[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson - Memories from 1995

Memories of Mary Wilson
    March 1995
    RSVP 10th Anniversary Gay Cruise

Although I had been a fan since 1964 the first time, I saw Mary perform was in March 1995 with my partner Doug. Mary also had a question and answer session in the afternoon, followed by book signings and then the show that evening.

Although she signed both copies of her books for me previously, I still got in line with Doug to say hello. We chatted a bit but then I moved on. I told Mary that Doug and I fell in love to “One Night with You.” Doug moved away and when the line ended, he went back to talk with her. She encouraged him to ask questions as he can be shy. They talked for half and hour and I’ll put some tidbits here that Doug wrote down [[thankfully).the Ed Sullivan Show as well as many others. She said when they and the Andrews Sisters appeared on the Sammy Davis TV Show that all had a great time and there was a lot of affection between the two groups.

Mary’s sense of humor…
    We met a fellow [[Nate) on board and he was short the cash, so I lent him the money to buy her Dreamgirl book. Below is their interchange.

NATE: Miss Mary, I had to work this boat to get this money honey! You don’t know what I had to do. He lays the twenty-dollar bill on the table.

MW: Ooh, chile, can I touch it?

NATE: Uh huh, girl, cause I’m a teacher and it’s earned.

MW: You sure earned it fast!

The Show…
    Although it was not a “formal” night we dressed up in black tuxedos. She was fantastic that night and was celebrating her 51st birthday that took place a few weeks before the cruise. During the show she said she wanted to sing “One Night with You” for two fans in the audience and sang it with chills running down my spine. A bit later she was singing “Good Lovin’” and came into the audience. As she came by our aisle, she motioned for me to come dance with her. Great fun. I’ve told many friends that afterwards I put my arm around her waist and drew her in for a hug. She was wearing the most fragrant perfume I ever smelled. It was a great moment.

Well, back up on stage a bit later she called out for those who wanted to come be her back-up singers for a Supremes medley. God, I wanted to go up there but honestly felt I had my “time” with her and there were many others besides me. However, Doug being shy he was hesitant to go up, but I encouraged him. So, up he went with two other fellows. They ALL were great together and had the moves down pretty good; however, Doug was in “supreme form.” And, he has a beautiful singing voice. Mary noticed and moved over toward him with her “mike” in hand to capture his singing. Wow! The did Stop, In the Name of Love, Come See About Me and You Keep Me Hanging on. When this portion was finished, she went over to Doug and invited him to her dressing room after the show.

Well, I went too! Nell Carter, who had performed the night before, was with Mary and Nell said “Mr. Tux is here Mary. He had those shoulder movements down” to which Mary replied, “He did, I was watching.” Doug told Mary here’s Jim, my partner. He taught me all the moves! LOL

Mary’s background singers were Parnell and Iris.

In closing I’ll say that Doug and I had the great fortune to be on the stage with Mary three more times over the years!

Now for the pictures!

Name:  Mary Wilson #1.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  85.4 KB
    Name:  Mary Wilson -Jim-Doug in Tuxes.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  56.5 KB
    Name:  Mary Wilson #2.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  85.3 KB
    Name:  Mary Wilson #3.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  79.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    Memories of Mary Wilson
    March 1995
    RSVP 10th Anniversary Gay Cruise

Although I had been a fan since 1964 the first time, I saw Mary perform was in March 1995 with my partner Doug. Mary also had a question and answer session in the afternoon, followed by book signings and then the show that evening.

Although she signed both copies of her books for me previously, I still got in line with Doug to say hello. We chatted a bit but then I moved on. I told Mary that Doug and I fell in love to “One Night with You.” Doug moved away and when the line ended, he went back to talk with her. She encouraged him to ask questions as he can be shy. They talked for half and hour and I’ll put some tidbits here that Doug wrote down [[thankfully).the Ed Sullivan Show as well as many others. She said when they and the Andrews Sisters appeared on the Sammy Davis TV Show that all had a great time and there was a lot of affection between the two groups.

Mary’s sense of humor…
    We met a fellow [[Nate) on board and he was short the cash, so I lent him the money to buy her Dreamgirl book. Below is their interchange.

NATE: Miss Mary, I had to work this boat to get this money honey! You don’t know what I had to do. He lays the twenty-dollar bill on the table.

MW: Ooh, chile, can I touch it?

NATE: Uh huh, girl, cause I’m a teacher and it’s earned.

MW: You sure earned it fast!

The Show…
    Although it was not a “formal” night we dressed up in black tuxedos. She was fantastic that night and was celebrating her 51st birthday that took place a few weeks before the cruise. During the show she said she wanted to sing “One Night with You” for two fans in the audience and sang it with chills running down my spine. A bit later she was singing “Good Lovin’” and came into the audience. As she came by our aisle, she motioned for me to come dance with her. Great fun. I’ve told many friends that afterwards I put my arm around her waist and drew her in for a hug. She was wearing the most fragrant perfume I ever smelled. It was a great moment.

Well, back up on stage a bit later she called out for those who wanted to come be her back-up singers for a Supremes medley. God, I wanted to go up there but honestly felt I had my “time” with her and there were many others besides me. However, Doug being shy he was hesitant to go up, but I encouraged him. So, up he went with two other fellows. They ALL were great together and had the moves down pretty good; however, Doug was in “supreme form.” And, he has a beautiful singing voice. Mary noticed and moved over toward him with her “mike” in hand to capture his singing. Wow! The did Stop, In the Name of Love, Come See About Me and You Keep Me Hanging on. When this portion was finished, she went over to Doug and invited him to her dressing room after the show.

Well, I went too! Nell Carter, who had performed the night before, was with Mary and Nell said “Mr. Tux is here Mary. He had those shoulder movements down” to which Mary replied, “He did, I was watching.” Doug told Mary here’s Jim, my partner. He taught me all the moves! LOL

Mary’s background singers were Parnell and Iris.

In closing I’ll say that Doug and I had the great fortune to be on the stage with Mary three more times over the years!

Now for the pictures!

Name:  Mary Wilson #1.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  85.4 KB
    Name:  Mary Wilson -Jim-Doug in Tuxes.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  56.5 KB
    Name:  Mary Wilson #2.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  85.3 KB
    Name:  Mary Wilson #3.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  79.8 KB
    Sounds like a graet cruise and a great time with Mary. Thanks for sharing. xx

Wonderful, amazing memories!!! Thankyou.