[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

why didn't Diana And Marvin chart better

the thread and discussion on Why TMH didn't chart better in the US has been a fun one!

let's dig into another album that didn't really meet the hoped expectations.

The D&M duets should have been a huge hit. both had recently hit #1 with their own songs so they were both hot. but the lead single [[which was the highest US charting song) only got to 12. the other singles didn't do a whole lot

the album only got to US 26

All I can say is this. When I was a kid, I use to look through friends parents record/album collections. Many of them had this album. So I was surprised to read on this forum that the album under performed because many seemed to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    All I can say is this. When I was a kid, I use to look through friends parents record/album collections. Many of them had this album. So I was surprised to read on this forum that the album under performed because many seemed to have it.
    I believe the wrong choice was made for that all-important first single. I’m not old enough to know of public opinion at the time, but You’re A Special Part Of Me just doesn’t sound like an exciting preview of the duet project OR a hit single. I’ve been told the #12 chart showing of YASPOM was most likely the result of project anticipation, as the single quickly fell from the charts...

The song "My Mistake" is a lovely song. I just wish it had a better title.

DIANA AND MARVIN was one of the first albums I ever bought, for $5 at Sears and Roebuck. I remember my aunt borrowing it from me not long after and keeping it for the longest time. Eventually she bought me a DIANA AND MARVIN t-shirt to make up for it. The album itself is still one of my favorites.

Re the album itself, a #26 chart position [[in the US) isn't too bad. In an interview, one of its writers [[Marilyn McCleod) mentioned that it went gold so it did sell. I would suspect that it wasn't a blockbuster in the US because:

a) YOU'RE A SPECIAL PART OF ME was a bad choice for a first single. I would have gone with MY MISTAKE, which is probably more remembered today.

b) Both Diana and Marvin were having successful solo albums with TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING and LET'S GET IT ON respectively. Maybe Motown should have let those albums have a bit of a longer life before rushing out a duet album.

c) Even though the Diana/Marvin duets are good, IMO, Marvin and Tammi were really the definitive Motown duettists. I think any duets Marvin did pale next to those.

Diana & Marvin was a successful album in the UK. Fortunately, Motown UK chose one of the best songs on the album, You Are Everything, as the follow-up single to the failed You're A Special Part Of Me.

Several friends bought the album at the time and despite all of the much reported studio issues, I still regard it as an excellent album with some wonderful songs.

In a nutshell PRODUCT OVERLOAD. Diana & Marvin was released four months after the ‘Touch Me In The Morning’ album. An album that certainly contained more then one hit single as proven in the UK with “All Of My Life”.
    ”Your A Special Part Of Me” was an odd choice for lead single. I always thought it a bit overblown. I wonder if the fact it was a BG production that had anything to do with the decision?.
    ”You Are Everything” was to my ears the most obviously commercial song from the album. It was of course a huge hit in the UK and could have done the same in America.
    An album featuring two of the then biggest stars in the music world should have gone at least top ten. Had it been released in Dec 73 instead of LTISH or perhaps later in 74 it might well have done.

As per the Wiki, Diana & Marvin reached #6 in the UK - that is notable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_%26_Marvin

Diana & Marvin is a great album. "You Are Everything" is the obvious single, but the original had been a big hit in the US in 1971, which might have been a reason not to release it as single. As has been discussed on the board before, if I remember correctly, the album was initially intended to include more Ashford & Simpson productions; that could have made the album stronger, as the quality of the songs is uneven, and the sole A&S song on the original album, "Just Say, Just Say," is one of the album's best, IMHO. I also love the A&S bonus track "I've Come to Love You So Much" -- although it seems unfinished [[particularly Marvin's vocals).

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the thread and discussion on Why TMH didn't chart better in the US has been a fun one!

let's dig into another album that didn't really meet the hoped expectations.

The D&M duets should have been a huge hit. both had recently hit #1 with their own songs so they were both hot. but the lead single [[which was the highest US charting song) only got to 12. the other singles didn't do a whole lot

the album only got to US 26
    I was and remain slightly underwhelmed by this album. Two of my all time favourite vocalists collaborating should have been musical paradise for me, and whilst there are a few gems to enjoy there are also too many fillers for my liking.
    It's moderate USA success is in direct contrast to it's UK success where it remained on the chart for over a year if i recall correctly.
    The UK got it right with the choice of singles. The USA most certainly did not, and i think that is one of the major reasons why it was not bigger in the States. The fact that it was far from being a great album is another possible reason.
    Sup Fan is quite correct when he says the timing of it's release was all wrong. It should have been delayed for 6-9 months to allow their respective solo albums more time to sell.
    Despite my misgivings i would love Universal to sanction a definitive expanded edition to include the solo versions of the songs. We can only dream......

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I was and remain slightly underwhelmed by this album. Two of my all time favourite vocalists collaborating should have been musical paradise for me, and whilst there are a few gems to enjoy there are also too many fillers for my liking.
    I share the same opinion as you on this album. For me, there are a few songs on this album that stand above the rest, and the rest seem to be sort of average, filler type of material. This album has never particularly excited me, which is too bad, because as you said, the pairing of Diana and Marvin should have been far more magnificent and exciting. It doesn't have the Marvin and Tammi magic.

Personally I wasn’t fond of the covers especially You Are Everything. Most of that is because it was such a big hit and the Production was phenomenal that any remakes were pale by comparison.

The U.K. single releases reflect the relative lack of U.K. success of some of the earlier Stylistics US hits such as “You Are Everything”. This and “ Stop, Look, Listen” were great songs that deserved success, irrespective of the artist who sang them. So when the originals failed, and when Diana and Marvin recorded them as Marvin and Diana singing contemporary tunes, the die was cast.

A few years earlier, we did something similar with “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You”. Frankie Valli didn’t get a hit with it in the U.K., but Andy Williams did after he recorded it, probably just as Andy singing a contemporary tune. His version is on all sorts of compilations and still gets lots of airplay in the U.K. Frankie’s version is rarely heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    The U.K. single releases reflect the relative lack of U.K. success of some of the earlier Stylistics US hits such as “You Are Everything”. This and “ Stop, Look, Listen” were great songs that deserved success, irrespective of the artist who sang them. So when the originals failed, and when Diana and Marvin recorded them as Marvin and Diana singing contemporary tunes, the die was cast.

A few years earlier, we did something similar with “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You”. Frankie Valli didn’t get a hit with it in the U.K., but Andy Williams did after he recorded it, probably just as Andy singing a contemporary tune. His version is on all sorts of compilations and still gets lots of airplay in the U.K. Frankie’s version is rarely heard.
    Yes you are quite correct. Had the Stylistics versions hit big in the UK it is highly unlikely the D&M versions would have been hits, but even so they were the pick of the covers on the album which continues to underwhelm me almost 50 years later.
    I do think this was a hastily put together project that did not do either performer justice. Ms Ross certainly did not recall it with great affection, but of course there were several reasons for that.

Yes you are quite correct. Had the Stylistics versions hit big in the UK it is highly unlikely the D&M versions would have been hits, but even so they were the pick of the covers on the album which continues to underwhelm me almost 50 years later.
    I do think this was a hastily put together project that did not do either performer justice. Ms Ross certainly did not recall it with great affection, but of course there were several reasons for that.
    Yeah. Lost amongst the weed[[s).

If I understand history correctly, it was recorded a long time prior to release, and possibly preceded both Lady Sings The Blues and Let’s Get It On, in which case it catches Marvin very much not at his best, and catches Diana before she hit her purple patch with LSTB and Touch Me In The Morning, wherein she had really developed her lower register into a wonderful thing, and refined her whole singing style.

I suspect , judging from the the lack of their blockbuster success, especially considering the novelty of pairing such well-established independent stars onto one recording [[ had this ever been done , off hand I can only think of Frank Sinatra and his daughter Nancy's SOMETHING STUPID ) , that I am not alone in thinking their voices didn't sound all that great together. Competing alley cats to be blunt. I know at the time when their duets came on the AM radio in my Greenbrier van ,when I heard that squawking I changed the station.

So it sort of made sense to me when I learned years later, perhaps on these informative forums that the two didn't even record together. That helps explain the disconnect of their dueting, , perhaps the missing ingredient that happens when people sing together off of each other, instead of being doubled on top of each other at a later date.

I would say DON'T KNOCK MY LOVE comes across rather nicely, it apparently is the only song they actually shared studio time together on [[ and a song choice Diana questioned).
    I would say part of what makes it work is that they aren't singing on top of each other , they take turns with the lead ....Diana doesn't even show up on the record for the first 45 seconds lol!
    It's believable , imo , that they're having a good time here, certainly giving it their best shot:

I do agree with Diana's bewilderment of treating the song as a duet , it's hardly a love song or an exchange of endearing sentiments between two people....

Also I think the album cover about says it all, as they face each other , back to back ....lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I suspect , judging from the the lack of their blockbuster success, especially considering the novelty of pairing such well-established independent stars onto one recording [[ had this ever been done , off hand I can only think of Frank Sinatra and his daughter Nancy's SOMETHING STUPID ) , that I am not alone in thinking their voices didn't sound all that great together. Competing alley cats to be blunt. I know at the time when their duets came on the AM radio in my Greenbrier van ,when I heard that squawking I changed the station.

So it sort of made sense to me when I learned years later, perhaps on these informative forums that the two didn't even record together. That helps explain the disconnect of their dueting, , perhaps the missing ingredient that happens when people sing together off of each other, instead of being doubled on top of each other at a later date.

I would say DON'T KNOCK MY LOVE comes across rather nicely, it apparently is the only song they actually shared studio time together on [[ and a song choice Diana questioned).
    I would say part of what makes it work is that they aren't singing on top of each other , they take turns with the lead ....Diana doesn't even show up on the record for the first 45 seconds lol!
    It's believable , imo , that they're having a good time here, certainly giving it their best shot:

I do agree with Diana's bewilderment of treating the song as a duet , it's hardly a love song or an exchange of endearing sentiments between two people....

Also I think the album cover about says it all, as they face each other , back to back ....lol!
    Love your frankness.

Given Marvin's song writing prowess it's a pity that he didn't write a song especially for the album and that could have replaced Don't Knock My Love.

Thinking about singles from the album, You Are Everything was an excellent choice. I do wonder if Love Twins would have been a successful follow up single.

At 5 songs per LP side the album could have included 1 extra song each side. Perhaps A&S songs could have contributed more or Pam Sawyer as her contribution to the album is a strong song.

what great discussion!! fun fun fun!

So the album chart issue:

it peaked at a disappointing 26

it ran on the charts forever!! 47 weeks!!

so my thought is it might have had inconsistent sales or activity in key markets. plus with Last Time released on top of it, that probably hindered some activity

I do really like You're A Special Part of Me. And You Are Everything is stunning. Just Say Just Say is another fav.

but the rest i tend to ignore

agree that the album was underwhelming. would love to hear more of the tracks that Ashford and Simpson had prepared. wonder if they had handled the album in full, if things would have improved.

It seems like neither singer really was into it. many of Diana's vocals are lackluster and just seem like she's simply going through the motion. Marvin gets a bit carried away with ad libs and all

In my opinion it’s a classic duets album. One of the very best.
    Contrary to opinion, i think Diana and Marvin’s singing styles really compliment each other. Until I found out they had recorded their respective parts separately i would never have guessed. Diana’s vocals sound soulful and relaxed, while Marvin is probably holding back a little.
    As already mentioned, had the album been released in 74 with a stronger lead single it could easily have cracked the top ten USA album charts.

Love your frankness.
    What makes it all the more odd is that individually I looked forward to their songs.

I clearly remember where I was the first time I heard You’re a Special Part of Me. I was in the car, and was soooooooo excited to hear it and equally disappointed after hearing it. It is a horrible song.

Include Me In Your Life should have been the lead single.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-20-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Given Marvin's song writing prowess it's a pity that he didn't write a song especially for the album and that could have replaced Don't Knock My Love.

Thinking about singles from the album, You Are Everything was an excellent choice. I do wonder if Love Twins would have been a successful follow up single.

At 5 songs per LP side the album could have included 1 extra song each side. Perhaps A&S songs could have contributed more or Pam Sawyer as her contribution to the album is a strong song.
    Marvin would have delivered a song in five years’ time.

Half the tracks on “Let’s Get It On” were old works in progress, and the title track was primarily written by Ed Townsend.

It’s just how he was.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 02-20-2021 at 03:18 PM.

Marvin would have delivered a song in five years’ time.

Half the tracks on “Let’s Get It On” were old works in progress, and the title track was primarily written by Ed Townsend.

It’s just how he was.
    did Marvin ever do much producing of others? i would assume it would be a challenge to work with him due to his approach and style.

did Marvin ever do much producing of others? i would assume it would be a challenge to work with him due to his approach and style.
    I know he almost produced an album for Mary Wilson....

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I share the same opinion as you on this album. For me, there are a few songs on this album that stand above the rest, and the rest seem to be sort of average, filler type of material. This album has never particularly excited me, which is too bad, because as you said, the pairing of Diana and Marvin should have been far more magnificent and exciting. It doesn't have the Marvin and Tammi magic.
    I second [[or third) that emotion. I had no idea that “You Are Everything” was released as a single in the UK, but it was my favorite track and I think by far the most beautiful song on the album. The arrangement is flawless and I love at the end when the voices soar a bit high and above the melody and really give it that dramatic finish.

I also agree that “You’re a Special Part of Me” was a terrible choice for a single. It’s too busy, there’s too many lyrics crammed into too few bars, and it takes too long to get the point across.

Overall it’s an OK album, but it lacks spark and I think the excitement that was generated by the Marvin and Tammi duets. Of course after that, who could really live up to that anyway. I must say though, Marvin and Diane made a beautiful looking couple, I don’t think either one ever looked better than they were pictured on this album. Especially Marvin!
    Last edited by kenneth; 02-20-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Yeah. Lost amongst the weed[[s).

If I understand history correctly, it was recorded a long time prior to release, and possibly preceded both Lady Sings The Blues and Let’s Get It On, in which case it catches Marvin very much not at his best, and catches Diana before she hit her purple patch with LSTB and Touch Me In The Morning, wherein she had really developed her lower register into a wonderful thing, and refined her whole singing style.
    Not sure exactly when it was recorded but she was pregnant during the initial sessions which would possibly make it 72 or early 73? Not sure without checking.

the album sold more in the U.S. than the chart position suggests..at the time there was an embezzlement /cut out fraud going on at Motown and much more copies were sold on discount so it sold alot more..I dont understand not releasing "You Are Everything" in the U.S as its top ten UK status shows how good it scored..one of my favourite tracks is "Alone" from the expanded edition I love that song Marvin vocal on "Pledging My Love" is stunning "Just Say" is a great mellow track as well

I do really like You're A Special Part of Me. And You Are Everything is stunning. Just Say Just Say is another fav.

but the rest i tend to ignore

agree that the album was underwhelming. would love to hear more of the tracks that Ashford and Simpson had prepared. wonder if they had handled the album in full, if things would have improved.

It seems like neither singer really was into it. many of Diana's vocals are lackluster and just seem like she's simply going through the motion. Marvin gets a bit carried away with ad libs and all
    You ignore My mistake and Stop Look Listen? They are the cream tracks along with You are everything and Just say.
    Different strokes i guess.

the music video for "You Are Everything" played on Uk's "Top Of The Pops" music show was two white lovers on the beach and in the woods ! TOTPS also played promo clips for the releases of "Im Still Waiting and "Doobedood" dont know if they included footage of Diana or they used actors like "Everything" but both clips still exist in the BBC archive

YOU ARE EVERYTHING

When listening to the original Philly production, its such a home run there's no reason to release a remake as a single unless you are bringing something new and improved about it to the table , which I think [[imo) Motown fails to do, which is why they likely figured it would falter as a US cover song of such a masterful hit. It was however smart of Motown to release it to a market that didn't yet know the song because Marv and Diana do do a respectable turn at it , HOWEVER in listening , I would just as much prefer Marvin sing it his way and by himself , or Diana sing it by herself.... each putting out solo versions on their own albums.

Another case of there being no reason for this song to be a duet... this is a song of someone's lamenting cry of a lost love , its the punch of the song ...

On the Marv and Diana version , at first they intimately address each other one on one , then they carry on about being apart and not being together ...it don't make no sense...
    are they together , or not!!! lol! [[if not ,why not?) I think some lyric adjustment was needed.

RE: The Stylistics version , one of the first hits using a synthesizer??

Added: The popularizing of this "new" song by the Motown duo and its strong #5 hit result is likely a good reason in part that the album itself did better in the UK. Or did somebody already say that ?? lol!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-20-2021 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    the music video for "You Are Everything" played on Uk's "Top Of The Pops" music show was two white lovers on the beach and in the woods ! TOTPS also played promo clips for the releases of "Im Still Waiting and "Doobedood" dont know if they included footage of Diana or they used actors like "Everything" but both clips still exist in the BBC archive
    Neither contained footage of Ms Ross.

Neither contained footage of Ms Ross.
    Many thanks thats one long held Ross mystery solved..Motown in the 70s where slow on the ball with promo videos being made for international promotion - look at Abba - nearly every single had its own music video receiving lots tv exposure worldwide for the "Top Of The Pops" in the UK most times the dance troupe "Pans People" would perform in studio to Ross singles..such a wasted opportunity

Still not quite ready to jump back into the music talk, but had to pop in to a Diana and Marvin thread.

I'll start with the personal: this is one of my fav albums in either artists' catalog. Diana is tied with Aretha as my all time fav female vocalist, and Marvin sits at the top of my all time fav male vocalist list. So if I'm to be 100 percent honest, this album could've literally been Diana and Marvin singing the phone book and I would play it death. I remember when I bought the album on cassette from Camelot. I wore it out. And then two years later I bought the "expanded" cd at Tower. Wore that one out too. It is a go-to album for me. There isn't a song on the album that I hate, but there are definitely some I love more than others. I'm not as crazy about "Just Say" or "Mistake" as some of the rest of you. I do love "Special" and I love "Don't Knock My Love" too. My favorites would have to be "I Think I'm Falling In Love" and "Include Me In Your Life". Also love "I've Come To Love You So Much" and "The Things I Will Not Miss". The photo session is classic.

Now for the impartial part: despite my love for the album, I do think it lacked the sizzle and spark that the public would've expected from these two. By the time of the album's release, both singers had proved their abilities when paired with someone of the opposite sex. Marvin and Tammi's stuff was classic upon release. Diana and Eddie [[along with the Supremes and Tempts) probably had one of the more memorable duets of the 1960s. But when listening to the D&M album, none of the songs sound anything like the classics that were "Your Precious Love" or "You're All I Need" or "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me". As a result, it's a good long playing album, and so it's no surprise to me that the album not only sold better than it's pop charting suggests, but also that it was on the chart for so long. But it didn't really have any singles on it to drive the sales. Maybe "Everything" could've done it, but it so closely resembles the original hit version that it may not have been enough. The album needed a "Touch Me In the Morning" [[which with re-written lyrics might have made a fantastic duet, if never a Diana solo) or "Let's Get It On" but there was none. The cuts just don't jump out at the listener, which is usually how it goes with a highly successful album. In this case, people ended up buying it because it's Diana and Marvin, two of the biggest stars of the decade [[and the previous decade), probably picking it up while browsing a record store instead of running out to get it because they heard the singles.

Ultimately, I think "most" folks find the album pleasing. The songs are nice, the singers do their thing. Unlike some, I never thought Diana and Marvin lacked chemistry. But like others, I do think any duet Marvin did post Tammi was going to disappoint, to a point. Marvin and Tammi were a rare occurrence and really Marvin and Diana could only dream of repeating that kind of success.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 02-20-2021 at 07:25 PM.

Nothing on the Diana / Marvin album had the snap, crackle, and pop of Marvin /Tammi duets. Diana’s vocals were a bit sleepy sounding and thin on her duets with Marvin. Not sure why. She sounded magnificent on Pops We Love You.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-20-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    YOU ARE EVERYTHING

When listening to the original Philly production, its such a home run there's no reason to release a remake as a single unless you are bringing something new and improved about it to the table , which I think [[imo) Motown fails to do, which is why they likely figured it would falter as a US cover song of such a masterful hit. It was however smart of Motown to release it to a market that didn't yet know the song because Marv and Diana do do a respectable turn at it , HOWEVER in listening , I would just as much prefer Marvin sing it his way and by himself , or Diana sing it by herself.... each putting out solo versions on their own albums.

Another case of there being no reason for this song to be a duet... this is a song of someone's lamenting cry of a lost love , its the punch of the song ...

On the Marv and Diana version , at first they intimately address each other one on one , then they carry on about being apart and not being together ...it don't make no sense...
    are they together , or not!!! lol! [[if not ,why not?) I think some lyric adjustment was needed.

RE: The Stylistics version , one of the first hits using a synthesizer??

Added: The popularizing of this "new" song by the Motown duo and its strong #5 hit result is likely a good reason in part that the album itself did better in the UK. Or did somebody already say that ?? lol!
    I love the Stylistics' version, with it's heart-rendingly melancholy intro, but find the Diana and Marvin version overdone and a bit obvious, especially the intro.

Your analysis of the contradiction within their version is excellent. I've never looked at it that way before, but it's so true.

the albums legacy lives on - in hip hop... "Whos Sampled.Com" lists hundreds of samples of the albums tracks used in hip hop tracks

It's moderate USA success is in direct contrast to it's UK success where it remained on the chart for over a year if i recall correctly.
    The UK got it right with the choice of singles. The USA most certainly did not, and i think that is one of the major reasons why it was not bigger in the States. The fact that it was far from being a great album is another possible reason.
    Sup Fan is quite correct when he says the timing of it's release was all wrong. It should have been delayed for 6-9 months to allow their respective solo albums more time to sell.
    Despite my misgivings i would love Universal to sanction a definitive expanded edition to include the solo versions of the songs. We can only dream......
    Bluebrock, I think "underwhelmed" is the key. I hadn't heard anything from "Diana & Marvin" before I found the LP in the late 80s. There isn't a single track on that album that became a radio airplay staple in the U.S. Even today I can only vaguely hum "My Mistake."

This album doesn't seem to fit in the timeline of Marvin Gaye's evolution as an artist, and how Diana Ross was excelling as a commercial pop star. The songs are unremarkable and there is nothing groundbreaking about the production. You'd think Motown would have committed its full creative arsenal to this project but it sounds like something that should have preceded "What's Going On" and Diana's solo debut.

It is an underwhelming blip in their respective discographies. Definitely listenable -- as are most things Motown -- but undistinguished.

My memory is that this album stayed on the Billboard Top 200 for quite a long time - perhaps around 40 weeks and sold more than many people thought

I was surprised to hear "Stop look Listen" in Brigit Jones Diary movie i thought it was strange to hear a less well known motown song used in a pivotal scene ive noticed the track used in several love themed compilations since it featured in that movies release

[QUOTE=jobeterob;608440]My memory is that this album stayed on the Billboard Top 200 for quite a long time - perhaps around 40 weeks and sold more than many people thought[/QU

Jobeterob - you are correct it sold a hell of alot more copies than the U.S chart indicate Gerald Posner's book on Motown contains legal depostions of the discount "cut out" scheme Motown employees were using at the time to rip off Motown and Berry also Jackson 5 albums sold more than official figures suggest.. Berry had no idea thousands and thousands more lps were being pressed and sold to stores for cash at this period the album was released

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Bluebrock, I think "underwhelmed" is the key. I hadn't heard anything from "Diana & Marvin" before I found the LP in the late 80s. There isn't a single track on that album that became a radio airplay staple in the U.S. Even today I can only vaguely hum "My Mistake."

This album doesn't seem to fit in the timeline of Marvin Gaye's evolution as an artist, and how Diana Ross was excelling as a commercial pop star. The songs are unremarkable and there is nothing groundbreaking about the production. You'd think Motown would have committed its full creative arsenal to this project but it sounds like something that should have preceded "What's Going On" and Diana's solo debut.

It is an underwhelming blip in their respective discographies. Definitely listenable -- as are most things Motown -- but undistinguished.
    I think part of the problem was that neither artist wanted to do this album. I am told Marvin was pretty much forced into doing it by Berry, whilst Diana was more open to doing an album with Stevie whom she got along better with than Marvin.
    Obviously Stevie was way too busy entering his great creative period in the 70's to do a full album with Diana, and i can only guess what Marvin's thoughts were when he found out Diana didn't want to work with him.
    I am listening to the album as i write this and once again i am struck by the lack of chemistry between this pair of wonderful performers. It's hardly a bad album. Merely an underwhelming one.

Most agree You're A special Part Of Me was a bad lead single - it did make the Breakers in the UK charts when released at the end of 1973.

However the UK realised the potential of You Are Everything and went with it as the next single in March 74 when it became the first single on the Tamla Motown label to officially receive a certification [[Silver).

They then chose Stop Look..... as the next single which was a minor hit.

This was probably when My Mistake should have been released - I think it could have gone top 20 in the wake of Everything.

When they eventually released it in October most of the potential buyers had the album and it had been 4 months since Stop Look so I'm not really surprised it got no further than the Breakers.

I don't know what the idea was in releasing Don't Knock My Love as a single in July 1975 - that meant every track had had single status - it did nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Most agree You're A special Part Of Me was a bad lead single - it did make the Breakers in the UK charts when released at the end of 1973.

However the UK realised the potential of You Are Everything and went with it as the next single in March 74 when it became the first single on the Tamla Motown label to officially receive a certification [[Silver).

They then chose Stop Look..... as the next single which was a minor hit.

This was probably when My Mistake should have been released - I think it could have gone top 20 in the wake of Everything.

When they eventually released it in October most of the potential buyers had the album and it had been 4 months since Stop Look so I'm not really surprised it got no further than the Breakers.

I don't know what the idea was in releasing Don't Knock My Love as a single in July 1975 - that meant every track had had single status - it did nothing.
    According to my late friend who worked in the EMI UK office in the 70's it was to bridge the gap before the release of the Black album which had been delayed for a few months. It was an odd choice for sure.

we listened to this LP a lot...[[me and my HS GF...who along with her older sister were MG lovers) it is, in retrospect, a very uneven LP....You Are Everything, Love Twins, Don't Knock My Love, Just Say, Stop Look Listen are all still OK with me....Love Twins and Don't Knock My Love [[heard that one on Soul Train!) were my fav's….DR's vocal on Pledging My Love is so bad, even at 15 I couldn't imagine how it was released....MG really as they say "sang circles around her" on many cuts.

You ignore My mistake and Stop Look Listen? They are the cream tracks along with You are everything and Just say.
    Different strokes i guess.
    yeah Mistake has never done much for me.

I remember as a young kid in the mid 70’s, shut away in my bedroom playing all my Motown albums, including Diana & Marvin to death. I knew every lick and line, and was basically Diana Ross crazy.
    Albums like Diana & Marvin are to me classic Motown and will forever hold a special place in my heart. Part of the fabric of my life I guess. The album might not sound quite as spectacular here in 2021 as it did back in the day, but it’s still pretty classy Motown duet music.

Zero passion between D and M, unlike all of his work with Tammi.

I've heard they recorded their duets separately and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I remember as a young kid in the mid 70’s, shut away in my bedroom playing all my Motown albums, including Diana & Marvin to death. I knew every lick and line, and was basically Diana Ross crazy.
    Albums like Diana & Marvin are to me classic Motown and will forever hold a special place in my heart. Part of the fabric of my life I guess. The album might not sound quite as spectacular here in 2021 as it did back in the day, but it’s still pretty classy Motown duet music.
    Glad you really appreciate it Ollie.