[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Mary Wilson

Mary Wilson

There is a fairly unsettling report about Mary Wilson on Facebook by Lamont Dozier Jr. and then a thought it is a hoax

I’m not comfortable repeating it just yet

Anyone else see/hear?

There appear to be many Twitter posts now that she may have passed away this evening, suddenly

I guess it’s true - Berry Gordy has acknowledged it

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/uk.sport...065508593.html

I wish some of you were awake

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There is a fairly unsettling report about Mary Wilson on Facebook by Lamont Dozier Jr. and then a thought it is a hoax

I’m not comfortable repeating it just yet

Anyone else see/hear?
    I have received a couple of messages regarding this. I am hoping it is one of those nasty hoax stories, but i am currently awaiting confirmation one way or the other. Fingers crossed it is untrue.

There are now a significant number of news and Facebook reports - I fear it must be true

https://www.etonline.com/mary-wilson...-76-160286?amp

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There are now a significant number of news and Facebook reports - I fear it must be true

https://www.etonline.com/mary-wilson...-76-160286?amp
    I am also beginning to fear it is true. So many news outlets confirming it. Very sad news. I hope her transition was peaceful and painless if it is indeed true.

Some of these reports say she died in her sleep

I'm beyond shocked to hear this is true. I was just on the vimeo/phone with Mary a couple of days ago and she looked so fantastic. We were talking about her memories of being on the Murray The K show, her books, her new cd, her new book she was going to write, and she even sang a little of my favorite Supremes song, "Everything Is Good About You".

So alive - looked so amazing - we talked for almost two hours on this interview and her excitement of being 77 and the 60th for The Supremes. She was a very good friend and host for me in all my tv efforts over the years - this is so sad...there's no words.

https://theseconddisc.com/2021/02/09...son-1944-2021/
    In Memoriam: Mary Wilson [[1944-2021)

February 9, 2021 By Joe Marchese
    Mary Wilson…our world is empty without you.
    When Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, and Florence Ballard [[along with their friend Barbara Martin) first came to Motown, they were known as The Primettes. Before their first single’s release, they had been rechristened The Supremes. While there was initial skepticism of the name, any such doubts clearly dissipated when “Where Did Our Love Go” reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100 on August 22, 1964. It was the first of a staggering twelve No. 1s The Supremes would notch before the end of the 1960s. As the most successful American group of the decade – not to mention America’s most successful vocal group of all time – “The Supremes” was more than apt. Only one member of the group was there at the very beginning and there at the very end. Mary Wilson was a true American success story. Talented, tenacious, and beautiful, she exemplified African-American greatness. She and her fellow Supremes shattered every glass ceiling imaginable, making it possible for black artists to achieve universal success and paving the way for the superstar artists of today. Motown was The Sound of Young America, and Mary Wilson was one of its most vibrant and visible messengers.
    MARY’S MOTOWN SOLO ALBUM

In addition to being one of the familiar voices anchoring that instantly recognizable Supremes sound, Mary brought passion and vivacity to every endeavor: whether performing onstage to delighted audiences across the country and always taking the time to meet her fans, writing best-selling books [[including 2019’s Supreme Glamour), recording solo music, acting in musicals, mentoring young artists, engaging in philanthropy, championing artists’ rights, or gamely Dancing with the Stars on the ABC television show. A Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Vocal Group Hall of Fame inductee, Mary used her platform to better the lives of others while bringing joy with her timeless music.
    MARY WITH TSD’S RANDY AND JOE

On a personal note: it’s been one of the great honors and privileges of my life to have known Mary Wilson. When she had no obligation to do so, she kindly supported our Real Gone Music/Second Disc Records reissues of The Supremes’ Merry Christmas and Diana Ross and The Supremes’ “Sing and Perform ‘Funny Girl’,” even penning a new introduction for the latter release. Mary was down-to-earth, a wonderful storyteller, and a great lady with a tremendous spirit and a big heart. To watch her was to take in a lesson about stage presence – except she had the kind you couldn’t simply learn. Call it charisma, call it magnetism…Mary Wilson had it. You couldn’t take your eyes off her. To be around her was to feel connected to history – not just history she witnessed, but history she created. Yet she remained very much in the moment, looking forward to the next project and to sharing her enthusiasm with her cherished family and friends. She endured numerous obstacles and hardships throughout her life, but survived them with grace and strength.
    As long as there’s music, there will be “Stop! In the Name of Love” and “I Hear a Symphony” and “You Can’t Hurry Love.” Not to mention “I Keep It Hid” and “A Heart Like Mine” and “You Are the Heart of Me,” just some of the songs on which Mary stepped into the spotlight to sing lead vocals. Her voice was part of the soundtrack of our lives – so inviting, so exciting. Happily, it will go on and on and on. C’mon, sing along – just a baby, baby or two. We love you, Mary.
    Tweet

Mary Wilson RIP God bless her 🥰✝️🙏🏻❤

http://greginhollywood.com/mary-wils...d-at-76-200793

Mary Wilson, founding member of The Supremes with Diana Ross and Flo Ballard, has died at 76

By Greg Hernandez on Feb 8, 2021 11:18 pm

Absolutely in shock over this and very sad.
    Mary Wilson, an original member of The Supremes alongside Diana Ross and Florence Ballard, has died at age 76 at her home in Henderson, Nevada.
    Wilson’s longtime publicist, Jay Schwartz, reported that she died suddenly. The circumstances of her death were not immediately revealed. Funeral services will be private because of COVID, he said, but there will be a public memorial later this year.
    She was still a girl when she formed a singing group with some girls in her Detroit neighborhood including Ross andBallard. Originally a quartet named The Primettes, the group later became a trio named The Supremes and are still the most successful girl group of all time.
    They ruled the charts through much of the 1960s with such hits as Where Did Our Love Go, You Can’t Hurry Love, Reflections, Baby Love, I Hear a Symphony, Love Child and Someday We’ll Be Together, among many others.
    Ross left the group in 1970 but Wilson and Birdsong – who replaced Ballard in 1967 – remained with a new lead singer named Jean Terrell. The 1970s Supremes enjoyed such hits as Stoned Love, Floy Joy and Up the Ladder to the Roof.
    Several lead singers later, The Supremes finally disbanded in 1977 with Wilson the only member to have been a part of every incarnations.
    She also authored two best sellers about her years with the group: Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme and Supreme Faith.
    Since her days singing background with Ballard, Birdsong and others, Wilson’s confidence as a singer grew and she never stopped working as a solo act.
    Motown founder Barry Gordy said in a statement: “I was extremely shocked and saddened to hear of the passing of a major member of the Motown family, Mary Wilson of the Supreme. The Supremes were always known as the ‘sweethearts of Motown.’ Mary, along with Diana Ross and Florence Ballard, came to Motown in the early 1960s. After an unprecedented string of No. 1 hits, television and nightclub bookings, they opened doors for themselves, the other Motown acts, and many, many others. … I was always proud of Mary. She was quite a star in her own right and over the years continued to work hard to boost the legacy of the Supremes. Mary Wilson was extremely special to me. She was a trailblazer, a diva and will be deeply missed.
    Last edited by jack020; 02-09-2021 at 04:47 AM.

I've just heard about Mary's passing and I'm In Shock! Thanks for the Music & the Memories and Rest In Peace, Mary.

R.I.P. Mary Wilson, this was the first song I thought of when I heard the sad news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFS96o1unt4

Lord, have mercy. I am numb.

Mary, Mary, Mary. What an absolute shock. Prayers going up for her family and all former Supremes. Rest in power.

What a shock! I’m just stunned. May She Rest In Peace.

Wikipedia's entry today stated...

' Wilson died in her sleep on February 8, 2021 in Las Vegas at the age of 76.Two days before her death, she had announced on Youtube that she was planning to release new solo material with Universal Music Group, and hoped it would come out before March 6, her birthday. Motown founder Berry Gordy said he was "extremely shocked and saddened" by the news of her death and said Wilson was "quite a star in her own right and over the years continued to work hard to boost the legacy of the Supremes." '

Grape

This is shocking and sad. My condolences go out to her family, friends and fans. Thank you for the music and your spirit. Rest in peace dream girl.

I woke up to this news. Even though you know this day is coming it doesn't make it any easier. The Supremes are now history and Mary helped make them iconic.

We all know that our long time member MARV2 is giving her the biggest hug right now

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    We all know that our long time member MARV2 is giving her the biggest hug right now

edafan
    that’s a nice thought and beautifully expressed.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I woke up to this news. Even though you know this day is coming it doesn't make it any easier. The Supremes are now history and Mary helped make them iconic.
    I didn't know it was coming. It was entirely plausible that she would have outlived me. I am shocked.

Thank you for the music and the stories. It’s always sad to lose an icon, but to go without warning is the worst [[regardless of who it is).

This news has devastated me. The Supremes are probably my number one favourite Motown group. Rest in Peace, Ms. Wilson. Thank you for the music you and all your Motown sisters brought to the world. The utter joy will never leave me.

DJ Moch

Probably my most favourite Mary-led Supremes track. RIP lovely lady.

RIP Mary Wilson...

I found out about Mary's passing via Susaye Greene's Instagram shortly after I woke this morning. I'm trying to wrap my head around how unexpected her passing is, and how close to the anniversary of Florence Ballard's passing. I only saw Mary in concert once in 2003, and it's still one of my favorite concerts of all time. I've made a Spotify playlist celebrating Mary's music for anyone interested.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6j...SqWHQEYtuuV_2g

I actually just had that thought, a couple weeks short of the day, 45 years ago, that Florence left this earth.

Mary apparently was not feeling well last Thursday :-[[

The legacy left behind by music pioneer Mary Wilson - YouTube

Of all the Motown ladies, Mary Wilson was the only one I had a crush on, beautiful, sexy, sassy is how I always saw her and I've always thought that she could've been a great Jazz singer...rest in peace sweet Mary.

Rest in Peace Mary. Thank you for the music.

Sadder than Sad. RIP Sweet Mary. Thanks for the music & memories. Give Flo & Tammi a hug for me

Rest in Peace, beautiful Mary Wilson, you will always be SUPREME , not only as a Great entertainer but a GREAT human.