[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The gowns

The gowns

Does anyone know who might now own The Supremes gowns? Mary
    certainly did a wonderful job of touring them and keeping the glamour
    out there for the fans. I remember her once saying she wanted to open
    a Supremes museum in Vegas. I'm so sorry she was not able to accomplish
    that in her lifetime. I feel lucky I saw them on tour.

I've wondered about the future of them as well.....Regardless, I just always hoped that with all the effort Mary put into locating missing ones and preserving the ones she had and of course sharing them with the world, that she had an inheritance plan in place for when "that" day came, which of course ended up being way too soon.
    Darin

What a great question. I can only hope she had good legal advice and had them in her will. These are now part of our cultural heritage. I hope she bequeathed them to an African American museum somewhere in or near Detroit. May a new generation of little black girls look up to Diana, Mary, and Florence.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    What a great question. I can only hope she had good legal advice and had them in her will. These are now part of our cultural heritage. I hope she bequeathed them to an African American museum somewhere in or near Detroit. May a new generation of little black girls look up to Diana, Mary, and Florence.
    I hope so to. I saw the gowns collection and the Grammys Museum in downtown LA and they were magnificent to see.

I've been thinking about the Supremes Gown collection too, Mary worked hard to collect, preserve and promote the history of the Supremes and the Motown legacy, hopefully they will find a new home at the extended Motown Museum when it's completed.
    So pleased that I got to see the exhibition when it came to Victoria & Albert museum in London in 2008

Turkessa I would assume. Although I'm sure she doesn't have much interest.

I'm certain Mary had legal counseling prior and will allow the gowns to continue to be displayed.

i hope too that Mary had outlined plans for things, such as the gowns and memorabilia, in her will and estate planning. it could be that maybe the Rock and Roll museum or the motown museum would be the future owners. they could work on a permanent collection and then see about continuing some of the touring work. or lending to other institutions, like the Smithsonian, African American Museum, Hard Rock, etc.