[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    @jack020, hey thank you! I never looked there. I’ve never bought from them but I will certainly do so this time. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    There were Gladys and the Pips expanded editions? Wow. I never knew that. Now i am really interested.
    As I recall, he only got to the first three Motown LPs, “everybody needs love” had an extra disc, I don’t remember if “feeling bluesy “did or not. He did “silk and soul” but I don’t think it had a bonus disc with it either. On the last album there was one track which was also repeated twice by mistake. Shortly after that was when he got tagged and stopped producing the CDs.
    Last edited by kenneth; 02-19-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    As I recall, he only got to the first three Motown LPs, “everybody needs love” had an extra disc, I don’t remember if “feeling bluesy “did or not. He did “silk and soul” but I don’t think it had a bonus disc with it either. On the last album there was one track which was also repeated twice my mistake. Shortly after that was when he got tagged and stopped producing the CDs.
    I have most of the Motown albums reissued as 2 albums on i cd in the UK around 15-20 years ago. I think there were 5 cd's containing 10 original albums. Not sure if that accounts for them all.I don't recall them containing bonus cuts, but there may have been a few. I need to check.
    I do like the sound of these expanded editions.

it's one thing for fans to pass around bootleg copies of the music. while it's still illegal, i get the premise here. sharing bootlegs of random live shows, rare tv appearances, etc.

the problem is if the "fan" is profiting from his actions. if he's selling these cds then that's an issue. now he's not doing it 'for the love of the music and legacy' but to turn a profit.
    shame on that person

now i don't know about this specific guy selling these cds - if he's charging for them or what. so i'm not necessarily accusing him of this but speaking more in the general sense
    Last edited by sup_fan; 02-19-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's one thing for fans to pass around bootleg copies of the music. while it's still illegal, i get the premise here. sharing bootlegs of random live shows, rare tv appearances, etc.

the problem is if the "fan" is profiting from his actions. if he's selling these cds then that's an issue. now he's not doing it 'for the love of the music and legacy' but to turn a profit

shame on him
    It is difficult to disagree with you Mr M.
    Doing it for the love and doing it for greed and profit are two entirely different things, but from what i am told he didn 't charge much for this product, or was i misinformed?

Doing it for the love and doing it for greed and profit are two entirely different things, but from what i am told he didn 't charge much for this product, or was i misinformed?
    yeah i'm not familiar with this specific guys products or prices. so i was sort of saying "him" in a generic sense but I'll go back and edit my post. i haven't looked into his stuff to see and so don't want to falsely accuse

As I recall, the single disks were a little more than $20, and the double disks were closer to $30. I felt they were all worth the money except a few releases had too many versions of the same song, for example on the “Floy Joy” release, the title song I think had four or five different versions and to my ears they weren’t all that different.

I have most of the Motown albums reissued as 2 albums on i cd in the UK around 15-20 years ago. I think there were 5 cd's containing 10 original albums. Not sure if that accounts for them all.I don't recall them containing bonus cuts, but there may have been a few. I need to check.
    On the releases you mentioned, all of the Pips' Motown albums finally made it to cd, with the exception of their live album ALL IN A KNIGHT'S WORK.

There were also additional tracks on each, but nothing like the expanded sets that have been done on the Supremes.

I think that was nearly the entire Motown catalog, except I don’t think they did the live album or the early greatest hits set.

I think that was nearly the entire Motown catalog, except I don’t think they did the live album or the early greatest hits set.
    The three remakes from their 1970 GREATEST HITS album were included on one of the discs.

Thanks for sharing that. It’s always fascinating to learn these things about folks.

I’ve only come to appreciate Jerry Butler lately. I think when I was younger I just thought he was too mellow or something. Now I’ve really come to appreciate his voice. I believe he was on VeeJay records for most of his career, wasn’t he?

Another vocalist who I think is in a similar vein is Major Lance who I only learned last year, when she became a popular news guest, that he was the father of the mayor of Atlanta, Keisha Lance Bottoms. Whenever they interview her one of his albums is sitting on her shelf in the background, proudly displayed.

What makes that Jerry Butler album so rare or hard to find? Has his catalog not Been issued on CD for the most part?

I don’t have too many CDs on my bucket list, except one which you’ll probably laugh at. I really love the Salsoul Orchestra’s “Christmas jollies,“ and I have both volumes on CD but volume two is very hard to find and I’d love to buy it for a friend of mine. I love those two albums. They’re so joyful and fun to listen to especially on New Year’s Eve it’s become kind of a tradition for me to listen to both albums.

Now other than that I can’t think of anything which I just have to have. I’m afraid I’ve bought everything!

But I’d love to know what Jerry Butler albums you highly recommend as long as they’re available and won’t cost me a fortune!
    Who, Kenneth, can ever ascertain why certain lps have been released on CD and others have not? Of course projected sales $ is/are a major factor, yet ... After all, Jerry Butler was a much greater chart presence than, say, Betty Davis ever was. Not to mention Jackie Shane. Of course, matters such as an 'oddity' that can bring about press interest is a major factor. Jerry Butler's cd reissue has been actually pretty good, yet scattershot. Earlier lps with no hits have been issued, and in the 'new' cd years there was a semi-box [[2 cds) that was quite good. Indispensable is the now out-of-print 'Ice Man Commeth/Ice On Ice' single cd with those 2 complete lps. The lps with Thelma Houston are quite nice [[though I am not a duet fan). Butler went through several renaissances, and 'Spice of Life' and 'The Sagittarius Movement' are fan favorites. SM features his big r&b duet with Brenda Lee Eager, 'Ain't Understanding Mellow', which makes time stand still.

i still cant afford all the official expanded releases that are out never mind to start collecting bootleg ones !

Hi Kenneth,
    tried to contact you, but your inbox seems to be full. Maybe you can send me a message?!!?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbfly_new View Post
    Hi Kenneth,
    tried to contact you, but your inbox seems to be full. Maybe you can send me a message?!!?
    sorry about that! I always forget to do that. Anyway I cleared it out and it should be working now. Thanks!

Hey Kenneth, we share an affection for the salsoul Christmas jollies.
    That was a fun holiday season , '76 to be clubbing and bar hopping with that being played as part of the night's line up. I had a campus radio show at the time, you can guess what kind of music I formatted exclusively, and I would use the silent night cut off that LP as my end of show sign off each time. Very lovely version....

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Hey Kenneth, we share an affection for the salsoul Christmas jollies.
    That was a fun holiday season , '76 to be clubbing and bar hopping with that being played as part of the night's line up. I had a campus radio show at the time, you can guess what kind of music I formatted exclusively, and I would use the silent night cut off that LP as my end of show sign off each time. Very lovely version....
    I think I like volume 2 even better than volume 1. I love the medley that includes the disco nutcracker suite. It’s really fabulous. I suppose to many it sounds like an abomination but it’s so much fun to play and listen to!

I think I like volume 2 even better than volume 1. I love the medley that includes the disco nutcracker suite. It’s really fabulous. I suppose to many it sounds like an abomination but it’s so much fun to play and listen to!

fun is what its about !!!

That second jollies release by The Salsoul Orchestra came out five years later as you likely know , the first being a Philly project under Vince Montana and the second out of NYC under Patrick Adams. I believe there's absolutely no overlap in the players ....

What's especially weird is that Patrick Adams was a pioneer in synthesizer disco , yet there's nary a one on here.....but then again I guess it wouldn't then be a project by the Salsoul ORCHESTRA ...lol!
    To be full-on orchestra disco in 1981..... very unlikely proposition .... I'm going to listen to it ...it's been years ...won't wait til Christmas......

Funny they used the same gal for the second release's cover, I believe that's Vince Montana's daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I agree totally. I also bought most of Bens bootlegs. I also have so many copies of the Funny Girl bootleg from years past. But Bens was really nice. But It didn’t stop me from the download or the official release which I bought too. Some of Bens bootlegs have never been officially released. I don’t believe in my lifetime they will ever be officially released. So I treasure Diana Ross live at the Coconut Grove and others that I would probably never had the opportunity to hear.
    Lucky You vgalindo ! Although there are some tracks available here and there on the net, I'll die to listen to the entire Coconut Grove Show... If I had known about these bootlegs, I would surely have bought them...