[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicGuy34 View Post
    I'm new to the forum [[long time looker, first time poster haha). I became a fan of Diana's in 2000 when VH1 was doing Diva's Live. I was around 13ish at the time and loved the previous Diva's shows-when I saw they were doing a whole special dedicated to Diana, I was intrigued. I kept watching any and all the clips they showed of her, music videos, segments on Supremes, etc and was loving everything.

I kept seeing clips of what was the "Take Me Higher" video and I asked my mom to take me to the music shop near where we lived and they had the Take Me Higher album along with Everyday Is a New Day. For me, I started my love of Diana's music with those 2 albums and then worked backwards and learned about "Ain't No Moutain...", "Theme From Mahogany," "The Boss," "I'm Coming Out," etc. They're still my favorite to this day because of the association and memories I have connected.

I think "Take Me Higher" is just a really great, solid album with lots of potential that was definitely overlooked. With the right promotion, I think she could of had some great chart success. "I Never Loved a Man Before" and "I Thought That We Were Still In Love" are 2 of her most beautiful songs in her catalog. I was just listening to the Japanese release the other day and it's interesting how they omit "Let Somebody Know" which was definitely a song that fit Diana perfectly and added in "Swing It." "Swing It" is unique and while I think the lyrics don't fit her at times [["...Cause I'm the 'roni that'll give you what you need"), it still has a great R&B vibe that could have seen potential airplay. "I Will Survive" seemed like the odd song out. I enjoy it live, but I'm not a fan of her closing each show with it still to this day. "Gone" is my favorite track from the album-her voice, her emotion fit the music perfectly and I love the black and white video released with it. I think there were a lot of opportunities to propel her back onto the charts, but Motown just didn't want to give it the attention it needed and deserved. Going through and looking back at clips, she was all over promoting it, so the failure of it not being a success rests more on Motown then Diana's.
    Interesting observations from a younger person's viewpoint.
    Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will make some new friends on here. All the best to you and yours.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicGuy34 View Post
    I'm new to the forum [[long time looker, first time poster haha). I became a fan of Diana's in 2000 when VH1 was doing Diva's Live. I was around 13ish at the time and loved the previous Diva's shows-when I saw they were doing a whole special dedicated to Diana, I was intrigued. I kept watching any and all the clips they showed of her, music videos, segments on Supremes, etc and was loving everything.

I kept seeing clips of what was the "Take Me Higher" video and I asked my mom to take me to the music shop near where we lived and they had the Take Me Higher album along with Everyday Is a New Day. For me, I started my love of Diana's music with those 2 albums and then worked backwards and learned about "Ain't No Moutain...", "Theme From Mahogany," "The Boss," "I'm Coming Out," etc. They're still my favorite to this day because of the association and memories I have connected.

I think "Take Me Higher" is just a really great, solid album with lots of potential that was definitely overlooked. With the right promotion, I think she could of had some great chart success. "I Never Loved a Man Before" and "I Thought That We Were Still In Love" are 2 of her most beautiful songs in her catalog. I was just listening to the Japanese release the other day and it's interesting how they omit "Let Somebody Know" which was definitely a song that fit Diana perfectly and added in "Swing It." "Swing It" is unique and while I think the lyrics don't fit her at times [["...Cause I'm the 'roni that'll give you what you need"), it still has a great R&B vibe that could have seen potential airplay. "I Will Survive" seemed like the odd song out. I enjoy it live, but I'm not a fan of her closing each show with it still to this day. "Gone" is my favorite track from the album-her voice, her emotion fit the music perfectly and I love the black and white video released with it. I think there were a lot of opportunities to propel her back onto the charts, but Motown just didn't want to give it the attention it needed and deserved. Going through and looking back at clips, she was all over promoting it, so the failure of it not being a success rests more on Motown then Diana's.

I have a similar story. I became a fan in the late 90's [[1997) after watching the TMH video on a Soul/R&B program [[U.S. hits) on MTV Brazil [[it was the only time I saw it in rotation). It was the beginning of a long standing love affair! And almost a miracle because TMH wasn't usually played on MTV. I'm happy I catched on and it changed my life, because I became obsessed with her. I was already a big fan of other north american singers like Tina Turner, Janet and Madonna. I was barely a teenager.

TMH was not promoted here in the country, but Diana was known to be one of the biggest american icons. I thought the song was a big hit in U.S., and to my surprise I discovered it wasn't. I'm still surprised to this day.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 02-23-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes she did. She was resigned to the album flopping in the USA. She knew Motown were not in her corner but she was determined to put herself in the public eye by doing the late night talk shows despite being no fan of Jay Leno.
    As regards the UK she was open to hosting her own tv special. Talks were held with the BBC but an agreement could not be reached. She eventually did the Audience with Diana Ross for ITV whilst promoting Everyday is a new Day.
    She expected TMH to hit big in the UK, and i wanted to reissue the title track in a slightly remixed version to follow IWS but i was outvoted.
    I remain convinced to this very day that it could have rivalled FBTP had the promotion been handled better from the start.
    Thank you Bluebrock, it's always amazing to hear about your stories and background information.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    Thank you Bluebrock, it's always amazing to hear about your stories and background information.
    Thank you Nitro. I found your memories of being introduced to Ms Ross's music very interesting. I love hearing these stories from younger generations than my own. Ms Ross would also be very pleased to know she has a whole new generation of fans and admirers. Take care and stay safe.

Thank you Nitro. I found your memories of being introduced to Ms Ross's music very interesting. I love hearing these stories from younger generations than my own. Ms Ross would also be very pleased to know she has a whole new generation of fans and admirers. Take care and stay safe.

Take care and stay safe too, Bluebrock! And let's keep the conversation going.

I was looking at my old Billboard chart books and just looking at the years 1970-1985 on the pop chart only, Diana had 27 top 40 pop hits, roughly averaging 2 a year. In only 2 years, 1972 and 1978, did she not have a song in the top 40. 20 out of the 27 made the top 20 which is very significant as some have mentioned that she either hit No. 1 or missed completely which is not an accurate representation of how successful she was, again, on the pop chart. No other female was as successful as her with the exception of Donna Summer, maybe. I am putting her in comparison with the ladies of her era such as Patti, Dionne, Aretha, Tina, Cher, Streisand, Olivia Newton John, Linda Ronstadt and Bette Midler.

Tina Turner had 6 top 40 hits with Ike, the last being the #22 charting Nutbush City Limits in 1973 and did not reach the top 40 again until the #26 remake of Let's Stay Together in 1984. In effect she was a new artist.

As for Cher, It's a Man's World was a fantastic album. Believe is a great gimmick of a song but the album was awful and the subsequent singles couldn't even reach the top 40 and she has not been close to the top 40 since. Also the huge gaps in her charting from 1974, nothing until Take Me Home in 1979 then nothing until I Found Someone in 1988 then nothing from Save Up All Your Tears in 1991 to Believe in 1999 then nothing since.

Patti Labelle - Lady Marmalade #1 in 1975 and nothing until New Attitude #17 in 1985 then On My Own and O, People in 1986 then nothing since.

As for hodge-podge of styles, Whitney's and Mariah's albums were hodge-podge of styles, multiple producers, etc. They were great albums because of the multiple hit singles not because of cohesive artistic statements. I would give that to the "lesser" singers like Janet and Madonna and Prince over Michael.

R&B had become way more producer oriented from the mid-80s on. I posit that if Workin' Overtime, as is, unchanged, had the name of Teddy Riley, LA Reid & Babyface or Jam & Lewis as the producer, it would have been a huge success, The Bottom Line is such a great track.

In the end, Diana was a huge success in spite of her record labels and her sometime questionable artistic choices. Imagine if she was with a label like Warner, Columbia or MCA.

Motown in the 70s, as has been documented by all of you here, made a mess of all her releases. I would also point out how they were a relative failure with all their female artists from the 70s Supremes, Thelma Houston, Tata Vega, Teena Marie, High Energy, Good Girls, 702, Vanity, Stacy Lattisaw, Shanice, India.arie, etc. They could not maintain or sustain success for any of them. Erykah Badu shifted over from Universal when Kedar Massenburg was name the head of Motown.

RCA was a disaster for not just Diana but established stars like Kenny Rogers and Barry Manilow. Kenny's first album there was his only success then pretty much downhill from there. Barry's first studio album there only reached 88 on the pop albums chart. He quickly shifted back to Arista. Swept Away would have been multi-platinum on any other label. I was loving Evelyn Champagne King's come back records like Love Come Down and I'm in Love and all of Melba Moore's EMI/Capital albums from 1981-1990. I would have loved to hear Diana paired with Kashif, Lillo Thomas, Leon Sylvers III, Freddie Jackson, etc. Bluebrock mentioned that Diana was to have recorded with Quincy, or re-teamed with Chic but RCA had to have product. So in effect, they cut their nose off to spite their face yet WDFFIL went platinum plus anyway. Patti Austin's [[my favorite Patti) Every Home Should Have One could have been Diana's? And Chic's Debby Harry's KooKoo was real good too. Could Definitely hear Diana singing Backfired or Now I Know You Know.

When Diana signed with MCA, I was so excited because of all the success they were having then my heart sank when she shifted to Motown. MCA was the label of Gladys, Patti, Jody Watley, Bobby Brown, Guy etc. They were the premier label charting on the R&B and pop charts. I always imagined Sheen Easton's 1988 MCA Debut The Lover in Me of Karyn White's self-titled 1989 album as being perfect for Diana as well. Motown was a disaster by then and were fortunate to have Boyz II Men.

Sorry for the very long post.
    Last edited by Deepdishus2001; 03-04-2021 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    When Diana signed with MCA, I was so excited because of all the success they were having then my heart sank when she shifted to Motown. MCA was the label of Gladys, Patti, Jody Watley, Bobby Brown, Guy etc. They were the premier label charting on the R&B and pop charts. I always imagined Sheen Easton's 1988 MCA Debut The Lover in Me of Karyn White's self-titled 1989 album as being perfect for Diana as well. Motown was a disaster by then and were fortunate to have Boyz II Men.

Sorry for the very long post.
    great point about MCA's strength at the time in the R&B field. Diana has already released If We Hold On Together on the label. i'm not sure who's idea it was to work with Niles Rodgers on WO. was it Diana that reached out to him or someone at the Motown label?

i'd be curious to know what producers MCA had either in-house or what arrangements they had that might have provided a different POV for her first album.

Billboard also named Diana as the #1 Hot 100 artist of both 1976 and 1981.

Was it just a case of Diana being passe by then but why did If We Hold On Together do so badly in the US? - it didn't even do very well on the AC chart.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Billboard also named Diana as the #1 Hot 100 artist of both 1976 and 1981.

Was it just a case of Diana being passe by then but why did If We Hold On Together do so badly in the US? - it didn't even do very well on the AC chart.
    i find the song a bit saccharine. it's too kiddie sing-along

I completely forgot to include Stephanie Mills in that group of artists. She like Patti got a second career wind with them. Putting a Rush on Me is one of my favorites by her.

I'm not in the music biz, just a tremendous fan of all types of music so I have no idea. LOL Remember that she got to put the Ross Records imprint along with the Motown label so I figured it was her decision. It's also in keeping with her pattern of being a few years too late. She should have worked with Nile in 1985-86 after the huge success of Like a Virgin.

I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another but someone asked if Voice of the Heart was a US single. It was as a double AA sided CD single with If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right [[the LP mix and the Crenshaw Records remix. It reached number 28 on the AC chart. I heard it a lot on the Lite-FM station in NY when it was released.

If We Hold on Together reached no. 23, When You Tell Me That You Love Me no. 26 and I've Got a Crush on You with Rod Stewart no. 19. Again, if Motown was any kind of competent label, the tracks all would have gone much higher. Same with If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right. If that was the first single, I'm sure it would have gone much higher on the R&B chart that no. 67.

this is where my unfamiliarity with the details of a working relationship within the label comes out

Diana specifically mentions that part of her rationale for leaving motown was that she wanted to do these things. she wanted to select musicians, plan the photo shoots, handle the album track sequencing, etc.

Would Diana not also have had involvement into the promotion and marketing of her material? If a label has budgeted $X to promote the release, wouldn't she have had visibility into that? was it an FYI only role or would she have been involved in finalizing the expenditures?

We talk about how motown was so F'd up with their handling of her material. like the totally haphazard and disorganized manner which it handled Force behind the power.

what role does an artist have in this? what about when that isn't just any random artist but someone like Diana?

The "Take Me Higher" album holds up well today.The songs were all well produced and Diana Ross' vocals are exquisite.

I absolutely love this song and it doesn’t matter if I don’t do well in the US Who cares it’s a timeless classic that will be loved forever and ever

By the time I love you was released Diana was beginning to gain renewed love and respect in the States. I think that was a major reason why such a mediocre album charted much higher than the far superior 90's albums.
    As you have previously stated Ms Ross was often her own worst enemy. Her temper tantrums and diva behaviour did her no favours whatsoever.
    Thankfully she is far more relaxed these days and has acknowledged past mistakes. I just wish i could transport her 2021 personality and swap it with her rather challenging early 80's personality.
    She is way more patient co-operative and kinder these days. Those qualities could have made such a difference back in the day.
    With age comes wisdom.....
    Can you tell us a bit more? Tantrums and diva behavior like throwing glasses at people in the studio, or showing up to the studio late? There was a special on television about Miss Ross' diva antics during the VH1 Diva's Live about Miss Ross wanting nobody being able to look her in the eye and all sorts of other crazy things. Was there any truth to any of that?

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    Can you tell us a bit more? Tantrums and diva behavior like throwing glasses at people in the studio, or showing up to the studio late? There was a special on television about Miss Ross' diva antics during the VH1 Diva's Live about Miss Ross wanting nobody being able to look her in the eye and all sorts of other crazy things. Was there any truth to any of that?
    I was at the Divas 2000 recording and there was no glass throwing and she was always on time. Never late which is more than i could say for others involved.
    It was a troubled production for sure with lots of stress and drama from many sources. She was not in a good place at the time and i do believe she should have dropped out of the event and focused on her own well being. This could have saved so much heartache and upheaval for herself in the following years.
    Mariah could have been the main focus, and the tribute to Diana could have been postponed to a future year. It was an impossible situation.

according to Randy's book, one of the big problems was the sound system that Diana requested. which was apparently plagued with problems. and when those problems arose, she was not pleased at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    according to Randy's book, one of the big problems was the sound system that Diana requested. which was apparently plagued with problems. and when those problems arose, she was not pleased at all.
    There were a few sound issues, but nothing too serious as i recall.

I was at the Divas 2000 recording and there was no glass throwing and she was always on time. Never late which is more than i could say for others involved.
    It was a troubled production for sure with lots of stress and drama from many sources. She was not in a good place at the time and i do believe she should have dropped out of the event and focused on her own well being. This could have saved so much heartache and upheaval for herself in the following years.
    Mariah could have been the main focus, and the tribute to Diana could have been postponed to a future year. It was an impossible situation.
    Was DR's stress related to the dissolution of her marriage? That's a lot for anyone to go thru. What were the other issues going on?

my only source of info is Randy's book which has quite a bit of interesting commentary on the whole event. of course i love hearing Blue's memories too.

Randy mentions that things started out with the Executives and marketing team showing Diana the proposed theming and media approach they were wanting to use. Apparently it was a "super hero" theme with the various participants represented by cartoon super hero images and how they're all setting aside their individual activities to join forces for 1 night.

apparently they were really excited about it and, as a general concept, it could be interesting. but clearly NO ONE did any research on the brand of "DIANA ROSS" or made any attempts to brief anyone on her staff. if any ideas or images could be FURTHER away from who and what DIANA ROSS is that comic book/cartoon super heroes, i can't think of any lol

and as the story goes she was NOT pleased. Randy says this early, initial meeting was indicative of things to come lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    I feel that her career in U.S. was almost eclipsed by the whole Supremes debacle after Mary Wilson's reductionist Dreamgirl and Randy's ill-intentioned Call Her Miss Ross. Both books made huge money for their authors with questionable intentions. And the money came from exploring and denigrating Diana's image. The inconsistency in terms of musical quality after she moved to RCA also didn't help but her public image suffered several setbacks.

During the 1990's, while she was doing so well in UK and Japan, among other territories, she was treated/viewed as some kinda of pariah in her own homeland. A very disturbing turn of events.

Then with the end of her marriage, the controversy surrounding RTL Tour and, subsequently and justifiably, her depression/addiction problems in the turn of the century, you could see that all the backlash took its toll on her. She felt unloved and rejected after decades of hard work and after having given so much to the public and the music industry. It was very disturbing and unfair. She wasn't guilty of her talent, ambition and x-factor. You have it or you don't. She had it and made good use of it.

But, fortunately, she bounced back with enormous integrity and dignity. And was finally recognized as the national treasure that she is, with the most valuable accolades as the Kennedy Center Honors, Grammy Lifetime Achievement and Presidential Medal of Freedom.

The fact is: there would be no Supremes, Michael, Madonna, Janet, Beyoncé and many others without Diana. She was the blueprint and the force behind it all. A true pioneer.
    or maybe Mary & Randy told the truth and the public no longer liked what they saw .....

my only source of info is Randy's book which has quite a bit of interesting commentary on the whole event. of course i love hearing Blue's memories too.

Randy mentions that things started out with the Executives and marketing team showing Diana the proposed theming and media approach they were wanting to use. Apparently it was a "super hero" theme with the various participants represented by cartoon super hero images and how they're all setting aside their individual activities to join forces for 1 night.

apparently they were really excited about it and, as a general concept, it could be interesting. but clearly NO ONE did any research on the brand of "DIANA ROSS" or made any attempts to brief anyone on her staff. if any ideas or images could be FURTHER away from who and what DIANA ROSS is that comic book/cartoon super heroes, i can't think of any lol

and as the story goes she was NOT pleased. Randy says this early, initial meeting was indicative of things to come lol
    They showed the comic-book idea on an episode of VH1 DIVAS LIVE: BEHIND THE SCENES or something like that. I will say that after seeing the intended commercial, I agree with Diana.

In Mariah Carey's autobiography released last year she spill's a little tea over diffusing a situation backstage with the production over some ugly green sequin dresses they wanted her and Diana to wear

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    In Mariah Carey's autobiography released last year she spill's a little tea over diffusing a situation backstage with the production over some ugly green sequin dresses they wanted her and Diana to wear
    and i heard there was drama about that segment overall because Donna was supposed to join as the 3rd singer so it would be a "trio" singing sup hits.

Frankly - why didn't they just include L and S more and that trio do this? then bring in each of the other women on specific songs to round it out?

I knew something was going on with Diana when I saw it on its original air date.. something was off about her that night..the somewhat ragged version of tmitm [[ "get the fringe Steve ! ")..I knew something was up but not what..the best thing about the whole presentation for me was all the montage footage from her career..for me the show was a big disappointment

I knew something was going on with Diana when I saw it on its original air date.. something was off about her that night..the somewhat ragged version of tmitm [[ "get the fringe Steve ! ")..I knew something was up but not what..the best thing about the whole presentation for me was all the montage footage from her career..for me the show was a big disappointment
    yeah i watched it on tv during the initial broadcast, with the VCR recording. I was SO disappointed in the show. I thought, vocally, she was really off her game. her voice simply sounded rougher and just not able to handle the vocals. i don't know that i've ever bothered to rewatch the tape i made.

and i heard there was drama about that segment overall because Donna was supposed to join as the 3rd singer so it would be a "trio" singing sup hits.

Frankly - why didn't they just include L and S more and that trio do this? then bring in each of the other women on specific songs to round it out?
    I believe there was also a problem because Donna wasn't comfortable wearing the minis that they were going to wear for the medley. I think Diana was actually wearing one of Mariah's dresses or vice versa. But Donna was bigger so it probably wouldn't have been flattering. But there is some brief footage of all three rehearsing.
    Last edited by reese; 06-09-2021 at 06:30 PM.

I watch it every now and then but IMO, it wasn't Diana at her best. It was a good thing that it didn't broadcast live as the previous DIVAS shows did.

I thought Donna Summer was the best thing of that Divas special. She was in excellent voice and did justice to Reflections. In hindsight, given what was going on in Diana Ross' life VH1 should have paid tribute to Donna that year.

Faith Hill was fine, if a bit out of place. All I remember about Mariah was her short skirt. She's never been much of a live performer IMO.

Diana Ross was a bit off, though I actually liked Touch Me in the Morning. Her phrasing on the lyrics really impressed me. I felt she had no connection with Scherrie and Lynda on the Supremes segment.

Destiny's Child was there that night. One of the few performances with Farrah Franklin, the short lived replacement member. I thought Kelly Rowland came off best on Upside Down. I think that group didn't really click until they became a trio.

AS for Take Me Higher album, if I can return to original topic, that's one of my least favorite albums. I liked the title song, but back then I felt the production was a bit dated. Though in 2021 that doesn't matter now. Same with Narada Michael Walden's production on I will survive.

With the exception of Brenda Russell's I Thought we were still in love, Gone, I will survive and the title track, I thought the songs were not top drawer material. I thought the album was a step down from Force Behind the Power and Stolen Moments, both of which are packed with fine songs, especially Stolen Moments.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Was DR's stress related to the dissolution of her marriage? That's a lot for anyone to go thru. What were the other issues going on?
    It is not my place to discuss Ms Ross's personal conflicts in public. I prefer to focus on the music.

SpreadingLove, I am going to have to go off of topic once more, if you do not mind.

BlueBrock, can you tell us what Miss Ross was like during the Every Day Is A New Day album? I put that one back in my car just to reminisce a bit on that year. I love that album, like I do all of Miss Ross' albums. How was she during the creation and the promotion of that album? I love it so much and she sounds so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    AS for Take Me Higher album, if I can return to original topic, that's one of my least favorite albums. I liked the title song, but back then I felt the production was a bit dated. Though in 2021 that doesn't matter now. Same with Narada Michael Walden's production on I will survive.

With the exception of Brenda Russell's I Thought we were still in love, Gone, I will survive and the title track, I thought the songs were not top drawer material. I thought the album was a step down from Force Behind the Power and Stolen Moments, both of which are packed with fine songs, especially Stolen Moments.
    i remember being in college when this came out and i too thought it was a nice album but not special. i think it fit more in the AC category rather than the hot pop albums coming out at that time. it was just too bland compared to the more aggressive material from Janet, Madonna, rap and so many others at the time. I'd play some of the tracks for friends and they were usually like, "meh"

i remember being in college when this came out and i too thought it was a nice album but not special. i think it fit more in the AC category rather than the hot pop albums coming out at that time. it was just too bland compared to the more aggressive material from Janet, Madonna, rap and so many others at the time. I'd play some of the tracks for friends and they were usually like, "meh"
    I was working in a CD shop in London when it had been released I got a big " meh " from one co worker when I played it in store and yet a customer asked who it was and bought a copy there and then on the strength of hearing " never loved a man before "..

I was working in a CD shop in London when it had been released I got a big " meh " from one co worker when I played it in store and yet a customer asked who it was and bought a copy there and then on the strength of hearing " never loved a man before "..
    there were some definite moments but the title track was the Meh. and Survive was ok but Gloria Gaynor had recently released a remix dance version of her original PLUS disco was hot again so everyone simply played the original. why bother with a cover when the original is perfection? i get it that Diana loves the song. but frankly redoing it is like trying to redo the Wizard of Oz or Sound Of Music. those are perfect movies as is, and a remake would be highly derided.

there were some definite moments but the title track was the Meh. and Survive was ok but Gloria Gaynor had recently released a remix dance version of her original PLUS disco was hot again so everyone simply played the original. why bother with a cover when the original is perfection? i get it that Diana loves the song. but frankly redoing it is like trying to redo the Wizard of Oz or Sound Of Music. those are perfect movies as is, and a remake would be highly derided.
    See sup I'm the total opposite - I love the title track and survive leaves me cold...

Take Me Higher is one of my favorite songs of hers, if I'm being honest. It's a song I listen to when I want to raise my vibration . It is very hard for me to be down while that song is playing.

“Take Me Higher” is a joyous, infectious feel good song that still sounds great today. I was gutted that it never really took off here in the UK.
    Diana’s “I Will Survive” has to be my favourite version of the song. It did quite well in the UK reaching 14 pop.
    Having said that, i am utterly mortified she continues to perform “IWS” in concert. Had she originated the song it might possibly be different. Last time i saw her we left just as the song was starting. I remember i tripped in my haste to vacate the arena. Enough is Enough after all.
    I will, you will, we will........Aghhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    “Take Me Higher” is a joyous, infectious feel good song that still sounds great today. I was gutted that it never really took off here in the UK.
    Diana’s “I Will Survive” has to be my favourite version of the song. It did quite well in the UK reaching 14 pop.
    Having said that, i am utterly mortified she continues to perform “IWS” in concert. Had she originated the song it might possibly be different. Last time i saw her we left just as the song was starting. I remember i tripped in my haste to vacate the arena. Enough is Enough after all.
    Ollie !! Leaving with miss Ross on stage..you know your only allowed to do that in a rain storm ! The sacrilege ! Lol

Ollie !! Leaving with miss Ross on stage..you know your only allowed to do that in a rain storm ! The sacrilege ! Lol
    LOL. I know nomis and i hang my head in shame. Had it been any as in ANY ​other song the thought would never have crossed my mind. We all have our limits.

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    SpreadingLove, I am going to have to go off of topic once more, if you do not mind.

BlueBrock, can you tell us what Miss Ross was like during the Every Day Is A New Day album? I put that one back in my car just to reminisce a bit on that year. I love that album, like I do all of Miss Ross' albums. How was she during the creation and the promotion of that album? I love it so much and she sounds so good.
    She was not in a good place around the time of ediand. She was in great shape vocally, but she did not have the faith in that album that she had with Force and Take me higher.
    She even refused to promote a proposed 2nd single in the UK due to her personal situation so we ceased all promotion for it.
    A real lost opportunity.

I feel your pain Ollie, but imagine having to listen to it night after night on tour. I hated it from the start and did all in my power to prevent it from being a single, but she put her foot down [[well both feet actually) and had a diva tantrum when she heard i preferred If your not gonna love me right. I was unavailable for some of the time due to a personal tragedy, and EMI messed up badly with the choices of singles. I would have done it differently, but Diana Ross's singles were the last things on my mind around this time.

This is absolutely one of the best albums that Diana Ross has recorded the whole album is full of great songs her voice that is recognized around the world is there she makes you feel the song and It took us higher and higher hopefully her new album will be of similar qualities

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    This is absolutely one of the best albums that Diana Ross has recorded the whole album is full of great songs her voice that is recognized around the world is there she makes you feel the song and It took us higher and higher hopefully her new album will be of similar qualities
    Totally agree. It only just misses out on a top 5 place in my favourite Ms Ross albums.

I feel your pain Ollie, but imagine having to listen to it night after night on tour. I hated it from the start and did all in my power to prevent it from being a single, but she put her foot down [[well both feet actually) and had a diva tantrum when she heard i preferred If your not gonna love me right. I was unavailable for some of the time due to a personal tragedy, and EMI messed up badly with the choices of singles. I would have done it differently, but Diana Ross's singles were the last things on my mind around this time.
    I actually really like Diana’s version of “IWS”, but never dreamed she would be singing it at the end of every concert for the next 26 years.
    Its unjust this was the only hit from an album which many still consider to be one of her best.

Like everyone else. I’m so tired of Diana Ross singing “I will Survive” in her concerts. I never care to hear it again. But after saying that. I do prefer her version over the Gloria Gaynor. I never cared for the original.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Like everyone else. I’m so tired of Diana Ross singing “I will Survive” in her concerts. I never care to hear it again. But after saying that. I do prefer her version over the Gloria Gaynor. I never cared for the original.
    I Will Survive in concert is such a curiosity for me. I’ve seen Diana close more than 25 shows with the song. I never look forward to it, but am always swept away by the audience response. After Mountain, the crowd is begging for more and IWS raises that energy level higher with band solos, solos from Diana’s background singers, etc. I chuckle to myself realizing many in the audience believe this was one of Diana’s seventies hits. It’s a wonderful closing number for the crowd even if it’s not my personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I gasp, drop to my knees, say Kaddish and a High Mass then complete with an ancient tea ceremony at your comment, sir, which SURELY is satire.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I was a huge Ross fan up to and including Eaten Alive...although, the first 3 RCA Lps were never in my collection.
    I managed to swoop up a few dozen used CD's when I purchased someone's record collection....TMH,WO, and ILY were included....sorry to say, there was nothing likable there for me
    Hello, the last Ross project I purchased was Surrender that I played to death and still do. Then for Xmas, my sis in law bought me FBP AND TMH and felt that the quality was better than much of her RCA output. I felt that Keep it Right There was fairly contemporary. I did like her version of Summertime. WO = Blah.

Hits be hanged. TMH is an album that still sounds fresh and relevant today. This being one of the reasons it remains a fan favourite here in 2021
    America was never going to bite no matter how delicious the cake. Diana should have focussed on promoting the album in Europe where her efforts were and still are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I gasp, drop to my knees, say Kaddish and a High Mass then complete with an ancient tea ceremony at your comment, sir, which SURELY is satire.
    Oh dear, yet another thread you disapprove of. It must be hard going at times.