to be a hit single [[it did have three hits on there with "I Can't Help Myself", "It's The Same Old Song" & "Something About You" as well as one of The Tops' best B-Sides with "Since You've Been Gone"). Yes indeed; H-D-H & The Tops really produced the goods with this classic LP.

Number one is just as good

Both are quite original and have great songs, love them both. And of course the chock full of hits album- Reach Out.

One of my favourites is "Second Album" also there are a couple variations between mono and stereo - oh for an expanded edition. For me "On Top" would have been the best if it had Motown originals instead of those covers.

Completely agree! a true classic album!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    also there are a couple variations between mono and stereo - oh for an expanded edition.
    What are the differences please?

A big thumbs up for me for an expanded edition!

"Darling I Hum Our Song" is 20 seconds longer and vocal is different. "Helpless" is a different take. I`m assuming that the mono track for "Darling" is the same as the single mix.There will be more no doubt. Marvin Gaye`s "Moods Of" and Shorty`s "Judge" are full of differences.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    What are the differences please?

A big thumbs up for me for an expanded edition!
    I Second That! It would be Great if Motown/UMe did an expanded edition of Four Tops Second Album [[as well as 'deluxe editions' of all their early Motown albums).

I get so many requests on my radio shows for this lp:

Especially, of late "I'm Grateful" has become very popular.
    "Something About You" has overtaken the top request slot to all their hits I play - and "Since You've Been Gone" has always been a popular request.

Keep in mind I have a Philly/Jersey crowd - so these tunes were always played on the radio and at dj club gigs in the area.

Odd question, but can anyone help identify the intersection in the picture on the upper righthand corner of the back cover? I recognize the other three pictures as the McGregor Reflecting Pool on the Wayne State campus [I walk here often with my dogs], The Hullaballoo stage at the state fair [labeled], and then the picture of them jumping off the stairs is obviously at the DIA. The picture with the car is the one I'm curious about. I can read "Fourth" on one of the street signs, but can't read the cross street.

Anyway, this is definitely one of the most solid Motown albums. I think the only one that rivals it for me is the Isley Brothers "Soul On The Rocks".

Can we get some kind of crowd funding thing going and get albums like "Second Album" released as expanded editions in limited runs? How would one go about setting something like that in action? Maybe this is verboten but I'd even go so far as to bring "The German Guy" on board to do the art direction/packaging. Put his obvious talents to use in a finally legit way.

I'm 100% in support for an expended edition of this fantastic album. Love "I can't help myself" but have always preferred "It's the same old song". "Helpless" another gem on this album. I'd love to hear a duet of this song my Kim Weston and Levi.

Very interesting ideas WWLFAC and worth considering.How much money would be required to get the concept of crowd funding off the ground.There are many of us that could provide the liner notes and of course we have great annotations from Keith Hughes and DFTMC. The stereo master tapes are available but the mono ones would have to digitally remastered and all the songs are Motown so the only other areas would be licensing and royalty considerations. The less costly option would be a digital download. "The German Guy" being involved would be great but highly unlikely.
    Anyway food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Very interesting ideas WWLFAC and worth considering.How much money would be required to get the concept of crowd funding off the ground.There are many of us that could provide the liner notes and of course we have great annotations from Keith Hughes and DFTMC. The stereo master tapes are available but the mono ones would have to digitally remastered and all the songs are Motown so the only other areas would be licensing and royalty considerations. The less costly option would be a digital download. "The German Guy" being involved would be great but highly unlikely.
    Anyway food for thought.
    Maybe Paul Nixon could tell us if the idea is feasible or not. Certainly, we fans would get more of the albums we'd like and Universal wouldn't be on the hook for production of titles with a potentially limited market.

Question on "Second Album." Does anyone know if this was released as one collection on a CD? I possess the 2 albums on one CD consisting of one disc that includes the Four Tops b/w Second Album.

I would like to obtain a CD with just the Second Album on it. Thanks.

Bill, I believe that it was released back in the 80`s as a ADD version. I have a recent Japanese version which is far superior quality. If you have trouble locating one I`ll send you this one as it`s surplus to my needs.