[REMOVE ADS]

Artists Pay for Streaming

I heard on CBC Radio recently that for every million streams, an artist gets paid $700.00; yes, seven hundred dollars. And the same report said Goggle made $30 Billion Dollars last year.

Helps understand why Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Stevie Nicks have sold their catalogs and also why Mary Wilson tried to fight for artists rights.

How much were artists being paid under the old system of the 60s, 70s and 80s, before streaming came into being?

Lesley Gore said that she only started receiving royalties from her Mercury records as the 1980s gave way to the 1990s.

I remember that line from Lesley Gore as well.

I think there was a time in the 80's and 90's where artists made a lot of money from sales. I think they did ok in the 70's and less so in the 60's. But in recent years, what they are making is pretty skinny.

More than ever, they rely on concerts and shows and touring and that's been gone for a year now.