[REMOVE ADS]

Very sorry. Still so sad.

I'm so very sorry, but I'm still so sad that she's passed. She was such a force. So wonderful. So kind. Her passing has made me think we've reached one of those turning points. I keep watching tributes and love and laughter about her, but I just keep thinking the Supremes are now history. She was such a force for keeping their memory alive. I admire Jean and Cindy and dearly love Sherrie and Susaye and, of course, Diana is the queen, but something in the universe feels deflated with Mary's passing. I can't even imagine the sense of loss for the children of this great mother.
    Last edited by thanxal; 02-27-2021 at 11:45 PM.

Don't be sorry many are deeply feeling your loss as well she was a remarkable lady sending all my love to you in this difficult time x

I feel the same way thanxal. I still have to remind myself she's gone if I watch a video of her or the Supremes. Like you said it feels like The Supremes are officially done. Mary had such a strong presence and was always putting herself out there, it's strange that we won't be seeing her anymore. I only wish Diana would continue to carry the Supremes torch but I know that will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I feel the same way thanxal. I still have to remind myself she's gone if I watch a video of her or the Supremes. Like you said it feels like The Supremes are officially done. Mary had such a strong presence and was always putting herself out there, it's strange that we won't be seeing her anymore. I only wish Diana would continue to carry the Supremes torch but I know that will never happen.
    Diana is not in the remotest bit interested in carrying the Supremes torch and hasn't been since 1970. She left that to Mary, and i think that was only right. Mary needed the Supremes legacy more than Diana, and she obviously cherished it more. We all have our memories to hold on to. They can never be taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Diana is not in the remotest bit interested in carrying the Supremes torch and hasn't been since 1970. She left that to Mary, and i think that was only right. Mary needed the Supremes legacy more than Diana, and she obviously cherished it more. We all have our memories to hold on to. They can never be taken away.
    Yes that struck me in the video where Andy and George were talking about that. I actually used to think it was a bit harsh for her to so rarely “carry the torch” but now I am beginning to see it as generous of her to let Mary be the standard bearer for the legacy of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I'm so very sorry, but I'm still so sad that she's passed. She was such a force. So wonderful. So kind. Her passing has made me think we've reached one of those turning points. I keep watching tributes and love and laughter about her, but I just keep thinking the Supremes are now history. She was such a force for keeping their memory alive. I admire Jean and Cindy and dearly love Sherrie and Susaye and, of course, Diana is the queen, but something in the universe feels deflated with Mary's passing. I can't even imagine the sense of loss for the children of this great mother.
    It was so sudden and unexpected is why it feels unreal still. Mary was the keeper of the flame for the Supremes. Diana knew if she attended any of these functions it would draw attention from Mary. The fans wanted Supremes and they got it with Mary Wilson. Scherrie and Susaye will at some point continue to tour as Former ladies of the Supremes and they will be great but the with Mary and Flo gone it leaves a void.

I know how you feel Al. As a lover of singing groups, the original Supremes top my overpopulated list of favorite singing groups of all time. Mary had this way of keeping them alive, despite Flo's passing and Diana's...sometimes unenthusiastic attention to anything Supremes related. With her gone, it feels like the group has died. I'd love for Diana to suddenly decide that, as the last remaining original member, that it is up to her to keep the Supremes' in the public's mind, as well as making sure people don't forget about Florence. I'm normally never one for saying "never", and I'm not gonna start here either. However, keeping it real, Diana picking up the torch is in all likelihood a fat chance. I love that the FLOS, Scherrie in particular, intend on keeping the Supremes alive, but it's not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    ........... I'd love for Diana to suddenly decide that, as the last remaining original member, that it is up to her to keep the Supremes' in the public's mind.... I love that the FLOS, Scherrie in particular, intend on keeping the Supremes alive, but it's not the same.
    Diana does few interviews, does not do podcasts, and has no access to the gowns of the Supremes. Like Mary, Sherrie and Susaye, she keeps the songs and spirit of the group alive by including many of the songs in her solo concerts.

I don't think anyone could reach the level of enthusiasm that Mary had to keep the legacy of The Supremes alive, including Diana. Perhaps Diana will step up a little more now that Mary is gone. As mentioned above, Diana probably did not participate in functions honoring the group so as not to take away the spotlight from Mary.

While Mary was keeping the Supreme Legacy Alive, the legacy was also getting Mary publicity, bookings, tv, radio, and podcast interviews and keeping her name in the spotlight.

Diana seems to be more private and does not seek publicity

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Diana does few interviews, does not do podcasts, and has no access to the gowns of the Supremes. Like Mary, Sherrie and Susaye, she keeps the songs and spirit of the group alive by including many of the songs in her solo concerts.

I don't think anyone could reach the level of enthusiasm that Mary had to keep the legacy of The Supremes alive, including Diana. Perhaps Diana will step up a little more now that Mary is gone. As mentioned above, Diana probably did not participate in functions honoring the group so as not to take away the spotlight from Mary.

While Mary was keeping the Supreme Legacy Alive, the legacy was also getting Mary publicity, bookings, tv, radio, and podcast interviews and keeping her name in the spotlight.

Great response! I think you are correct on all counts.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I’m still very sad . My Facebook memories threw up a memory today of a meeting with her ten years ago . Without her there is no supremes ...
    I’m not interested in the FLOS much as I love Scherrie.

any news on her albums reissued ?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Which brings me back to the point I was making in my post, that my hope is Diana will decide on a new way of being where the Supremes are concerned. She can't be Mary Wilson. There was only one, and Mary had the experience of being a Supreme for the entire existence of the group. I don't think anyone could hope for Diana to treat the Supremes in quite the same way as Mary did. However, as far as I'm concerned, the Supremes now belongs to Diana Ross. Sure, any given lady who worked as a legit Supreme [[Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye) are entitled to reap some benefits, and is a keeper of the flame of sorts because of her connection. But only three women have ownership rights to the Supremes: Flo and Mary, now deceased, and Diana. This is Diana's group, Diana's legacy, and I'd like to see her do more with it in the coming years, particularly her recollections. While I pray that Diana is around for many more years to come, the truth is that she won't be around forever. What she knows, what she remembers about the Supremes is invaluable information and I'd love for her to start tapping into it. As a student of history and lover of history, it's so sad when first person recollections of time pass away with the last breath. We've gotten tons of info from Mary over the years, but of course there was more to tell and some of it died with Mary. I don't want to see that happen with Diana. And again, as was pointed out in the podcast that George and Andy participated in, Mary also kept Flo's memory alive. She did a lot to make sure Florence was not a forgotten member of the group. As the only other living person to sing as a Supreme alongside the great Flo Ballard, and to be present for many of Flo's accomplishments, it would be great if Diana picked that torch up as well. Whether she does any of this, some of this, or none of this, has no bearing on my desire to have it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Which brings me back to the point I was making in my post, that my hope is Diana will decide on a new way of being where the Supremes are concerned. She can't be Mary Wilson. There was only one, and Mary had the experience of being a Supreme for the entire existence of the group. I don't think anyone could hope for Diana to treat the Supremes in quite the same way as Mary did. However, as far as I'm concerned, the Supremes now belongs to Diana Ross. Sure, any given lady who worked as a legit Supreme [[Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye) are entitled to reap some benefits, and is a keeper of the flame of sorts because of her connection. But only three women have ownership rights to the Supremes: Flo and Mary, now deceased, and Diana. This is Diana's group, Diana's legacy, and I'd like to see her do more with it in the coming years, particularly her recollections. While I pray that Diana is around for many more years to come, the truth is that she won't be around forever. What she knows, what she remembers about the Supremes is invaluable information and I'd love for her to start tapping into it. As a student of history and lover of history, it's so sad when first person recollections of time pass away with the last breath. We've gotten tons of info from Mary over the years, but of course there was more to tell and some of it died with Mary. I don't want to see that happen with Diana. And again, as was pointed out in the podcast that George and Andy participated in, Mary also kept Flo's memory alive. She did a lot to make sure Florence was not a forgotten member of the group. As the only other living person to sing as a Supreme alongside the great Flo Ballard, and to be present for many of Flo's accomplishments, it would be great if Diana picked that torch up as well. Whether she does any of this, some of this, or none of this, has no bearing on my desire to have it happen.
    I feel the same way you do but I don't think Diana will do any of those things. While I don't think she is dismissive of keeping the memory of Flo alive, I think she's very careful when bringing her up. She faced a lot of backlash with her leaving the group and then her funeral fiasco so it seems like Diana treads carefully around discussing Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I feel the same way you do but I don't think Diana will do any of those things. While I don't think she is dismissive of keeping the memory of Flo alive, I think she's very careful when bringing her up. She faced a lot of backlash with her leaving the group and then her funeral fiasco so it seems like Diana treads carefully around discussing Flo.
    I definitely agree with this. However, one might make the argument that she makes things more tense by tiptoeing around the Florence subject. It leaves room for people to continue to speculate [[and outright lie) about anything connected to the two. But you do make a great point. I wonder if sometimes Diana feels like she really wants to say something positive, either about Flo or Mary or the group in general, but fear the can of worms it could open because there's the ever present guard who looks for any reason to tear Diana Ross down.

Fingers still crossed for that second autobiography.