[REMOVE ADS]

Jim Weatherly, Pontotoc native and Hall of Fame songwriter, dies

TUPELO • Jim Weatherly was more than a songwriter to Gladys Knight. They were musical contemporaries who achieved success at the same time and whose careers paralleled each other.

Knight and her group, the Pips, rose to fame in the early 1970s by singing tunes written by Weatherly — especially the memorable “Midnight Train To Georgia.” She was among many who expressed her adoration for the Pontotoc native and celebrated songwriter, who passed away Wednesday.

“I’m missing Jim Weatherly already,” Knight wrote Thursday on Twitter. “He was about life and love. …. We were just made for each other. We grew our lives together. I’m gonna miss him terribly and love him always.”

https://www.djournal.com/lifestyle/j...4dd6013ce.html

The best, and still my favorite, is Neither One of Us. It was a magnificent close to the Motown era. Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me is my favorite post-Motown Weatherly/Knight/Pips.

Sorry to hear about Jim Weatherly. The songs that he wrote For Gladys Knight & The Pips will keep his memory alive.

So sad to hearing of Jim Weatherly's passing. My condolences to his family and friends. Thanks for the wonderful and timeless music you created. RIP Jim!

Jim Weatherly had a hit record in 1974 with #11 Pop Hit "The Need To Be". Although Gladys Knight previously recorded it in 1974, what a surprise it was when Gladys sang it in the Tyler Perry movie "I Can Do Bad All By Myself". Here is an awesome version she did on the tv special for the movie:

Alongside the ones already mentioned, the Gladys-Weatherly moment that truly sends me is “Where Peaceful Waters Flow.” Rest in power.

I love Gladys's interpretations of Jim's work, they are probably the best and she did
    get Grammy's out of them but the history behind Midnight Train always fascinated me
    almost as much as her cover itself. It was first called Midnight Train To Houston and he
    recorded it as such. Cissy Houston was offered it but she couldn't get with the title so
    agreed she could change it to Georgia which she did. Gladys recorded it later and it blew up...Lucky girl, indeed....