[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Patti was a big Supremes/Motown fan. Which is why it hurt her that Motown basically took Cindy away from the group [[or that Cindy did this without telling the other girls; Patti has said if Cindy had told her that she was going, she admitted she would've been upset but she wouldn't have stopped her). But yeah I remember her giving them props, which was great. She was always a fan of Diana's music, which is why when she was asked to perform in a tribute for her [[I forget the song, may have been Endless Love with Gerald), she didn't hesitate to do so.
    At the 1995 Soul Train Awards when Diana received the Heritage Award, Patti performed a medley of AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH/SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER/IT'S MY TURN, the latter bringing Diana to tears.

Later in the show, Patti teamed up with Tanya Blount, Eddie Levert, and Gerald Levert to do ENDLESS LOVE.

Patti also performed at a WE ARE FAMILY tribute that Nile Rodgers had for Diana while she was having her problems. She didn't attend but spoke via phone.

Now I don't know about all of that lol
    LMAO! Agreed. There will not likely be a reappraisal of WO.

Yeah, Patti always wanted to go back to the ballads and I guess the years of being outvoted got to her. Patti jumped at the chance to do "Isn't It a Shame" on the Chameleon album even though her "soul sisters" weren't too excited about it. On the other hand, Patti grimaced at having to do songs like "You Turned Me On" and "Going Down Makes Me Shiver" because of the sexual connotations to them. Labelle was ahead of their time due to Nona Hendryx. No other girl group showed as much edge as them. I think it took YEARS for Patti to recognize that but back in those days, she hated it.
    Agree. Nona lost out too. Patti set those songs ABLAZE! I think knowing what Patti [[and Sarah) could do vocally -- and what all three could do together -- inspired Nona to truly soar in her writing.

Nona's solo output is not as searing or revelatory as what she wrote for Labelle. Her own vocal profile was more modest than Labelle's and I think her writing was downsized commensurately.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    At the 1995 Soul Train Awards when Diana received the Heritage Award, Patti performed a medley of AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH/SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER/IT'S MY TURN, the latter bringing Diana to tears.

Later in the show, Patti teamed up with Tanya Blount, Eddie Levert, and Gerald Levert to do ENDLESS LOVE.

Patti also performed at a WE ARE FAMILY tribute that Nile Rodgers had for Diana while she was having her problems. She didn't attend but spoke via phone.
    She sure did! I almost forgot about all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Agree. Nona lost out too. Patti set those songs ABLAZE! I think knowing what Patti [[and Sarah) could do vocally -- and what all three could do together -- inspired Nona to truly soar in her writing.

Nona's solo output is not as searing or revelatory as what she wrote for Labelle. Her own vocal profile was more modest than Labelle's and I think her writing was downsized commensurately.
    Nona solo doesn't hit me as Nona in Labelle...