[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Zero passion between D and M, unlike all of his work with Tammi.

I've heard they recorded their duets separately and it shows.
    Zero passion and zero chemistry. However it does have it's admirers and has no doubt sold a hefty amount over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Glad you really appreciate it Ollie.
    I am quite fond when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    we listened to this LP a lot...[[me and my HS GF...who along with her older sister were MG lovers) it is, in retrospect, a very uneven LP....You Are Everything, Love Twins, Don't Knock My Love, Just Say, Stop Look Listen are all still OK with me....Love Twins and Don't Knock My Love [[heard that one on Soul Train!) were my fav's….DR's vocal on Pledging My Love is so bad, even at 15 I couldn't imagine how it was released....MG really as they say "sang circles around her" on many cuts.
    lol ! I was expecting this to be much worse, sounds like standard DR to me , although I do think she's perched at the high end of her range for far too long...

what does this song remind me of, beside the original ...... hmmmm

this??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    lol ! I was expecting this to be much worse, sounds like standard DR to me , although I do think she's perched at the high end of her range for far too long...

what does this song remind me of, beside the original ...... hmmmm

this??

At first I thought nah, but have since changed my mind. They are indeed a ‘tad similar. Who would have thought.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-21-2021 at 01:19 PM.

I think part of the problem was that neither artist wanted to do this album. I am told Marvin was pretty much forced into doing it by Berry, whilst Diana was more open to doing an album with Stevie whom she got along better with than Marvin.
    Obviously Stevie was way too busy entering his great creative period in the 70's to do a full album with Diana, and i can only guess what Marvin's thoughts were when he found out Diana didn't want to work with him.
    I am listening to the album as i write this and once again i am struck by the lack of chemistry between this pair of wonderful performers. It's hardly a bad album. Merely an underwhelming one.
    This bothers me in the same way having "fake" singers falsely representing the artists on their records bothers me. There's a dishonesty that Motown seems fine with. I don't mean artists have to be in love to sing duets , but for crying out loud , if they can't even stand to be in the studio together why try to pass them off in this manner? What if this had really taken off ...[[ENDLESS LOVE status) and two more albums followed...it might have totally rerouted the projectory of both artists . What if Marvin and Diana had to then spend the rest of their careers sharing the stage together !! Oh the irony, as they make goo goo eyes at each other on stage then go to separate dressing rooms on opposite ends of the stage immediately after! lol! Would've served them right ! This dishonest hoax deserved to fail!

Diana and Marvin were not enemies.

This bothers me in the same way having "fake" singers falsely representing the artists on their records bothers me. There's a dishonesty that Motown seems fine with. I don't mean artists have to be in love to sing duets , but for crying out loud , if they can't even stand to be in the studio together why try to pass them off in this manner? What if this had really taken off ...[[ENDLESS LOVE status) and two more albums followed...it might have totally rerouted the projectory of both artists . What if Marvin and Diana had to then spend the rest of their careers sharing the stage together !! Oh the irony, as they make goo goo eyes at each other on stage then go to separate dressing rooms on opposite ends of the stage immediately after! lol! Would've served them right ! This dishonest hoax deserved to fail!
    Diana to her credit refused to be in the same recording booth as Marvin as she happened to be heavily pregnant and he insisted on smoking something a wee bit stronger then your average cigee.
    Other then that I have never heard of the two not getting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Sorry Boogie, but I think the two songs have as much in common as elephants to prunes.
    hee hee good answer...for some reason I get a kick out of that imagery . BTW I like that you like the album. I'm not as invested as you , and believe me I am very defensive of my most beloved music, and happily nothing anyone can say can deter that.

If you thought that comparison was elephants and prunes , I also hear some of this in it [[ especially from Marvin):

which I'm glad I looked up because I've never seen it performed before.

Confessions : I actually bought this 45 as a teenager. Yes I was a tender soul!!

and could the intro to PLEDGE also almost go into ........I WILL SURVIVE .....

Diana to her credit refused to be in the same recording booth as Marvin as she happened to be heavily pregnant and he insisted on smoking something a wee bit stronger then your average cigee.
    Other then that I have never heard of the two not getting on

that issue could have been resolved so much easier than, " I'll never set foot in the studio with him again!!" Good grief what a pain that made this project. As soon as it became that , they should've said "this ain't gonna work." Why force it?? Contrived. Not saying they were enenies , but obviously not chums either.

Berry Gordy should've called Marvin and said ."Hey Marv smoke your reefer out in the car and then go into the studio ." Problem solved . IF that was all there was to it.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-21-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Funnily enough i have always thought of you as a tender soul boogie. As for this song ......erm......yea.
    Can’t quite hear it myself, but that’s not to say the similarity isn’t there. You believe it my love and sometimes that’s the most important thing.

They were seen together to often, for some to say they weren’t friends. They were indeed friends. Sometimes friends can’t work together, just like sometimes family can’t work together.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    They were seen together to often, for some to say they weren’t friends. They were indeed friends. Sometimes friends can’t work together, just like sometimes family can’t work together.
    I don't quite get the point. If they can't work together , then why try to contrive an album between them?
    ....even if they were friends otherwise, or if even if they were all over each other otherwise for that matter ....?

hee hee good answer...for some reason I get a kick out of that imagery . BTW I like that you like the album. I'm not as invested as you , and believe me I am very defensive of my most beloved music, and happily nothing anyone can say can deter that.

If you thought that comparison was elephants and prunes , I also hear some of this in it [[ especially from Marvin):

which I'm glad I looked up because I've never seen it performed before.

Confessions : I actually bought this 45 as a teenager. Yes I was a tender soul!!

and could the intro to PLEDGE also almost go into ........I WILL SURVIVE .....

that issue could have been resolved so much easier than, " I'll never set foot in the studio with him again!!" Good grief what a pain that made this project. As soon as it became that , they should've said "this ain't gonna work." Why force it?? Contrived. Not saying they were enenies , but obviously not chums either.

Berry Gordy should've called Marvin and said ."Hey Marv smoke your reefer out in the car and then go into the studio ." Problem solved . IF that was all there was to it.
    I think BG was scared of upsetting anyone in case one or indeed both singers departed in a huff vowing never to return. He decided to play the diplomat, hoping for the best.

I don't quite get the point. If they can't work together , then why try to contrive an album between them?
    ....even if they were friends otherwise, or if even if they were all over each other otherwise for that matter ....?
    Let’s keep it real. It’s not that they couldn’t work together. Marvin by his own admission said he acted like an asshole. His own insecurities led to problems in the studio. His immature behavior resulted in Diana requesting separate studio time. What kind of man does drugs/smokes around a pregnant woman? That is reprehensible. Outside of this working issue they had, they still remained friends. Lastly, I don’t get the big deal about them recording separately. So many songs are recorded this way. Yet this is always brought up like it’s something rare.

Let’s keep it real. It’s not that they couldn’t work together. Marvin by his own admission said he acted like an asshole. His own insecurities led to problems in the studio. His immature behavior resulted in Diana requesting separate studio time. What kind of man does drugs/smokes around a pregnant woman? That is reprehensible. Outside of this working issue they had, they still remained friends. Lastly, I don’t get the big deal about them recording separately. So many songs are recorded this way. Yet this is always brought up like it’s something rare.
    Khansperac, it was you who said they couldn't work together, and now you're explaining why they couldn't work together while at the same time saying its not that they couldn't work together. ???

Is there a list of songs recorded this way ?? Much less entire albums?? I can only think of one, YOU DON'T BRING ME FLOWERS , which a dj combined the two recordings after the fact. Babs and Neil never tried to pass off a phony project as being between the two of them.

Be most interesting to hear of others.

Khansperac, it was you who said they couldn't work together, and now you're explaining why they couldn't work together while at the same time saying its not that they couldn't work together. ???

Is there a list of songs recorded this way ?? Much less entire albums?? I can only think of one, YOU DON'T BRING ME FLOWERS , which a dj combined the two recordings after the fact. Babs and Neil never tried to pass off a phony project as being between the two of them.

Be most interesting to hear of others.
    I can name one and I am sure there are a lot more. No one hardly ever mentions Patti Labelle and Michael McDonald's duet “On my own” was recorded separately. I actually read they didn’t even know each other yet. But people like to make a fuss because it’s Diana Ross. Duets have been recorded separately in the industry many times. Just nobody says anything.

No chemistry?!? I guess people hear something else that I do. I think their voices work wonderfully together on most of the songs, particularly "You Are Everything," "Love Twins," and "Just Say, Just Say." As far as the recording separately is concerned, that was and still is the common practice in the industry. Most Marvin and Tammi duets were recorded separately; Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald had never even met until after their song "On My Own" became a hit -- also the music video was shot separately. Diana & Marvin is far from a perfect album, but that has less to do to "lack of chemistry" or recording it separately, but of -- as some already stated -- the selection of songs. And I do wish they had recorded more original material together, either composed/produced by Ashford & Simpson, or by Marvin himself. But the love is there, at least to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    No chemistry?!? I guess people hear something else that I do. I think their voices work wonderfully together on most of the songs, particularly "You Are Everything," "Love Twins," and "Just Say, Just Say." As far as the recording separately is concerned, that was and still is the common practice in the industry. Most Marvin and Tammi duets were recorded separately; Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald had never even met until after their song "On My Own" became a hit -- also the music video was shot separately. Diana & Marvin is far from a perfect album, but that has less to do to "lack of chemistry" or recording it separately, but of -- as some already stated -- the selection of songs. And I do wish they had recorded more original material together, either composed/produced by Ashford & Simpson, or by Marvin himself. But the love is there, at least to my ears.
    ^This!! I was going to mention the Marvin/Tammi duets but you beat me to the punch .

I'll also go on record agreeing about the album. I love most of the songs and vocal performances by both superstars. My least favorite is ironically the one they recorded together in the studio. On my Diana Ross favorites playlist [[and on my Marvin Gaye favorites playlist) are Just Say Just Say, Love Twins, You Are Everything, I've Come To Love You So Much, My Mistake, Stop Look & Listen and Include Me In Your Life. I think the first three could possibly have been hits in the U.S., given a chance.

I was beginning to think I was alone. Agree 100%. I love their vocal interplay during “Love Twins”. When Diana breaths ‘I love you Marvin’ she sounds like she really means it.
    “Just Say” is another fine example of how beautifully their voices blend together.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I can name one and I am sure there are a lot more. No one hardly ever mentions Patti Labelle and Michael McDonald's duet “On my own” was recorded separately. I actually read they didn’t even know each other yet. But people like to make a fuss because it’s Diana Ross. Duets have been recorded separately in the industry many times. Just nobody says anything.

I didn't know that about Labelle and McDonald and I'm disapppointed.
    Personally , I don't say anything "because it's Diana Ross" one way or another, but I suppose some do .

OK so there's what, two songs that were recorded apart.

Other's???

I just gave myself a chuckle, when they were singing "on my own " I didn't realize they meant literally !!lol! [[well at least they were admitting it !)

I'm finding this most odd ....the defending of recording duets apart !! Is it really as common as claimed ?
    And in this case , its the reason Marv and Diana didn't record together that makes it less palatable [[imo). They pulled it off to a degree, but I'm wondering how much BETTER the results could have been if they were in the studio working off of each other. That's [[perhaps) the tragedy of it.
    I'm not particularly interested in hearing love songs between two people who can't even connect enough to record together [[it don't make no sense).

Tammi and Marvin: Not sure why initially they recorded apart? , but later
    isn't the Tammi situation another shameful example of deceit? Someone so sick , and yet releases are put out on behalf of her as if .....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-21-2021 at 04:58 PM.

I'm finding this most odd ....the defending of recording duets apart !! Is it really as common as claimed ?
    And in this case , its the reason Marv and Diana didn't record together that makes it less palatable [[imo). They pulled it off to a degree, but I'm wondering how much BETTER the results could have been if they were in the studio working off of each other. That's [[perhaps) the tragedy of it.
    I'm not particularly interested in hearing love songs between two people who can't even connect enough to record together [[it don't make no sense).

Tammi and Marvin:
    Isn't the Tammi situation another shameful example of deceit? Someone so sick , and yet releases are put out on behalf of her as if .....
    But think of the pleasure those recordings have given to millions all over the world Boogie. Surely that in itself is justification.

I didn't know that about Labelle and McDonald and I'm disapppointed.
    Personally , I don't say anything "because it's Diana Ross" one way or another, but I suppose some do .

OK so there's what, two songs that were recorded apart.

Other's???
    AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH was originally a Tammi solo recording to which Marvin later added his vocals. Ditto for their recordings HOLD ME OH MY DARLING, TWO CAN HAVE A PARTY, GIVE IN, YOU JUST CAN'T WIN, WHEN LOVES COMES KNOCKING AT MY HEART, MEMORY CHEST, and others. Some of these were turned into duets when Tammi became ill. But others, like some on their first duet album, UNITED, were done before.

Some of the Supremes/Tempts duets were recorded separately.

Aretha and George Michael's I KNEW YOU WERE WAITING was done mostly sepately, George recorded his vocal on one day, Aretha did her the next, then they got together on the third day to finish it up.

Aretha and James Brown's GIMME YOUR LOVE was totally done separately. According to the producer, Narada Michael Walden, James was rather disappointed when he showed up at the studio and found Aretha not present.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    But think of the pleasure those recordings have given to millions all over the world Boogie. Surely that in itself is justification.
    Wow that is so loaded, Ollie. Couldn't we say the same thing about religion or heroin!! lol!!

I now know that Donna Summer didn't relish being the queen of disco and especially wanted to distance herself from the gay aspect. I still love listening to her music , although there's a bit of tarnish there. The music itself overcomes it. Music is such a powerful part of our lives .....

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH was originally a Tammi solo recording to which Marvin later added his vocals. Ditto for their recordings HOLD ME OH MY DARLING, TWO CAN HAVE A PARTY, GIVE IN, YOU JUST CAN'T WIN, WHEN LOVES COMES KNOCKING AT MY HEART, MEMORY CHEST, and others. Some of these were turned into duets when Tammi became ill. But others, like some on their first duet album, UNITED, were done before.

Some of the Supremes/Tempts duets were recorded separately.

Aretha and George Michael's I KNEW YOU WERE WAITING was done mostly sepately, George recorded his vocal on one day, Aretha did her the next, then they got together on the third day to finish it up.

Aretha and James Brown's GIMME YOUR LOVE was totally done separately. According to the producer, Narada Michael Walden, James was rather disappointed when he showed up at the studio and found Aretha not present.
    Interesting. I don't consider those Aretha duets particularly moving , bunch a noise actually,

Now if you tell me songs like ENDLESS LOVE and WITH YOU I'M BORN AGAIN were recorded in separate studios in Pittsburgh and Helsinki , then I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Diana and Marvin were not enemies.
    No one here is claiming they were enemies, but they were most certainly not close friends.

Interesting. I don't consider those Aretha duets particularly moving , bunch a noise actually,

Now if you tell me songs like ENDLESS LOVE and WITH YOU I'M BORN AGAIN were recorded in separate studios in Pittsburgh and Helsinki , then I'm ready to throw in the towel.
    Endless Love was indeed recorded in
    separate studios in separate States. Sorry Boogiedown. Ms Ross was on tour and recorded her part after performing a show. Ditto Dreaming of you.
    These days the vast majority of duets are recorded separately.

Patti and Michael did not even meet up until the record became a smash.
    Michael told me that.

In answer to the original question. It's not just this album that should have charted better. Poor management and marketing - especially in the US - meant most Motown releases of the 70s underperformed. UK successes compared to US failures show what can happen when the releases are better managed and promoted.

What kind of man does drugs/smokes around a pregnant woman? That is reprehensible.
    Back then plenty of pregnant women would have done their own smoking, let alone inhaling any from others.

Diana herself only gave up smoking cigarettes in 1977 though she may have cut back/given up during her pregnancies.
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 02-21-2021 at 05:40 PM.

Wow that is so loaded, Ollie. Couldn't we say the same thing about religion or heroin!! lol!!

I now know that Donna Summer didn't relish being the queen of disco and especially wanted to distance herself from the gay aspect. I still love listening to her music , although there's a bit of tarnish there. The music itself overcomes it. Music is such a powerful part of our lives .....
    Indeed it is Boog. Unlike heroin, music being a much simpler, more innocent pleasure far less detrimental to ones health.
    I’m glad you still enjoy Donna’s music, regardless of her personal politics. She did of course go on to deny such homophobic claims saying it was blown out of all proportion. Funnily enough I was listening to her just the other day.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-21-2021 at 05:51 PM.

separate studios in separate States. Sorry Boogiedown. Ms Ross was on tour and recorded her part after performing a show. Ditto Dreaming of you.
    Oh dear . I really don't want to be so contrarian, Bluebrock . But here's what's in songfacts:

Getting the singers together to record this song was a challenge. They ended up meeting at a recording studio in Reno, Nevada in the early morning of May 8, 1981 following Ross' concert in nearby Lake Tahoe [[Richie came in from Los Angeles). The session began around 3:30 a.m. Less than two hours later, they had their vocals on tape.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/dian...e/endless-love
    I see nothing said either way in wiki.

Let me choose another one: Dolly and Kenny's ISLANDS IN THE STREAM , they BETTER have sung that one together, I call that duet perfection... or I'm going to go out in the surf at high tide !! lol!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-21-2021 at 05:56 PM.

I heard a different story. Diana Ross was doing an engagement at Caesars Tahoe in Lake Tahoe Nevada. After her show she was driven to Reno Nevada to meet Lionel Ritchie where they recorded the song past midnight early in the morning. My memory is a little foggy right now but I believe it was an interview by Lionel Ritchie. Don’t know if it’s true or not but that is what was said.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    In answer to the original question. It's not just this album that should have charted better. Poor management and marketing - especially in the US - meant most Motown releases of the 70s underperformed. UK successes compared to US failures show what can happen when the releases are better managed and promoted.

Back then plenty of pregnant women would have done their own smoking, let alone inhaling any from others.

Diana herself only gave up smoking cigarettes in 1977 though she may have cut back/given up during her pregnancies.
    This is sort of the creme de la creme of this whole separate studios fiasco !!

"He's smoking that crap around my baby-to-be and I won't HAVE it!! , " Ross indignantly proclaims , stomping her feet, while puffing on a Parliament. Ha Ha .....tooo much.

ok I'll be quiet now

No one here is claiming they were enemies, but they were most certainly not close friends.
    agreed. frankly it's almost like coworkers in totally separate departments in a company. sure you might have a few projects or meetings together but essentially 99% of your time and work is totally separate. there isn't necessarily ill-will but there's no need to assume that just because they knew each other, they were friends.

they just worked for the same company

I heard a different story. Diana Ross was doing an engagement at Caesars Tahoe in Lake Tahoe Nevada. After her show she was driven to Reno Nevada to meet Lionel Ritchie where they recorded the song past midnight early in the morning. My memory is a little foggy right now but I believe it was an interview by Lionel Ritchie. Don’t know if it’s true or not but that is what was said.
    Lionel produced this song so, yes, he was in the studio with Diana I'd assume. but that doesn't mean he stood there next to her and recorded his lead vocals.

Patti and Michael did not even meet up until the record became a smash.
    Michael told me that.
    They met for the first time when they performed the song on THE TONIGHT SHOW.

"All of You", the beautiful duet with Diana Ross and Julio Iglesias ,was it recorded together in a studio? Or on different continents? Diana Ross' vocals are quite lovely in this song If this song were re-released, it would still sell. Could be the theme song of a romantic chick flick.

Oh dear . I really don't want to be so contrarian, Bluebrock . But here's what's in songfacts:

I see nothing said either way in wiki.

Let me choose another one: Dolly and Kenny's ISLANDS IN THE STREAM , they BETTER have sung that one together, I call that duet perfection... or I'm going to go out in the surf at high tide !! lol!!
    No offence taken Boogie! The reason why i am so sure the vocals for Endless Love were recorded in separate States is because i was told that very thing by Lionel Richie himself. I see no reason whatsoever why he would tell me that if it were not true. It was told to me in a private conversation in a relaxed environment rather than an official interview but he told it to me without any prompting. I didn't even ask him the question. Obviously Lionel was in the studio when Diana put down her vocals, but he cut his own vocals in another studio prior to this. Hope that makes sense?
    As regards Island in the stream i have no idea as to how and where that was recorded so please put that surfing expedition at high tide on hold for the moment!
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 02-22-2021 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    "All of You", the beautiful duet with Diana Ross and Julio Iglesias ,was it recorded together in a studio? Or on different continents? Diana Ross' vocals are quite lovely in this song If this song were re-released, it would still sell. Could be the theme song of a romantic chick flick.
    I do not know if Diana and Julio were together when recording All of you, but i agree it could be the theme song for a chick flick.

Recording separate vocal tracks isn't just a technique for duets. There must be many songs by groups where the backing track, including vocals, are finalised before the lead vocal is recorded.

Diana and Marvin works well for me, clearly for others on here too. The album's UK success was not to be sniffed at either so there are many who felt the same at the time of release too.

There clearly was affection between the two of them as you can see it in the body language in the Missing You video where Marvin joins Diana on stage. Those looks and closeness are not easily fabricated.

Marvin wanted to smoke the good sh!t in the studio while Diana was pregnant. And, the lp did just fine considering it's mid-level quality.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Marvin wanted to smoke the good sh!t in the studio while Diana was pregnant. And, the lp did just fine considering it's mid-level quality.
    I think i would agree with you regarding the album's performance. It did indeed do just fine considering it's mid-level quality. I could not put it better myself, and i shall not even attempt to.

Production wise [[from aural point of view) the songs, while outstanding, do not immediately grab me. I think of a dimly lit room when I hear this selections as they lack any production sizzle to them. With that said, it's still a favorite go-to album that I listen to when I just want to sit back and relax. Diana's voice during this period was very rich and syrupy sounding, and I feel the back and forth singing with Marvin [[though in different recording sessions) was woven to make it believable that they could have actually been singing together.

No offence taken Boogie! The reason why i am so sure the vocals for Endless Love were recorded in separate States is because i was told that very thing by Lionel Richie himself. I see no reason whatsoever why he would tell me that if it were not true. It was told to me in a private conversation in a relaxed environment rather than an official interview but he told it to me without any prompting. I didn't even ask him the question. Obviously Lionel was in the studio when Diana put down her vocals, but he cut his own vocals in another studio prior to this. Hope that makes sense?
    As regards Island in the stream i have no idea as to how and where that was recorded so please put that surfing expedition at high tide on hold for the moment!
    Ha! Very good, and Bluebrock, if you find out anything, like Kenny Rogers was eating fried chicken and Dolly couldn't stand the smell so she refused to be in the same room with him ....please keep it to yourself!

It seems odd to me that Lionel would show up with a basically completed project and direct her to, "here, sing over this " , BUT what do I know, apparently that's perfectly acceptable protocol , and didn't phase Diana who had plenty of experience with the technique via the Gaye project. Maybe she even suggested it! "Just bring it up here , I'll sing on it after my show."

I can't imagine that either had any idea that when she was singing her parts at two in the morning, Diana was in the process of vocalizing Motown's biggest song ever. Probably a good thing ! "Let's get this dang movie song done, however we have to."

I love 'You are everything', mainly because of Diana's performance. her glossy sophistication and clear enunciation does not detract from her sincerity and ingenuity.It goes the same for 'All of you'.
    Alongside her, Marvin Gay seems to be redoubling his efforts to exist.

ON MY OWN [[ not a big fan, same line over and over and over, but no hate ) is genius on behalf of Patti Labelle. Reading about it , she gets full credit....she felt the song lacked something , she felt a duet might make it work , she picked Michael McDonald.
    Good move Patti!!

meanwhile, poor Dionne Warwick who first recorded it, it was written for her !!! But apparently so lackluster, they left it off her FRIENDS lp. "dam, I wish I'd thought of that!!"

would like to hear it, still in the vaults? Not on youtube.... Dionne still performed in person as if ....

Here is a video of Lionel discussing the recording of Endless Love.

https://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/li...dless-53058991

ON MY OWN [[ not a big fan, same line over and over and over, but no hate ) is genius on behalf of Patti Labelle. Reading about it , she gets full credit....she felt the song lacked something , she felt a duet might make it work , she picked Michael McDonald.
    Good move Patti!!

meanwhile, poor Dionne Warwick who first recorded it, it was written for her !!! But apparently so lackluster, they left it off her FRIENDS lp. "dam, I wish I'd thought of that!!"

would like to hear it, still in the vaults? Not on youtube.... Dionne still performed in person as if ....

I never knew Dionne recorded on my own. Wonder why it didn't appear on the Arista boxset last year? Would love to hear it.

how about the irony of it....Burt Bacharach writes the song for her, Burt Bacharach!, but she interprets it so poorly it doesn't even make it onto to her new album. Deemed not usable. A Burt Bacharach composition ....written, for her! . She, Dionne Warwick can't deliver.

How traumatic for her that the same discarded song with a different twist is actually a #1 song waiting to happen....

I've heard Lionel Ritchie talk about Endless Love....He did it as a solo, thought it needed a female vocal part...flew to Vegas, where Diana Ross was performing and she sang her part after her show.