[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1

    Stevie Wonder Says He's Moving to Ghana

    Stevie Wonder is planning out his future. The music legend recently revealed to Oprah Winfrey that he is set on heading out to West Africa to spend his remaining years.
    "I wanna see this nation smile again, and I want to see it before I leave to travel to move to Ghana," Wonder, 67, told Winfrey in a recent interview. "Because I'm going to do that."
    According to the celebrated musician, he plans to move in an effort to protect his grandchildren from the racial injustice and prejudice that he feels is pervasive in American society.
    "I don't want to see my children's children's children have to say, 'Oh, please like me. Please respect me. Please know that I am important. Please value me,'" Wonder shared. "What kind of [life would that be]?"
    Wonder -- who has won 25 GRAMMY awards and has been nominated 74 times -- has reportedly been considering a move to Ghana for more than 25 years.

    Back in 1994, Wonder said at a gathering for the International Association of African American Music that he wanted to relocate to the West African country because he felt there's "more of a sense of community there," according to CNN.

  2. #2
    Hope none of his children or grandchildren are gay.

  3. #3
    There is also terrible regionalism in Ghana. Northerners, especially Muslims, often feel the south gets all the attention and the dominant elite are from there. I think the moral of the story is that fleeing injustice in one country doesn't make it go away. You just exchange one type of injustice for another. Anyone know of a "perfectly" just, equitable and placid country? I don't.

  4. #4
    Intensely creative people like Stevie are very intelligent, but their reasoning sometimes deviates from the norm. I would agree that moving to Ghana would likely not be a step-up for him and his family, in terms of enjoying more freedoms and overall quality of life. To be honest, I'll be surprised if he keeps his word and actually makes the move.

  5. #5
    Stevie is 70, not 67.

  6. #6
    I suspect it's more about taxes than "injustice"... But if he does go, can he take Rosie O'Donnell with him???...

  7. #7
    All talk, 25 years of hollow threats. Must not be as bad as he lets on. Who in their right mind lives out their life where they're so unhappy? Especially if you live at a level where your money can easily take you wherever your heart desires. For crying out loud, move!! I'm sure its great there , go be happy - & for the sake of the hundreds of the grand grand grand kids [[ are they going to go too? dragging and screaming likely!)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-27-2021 at 03:56 AM.

  8. #8
    Please do take Rosie, and also any other fruits, nuts and flakes that hate our country.

  9. #9
    Name:  BC372A8D-68CF-4672-B880-75CA8D59C710.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  19.2 KB
    __________

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmick66 View Post
    Please do take Rosie, and also any other fruits, nuts and flakes that hate our country.
    Like the hate filled Donald “Pussy Grabbet” Trump and the disgusting mob of thugs he encouraged to storm our Capital on January 6 and mame and murder people.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Like the hate filled Donald “Pussy Grabbet” Trump and the disgusting mob of thugs he encouraged to storm our Capital on January 6 and mame and murder people.
    Preach, Miss Roberta. It’s the homophobia for me. Which I’ve reported.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Name:  BC372A8D-68CF-4672-B880-75CA8D59C710.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  19.2 KB
    __________
    These people who get offended by a peaceful protest such as kneeling need to check themselves. Most of them followed and worship a POS racist traitor for the past 4 years and believed all of his BS and lies.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    These people who get offended by a peaceful protest such as kneeling need to check themselves. Most of them followed and worship a POS racist traitor for the past 4 years and believed all of his BS and lies.
    And the same goes for those who never have a kind word for Stevie. These same MAGAt asshat LOSERS have the temerity to label him “bitter” just because he’s pro-Black and anti-racist. And what the fuck is it to them if he wants to move?!?? They need to go chase their stupid selves.
    Last edited by sansradio; 03-03-2021 at 03:45 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmick66 View Post
    Please do take Rosie, and also any other fruits, nuts and flakes that hate our country.
    The violent extremist terrorists who stormed the Capitol on January 6th hate this country more than anyone else. Last I checked Rosie wasn't spraying cops with bug spray, beating them, crushing them in doors, and stealing, looting, and damaging the building. I wouldn't wish them on any other country, except Guantanamo in Cuba perhaps.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmick66 View Post
    Please do take Rosie, and also any other fruits, nuts and flakes that hate our country.
    It's diversity that makes America great. Throwing unnecessary insults at minorities does not. If you can't be kind during a pandemic, when can you be?

  16. #16
    Speaking of homophobia and Stevie's idea of moving to Ghana, it seems there have been some recent protests in the country against the LGBTQ community and a very clear reminder was recently communicated by their government, stating that being LGBTQ is still illegal in Ghana. Quite odd and sad that Stevie Wonder would want to live in such a country. More details can be read here:

    https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...support-centre

    On that note, I have also reported the offensive post above.

  17. #17
    Your substantive input on the topic is appreciated Carlo.

    This irrelevant name calling , bringing up Trump , bumper stickering, and especially the foul language only dilutes the conversation. I hope you reported the worst of those offenses too. Part of what makes America great , for those who aren't sure , is this exchanging of ideas on such topics on a public forum like this, preferably without being shouted down by histrionics.
    Stevie Wonder didn't say anything about moving to Ghana over any gay specific concerns so maybe he could care less about that. Not going to put words in his mouth. Maybe some 'news' outlet could do a follow -up interview with him so he could elaborate on what he hopes to accomplish.

    From the excerpts originally posted it sounds like his intentions are specifically racially motivated, so maybe Ghana is some sort of shangrila in that sense, Stevie seems to think so, surely in the decades he's been dreaming about it , he's adequately researched it.

  18. #18
    With due respect to all, can someone explain to me why expressing criticism towards someone who happens to be gay makes one "homophobic", or criticizing someone who happens to belong to ANY "identity group" makes one a bigot???... Does calling Jeffrey Epstein a "monster" make someone an "anti-Semite"???... Does being critical of Kwame Kilpatrick make someone a "racist"???...

    As for Rosie, and the only reason I initially mentioned her in the context of this discussion has NOTHING to do with who she sleeps with or what arouses her libido, and her personal sexuality should make her neither a target of scorn, nor does it give her cover from it, just like anyone else... Her relationship to this topic is the fact that on several occasions she not only threatened, but PROMISED to leave America if the Presidential candidate of her choice lost the election, got loads of publicity, and she was full of s*** each and every time [[and yes, she wasn't the only one)...She went for the media attention and notoriety to enhance her career and little more, then failed to do what she said she would in order to remain here to rake in more American dollars. Rosie is widely known throughout the industry as the "queen of mean", is a horrible parent by all accounts, tried to drive Barbara Walters to a nervous breakdown over The View that Rosie tried to take over, is hated by Whoopie Goldberg and virtually every other co-host like Elizabeth Hasselbeck, and many of her fellow actors she's ever worked with... She set up and did a "gotcha" with Tom Sellick in a TV interview and for some reason, flipped out of the Fight Club film and tried to ruin it for those who had yet to see it...Rosie allegedly told a cancer survivor that worked for her magazine that "you know what happens to people who lie...they get sick and get cancer" and if they keep lying, they get it again"... Called Kelly Ripa "homophobic" for an innocent remark she made about Clay Akin. Rosie went around spouting baseless 9/11 conspiracy theories. She went after the participants of the show Teen Mom after supporting the show, the accusing these girls of getting pregnant so they could get on TV. Went after the TV show Glee and charged them of not hiring a "fat actor"...She is typical of those who cover their ears and then shout their opinion at the top of their lungs, NONE of which having ANYTHING to do with her sexuality and in my [[and many other peoples opinions) is a horrible person...You can be gay, straight, or a combination of both and STILL be an a-hole of which Rosie is a poster person...

    As for Stevie... I'll believe it when I see it and of course Stevie has the right to live anywhere he chooses [[although the timing is curious), and I hope that unlike Rosie who made those same types of pronouncements [[phony and strictly for publicity in her case), Stevie follows through on his word after going public with it, or explains why he changes his mind if he does, and in the event he is serious about his motivations we should all wish him well, although it's likely that the Ghanian tax rate that tops out at 30% could be an incentive as well, or whatever personal motivation he espouses ... I have done business with his ex wife and two of his children and I can pretty well assure you that NEITHER of the two young men I got to know and did business with are going to Ghana, unless they have lots of Range Rovers, chicks, and parties going on over there LOL...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 03-03-2021 at 02:42 PM.

  19. #19
    Great post ABOUT THE TOPIC Stubass1
    Wow , l had only a vague notion of how horrible Rosie could be.
    Conserning your original post, I understood it to be another example of someone who has benefited so much by living in the USA and is yet so discontented and ungrateful and threatens to leave [[but never does).

  20. #20
    Stubass, the offense isn’t about Rosie per se, but about the epithet “fruits,” which is homophobia, full stop...and which you personally didn’t do.
    Last edited by sansradio; 03-03-2021 at 03:06 PM.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Great post ABOUT THE TOPIC Stubass1
    Wow , l had only a vague notion of how horrible Rosie could be.
    Conserning your original post, I understood it to be another example of someone who has benefited so much by living in the USA and is yet so discontented and ungrateful and threatens to leave [[but never does).
    Exactly Boogiedown... While it's true that LGBT rights in Ghana, like much of Africa is not as "enlightened" as to where most Western Countries have evolved, and is indeed a serious topic for a different discussion, my reference to O'Donnell was strictly based on her hypocrisy regarding her "threats" to leave the country if things did not turn out the way she wanted them to in more than one Presidential election... Canada is likely all the better off that she reneged on her "threat", despite the fact that due to Canada's stringent immigrations laws, they may have stopped her at the border...I believe her to be a person of low character and that has nothing to do with her sexuality... I don't judge people on their race, gender, ethnicity, or sexual preference...ONLY their behavior...

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Stubass, the offense isn’t about Rosie per se, but about the epithet “fruits,” which is homophobia, full stop.
    I understand your concern Sans, and while the comments and choice of words you allude to may well be inappropriate based on the intention and motivation of the poster that I will neither defend or attack based on my personal knowledge of this poster [[I will personally admit to referring to people once or twice as nutty as "fruitcakes" in the past with NO sexual connotation intended), however, deflecting an entire conversation over one possibly ill advised word only plays into such concerns and has distracted from the topic at hand, especially when then tied as a defense of O'Donnell's indefensible [[IMO) behavior over the years in this regard as relates to this topic...just as other posters have made comments on this thread having NOTHING to do with the topic at hand ... The topic is about high profile people such as Steve Wonder, for one reason or another, who has apparently decided, or at least made a public pronouncement, that they have made a decision to leave our country [[although I personally doubt that the freedoms and benefits we ALL enjoy here can be equaled anywhere else in the world), but as someone else recently said..."people do what they do"...When it's a sincere motivation, I highly respect that...When it's a media stunt [[that several unserious high profile people spout for PR value), I will call it out...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 03-03-2021 at 03:34 PM.

  23. #23
    Report, report, report, if it makes you feel better. It doesn't change the fact that Rosie is a disgusting pig regardless of her sexual orientation. Now y'all will write that I'm fat shaming, but she would still be gross and disgusting if she weighed 98 lbs. And as I recall, almost all Motown music was about joy, love, loss and longing between a man and a woman. [[Of course you do have Valentino's "I Was Born This Way" if you're into that sort of thing). So you can report me for that, too.

  24. #24

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Rmick66 View Post
    Report, report, report, if it makes you feel better. It doesn't change the fact that Rosie is a disgusting pig regardless of her sexual orientation. Now y'all will write that I'm fat shaming, but she would still be gross and disgusting if she weighed 98 lbs. And as I recall, almost all Motown music was about joy, love, loss and longing between a man and a woman. [[Of course you do have Valentino's "I Was Born This Way" if you're into that sort of thing). So you can report me for that, too.
    Didnt Donald "The Pussy Grabbing insurrectionist" Trump say those exact swords about Rosie. Love songs are just that, love songs, and love is love regardless of sexual orientation. I have no time for homophobia and no time for posters like you.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Didnt Donald "The Pussy Grabbing insurrectionist" Trump say those exact swords about Rosie. Love songs are just that, love songs, and love is love regardless of sexual orientation. I have no time for homophobia and no time for posters like you.
    Well said, Roberta. Love is love. Motown was also about freedom and equality for all, which is unfortunately something this person has no idea about. How sad. I also won't bother wasting any additional time on this troll, who has a mere three trolling posts to their name.
    Last edited by carlo; 03-03-2021 at 11:48 PM.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Well said, Roberta. Love is love. Motown was also about freedom and equality for all, which is unfortunately something this person has no idea about. How sad. I also won't bother wasting any additional time on this troll, who has a mere three trolling posts to their name.
    Exactly Carlo. It doesn;'t matter who you love it only matters that you love. I smell a Trump loving far right bigot in Miss or Mr 3 posts.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Exactly Carlo. It doesn;'t matter who you love it only matters that you love. I smell a Trump loving far right bigot in Miss or Mr 3 posts.
    And you ain't the only one, Ms. Roberta. I'm sorry life has not worked out better for that poster.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Stubass, the offense isn’t about Rosie per se, but about the epithet “fruits,” which is homophobia, full stop...and which you personally didn’t do.
    I agree with this view. Rmick66 has crossed a line.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    And you ain't the only one, Ms. Roberta. I'm sorry life has not worked out better for that poster.
    Life rarely works out for the bigots or the homophobes or those who use racial or anti gay slurs. Its a sign of ignorance and sorry to say a lot of them are usually Trump supporters.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Speaking of homophobia and Stevie's idea of moving to Ghana, it seems there have been some recent protests in the country against the LGBTQ community and a very clear reminder was recently communicated by their government, stating that being LGBTQ is still illegal in Ghana. Quite odd and sad that Stevie Wonder would want to live in such a country. More details can be read here:

    https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...support-centre

    On that note, I have also reported the offensive post above.
    The more I think about it, I'm reminded of the little controversy Stevie got back years ago when he claimed Frank Ocean, an openly bisexual man, was "confused"... Stevie of course had to take back that comment so that reminded me of his choice to move to Ghana. I don't get it though. Why Ghana? He's said this like three times in the past.

    He was gonna move in 1975, then in the '90s, right before Conversation Peace, he talked about moving there, and then again, prior to A Time 2 Love coming out [[if I'm not mistaken). I actually don't think he's moving but if he was to move anywhere, why not South Africa?

  31. #31
    The only thing I can think of is that each time Stevie says he’ll move to Ghana, he releases a long awaited album shorty after.
    So if that’s the case once again, so be it!

    Stevie’s big announcements about what he’ll do, more than often don’t go anywhere.

    Thankfully he’s much more reliable and successful when it comes to support an humanitarian cause.

    As for Ghana, like Stevie said, don’t wonder why... 😁

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    There is also terrible regionalism in Ghana. Northerners, especially Muslims, often feel the south gets all the attention and the dominant elite are from there. I think the moral of the story is that fleeing injustice in one country doesn't make it go away. You just exchange one type of injustice for another. Anyone know of a "perfectly" just, equitable and placid country? I don't.
    I gotta agree with this. You have to stay and fight, not flee. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Stevie is speaking from what he experienced as an entertainer. I think he will gain a different opinion once he lives there...if he actually goes through with it.

  33. #33
    For Americans, on a first trip to Africa, Ghana would be the safest, developed country to
    go to and there are already 3000 Black Americans already living in the capital. However,
    you will be only moving from a race-based society to a tribal-based society. You will be
    considered an American or even a white person even if you are black, you will still be an
    outsider. Africans are very opinionated and conservative in their social views. It is a very
    different culture, eventhough the people are very warm and friendly. On top of that, Stevie being handicapped living in a totally different culture in a developing country.

  34. #34
    I'm surprised SW hasn't just purchased a second or vacation home in Ghana already.

  35. #35
    Stevie would think twice about that move if he knew that...greasy grady is planning on opening a chain of[eateries???]in ghana!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.