[REMOVE ADS]

Diana sings Josephine Baker Album

I thought a Diana album/project of Josephine Baker songs would be great, possible tracks could include a studio recording of "Aux Lles Hawaii" [[which she performed live on "Evening With Diana Ross"...Josephine does a great french version of "Ive Got You Under My Skin" [["Vous Faites Partie De Moi") the album could also include " Feelin Like A Million" and "Man On The Moon"

Diana felt an affinity to Baker and had wanted to star in a film of her life what would make an album of Baker covers interesting is that its a genre and style of music not often released by a mainstream artist i think a half french/english album could generate a new interest in this Jazz/Vaudeville history

That day has come and gone decades ago. What record buying audience she has left does not want a theme album of Baker songs, IMHO.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-07-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    That day has come and gone decades ago. What record buying audience she has left does not want a theme album of Baker songs, IMHO.
    thats the point..something no one else is doing.. Renee Zellweger's portrayal of Judy Garland on film last year introduced a whole new generation to Garlands style of early 20th century song vaudeville genre..Diana could something like narrate a new documentary on Baker for the project...

Diana could still play her in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    yes she definitely could

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    thats the point..something no one else is doing.. Renee Zellweger's portrayal of Judy Garland on film last year introduced a whole new generation to Garlands style of early 20th century song vaudeville genre..Diana could something like narrate a new documentary on Baker for the project...
    You are right, but that album was supported by a huge award winning movie.

Would love to see Ross in a Baker film. Baker died at 68 years old. Ross will soon be 77 and at least 80 when the film would be finished shooting. Is she too old to play a much younger role?
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-07-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Bette Midler has released several tribute albums to ladies from days gone by such as "Sings The Rosemary Clooney Songbook" & "Sings The Peggy Lee Songbook"

I like the idea of this album, which would have supported the movie.
    My knowledge of Jospehine Baker's recording material is virtually nil so I cannot suggest any tracks, but Diana is very much suited to this style of work

I agree. Maybe it could be a Miss Jane Pittman style bio, with the older Josephine recalling events from her career. Diana is up in age but she still looks fantastic.

I'm unfamiliar with Josephine's work, to be honest, so I can't speak to if this type of album would work for Diana now, artistically. I'm not as worried about commercial appeal for her at this point. She's past the point of having to worry about having a hit song or hit album on her hands. I would think any albums at this point would be purely for artistic purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    It didn't go over real well in the disco era , although I very much liked it :

especially this cut prominently featuring the Village People:

Diana has outlived Josephine [[who didn’t even make 70 years of age), so she has technically aged out of any possible biopic [[though she absolutely could pull it off).

As far as a tribute album is concerned, however, I think it’s a capital suggestion. I wouldn’t envision it in the same vein as Phylicia’s disco-oriented Jacques Morali-produced project, but as a songbook volume by a seasoned legend as others here have suggested. It could contain nods towards Baker’s Tin Pan Alley/Jazz Age beginnings with tracks such as “Blue Skies,”“Hello, Bluebird” and “After I Say I’m Sorry.” Then a shift to Josephine’s halcyon days as an international film and dancehall sensation with “J’ai deux amours,” “Rêves,” and “C’est lui.” Baker’s music-hall grande dame period could be represented by “Paris mes amours,” “J’attendrai” and “Don’t Touch My Tomatoes.” Finally, her swan song/final comeback years could be represented “The Times They Are a-Changin’,” “Sonny Boy” and her Rainbow Tribe anthem, “Dans mon village.” On paper, it would serve as a fabulous feather in Diana’s cap and something of a fulfillment of her decades-long passion for La Baker. We can dream, can’t we?

ETA: And aside from “Aux îles Hawaii” and “I’ve Got You Under My Skin,” Diana’s and Josephine’s repertoires also have in common “Always,” “Dinah,” “People,” and “Stormy Weather.”
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-08-2021 at 07:51 PM.

No disrespect to Josephine, but I thought she was much older than she apparently was. Diana could easily play her.

No disrespect to Josephine, but I thought she was much older than she apparently was. Diana could easily play her.
    I know what you mean. With all due respect to Jo, the years have been far kinder to Diana now than to Joséphine at 68.
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-08-2021 at 07:38 PM.