[REMOVE ADS]

Now is the time for love - The Marvelettes 1969

I know this song contains the Group and The Andantes but Iwould like to know how they share the vocals in the song. It is right the Katherine and Ann only singing backround during the verse or in the Chorus with The Andantes together although?

Thank fo clryfing and a great thank you to the People wth te sophisticated ears ;-)

I actually was near tears the first time I heard this song on the “Forever More” box set. The story hit home to me personally. And yes, Kat and Ann are assisted by the Andantes on the chorus and they shadow Wanda on the verses.

Thank you so much jboy88 for clarifying and this personel Statement, for me it is an amazing song too, simply the cream of the crop

I hope I am not overstepping [[or getting out of my lane) by sharing the link to this beautiful production. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSZa5RrGcw0

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I hope I am not overstepping [[or getting out of my lane) by sharing the link to this beautiful production. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSZa5RrGcw0
    Well, of course you are welcome to share your link. And it’s great to point out a song that might’ve been overlooked in the past because it was buried on side two of an album. I posted a thread a while ago outlining one of my all-time favorite Marvelettes performances, “The Stranger,” another lost classic that deserved a better fate rather than being programmed near the dead wax at the end of an album.

Don’t ever hesitate to share your favorites. We’re all biased here! For example, by now everyone knows that Wanda is my favorite Motown singer!

And as far as your choice goes, I agree it is an absolutely beautiful song and a great performance by Wanda, who sounds so young and in love. In fact I think of three Marvelettes songs that all evoke the same kind of young love and optimism, “When You’re Young and in Love,” “This Night was Made for Love,” and “Now is the Time for Love” as kind of a “Young Love Trilogy.”
    Last edited by kenneth; 02-11-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Lovely song from The Marvs and Paul Petersen recorded it too.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Well, of course you are welcome to share your link. And it’s great to point out a song that might’ve been overlooked in the past because it was buried on side two of an album. I posted a thread a while ago outlining one of my all-time favorite Marvelettes performances, “The Stranger,” another lost classic that deserved a better fate rather than being programmed near the dead wax at the end of an album.

Don’t ever hesitate to share your favorites. We’re all biased here! For example, by now everyone knows that Wanda is my favorite Motown singer!

And as far as your choice goes, I agree it is an absolutely beautiful song and a great performance by Wanda, who sounds so young and in love. In fact I think of three Marvelettes songs that all evoke the same kind of young love and optimism, “When You’re Young and in Love,” “This Night was Made for Love,” and “Now is the Time for Love” as kind of a “Young Love Trilogy.”
    I agree Wanda is awesome! What is your top 10 favorite songs by her? Love to playlist of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    I agree Wanda is awesome! What is your top 10 favorite songs by her? Love to playlist of it!
    Hey, thanks for asking! These are amongst my favorites, though not in any particular order as such, just trying to go by approximate date of release:

You're My Remedy
    Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead
    Don't Mess With Bill
    The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game
    Destination: Anywhere
    The Stranger [[probably my very favorite, just love this dark, haunting track)
    Seeing is Believing
    That's How Heartaches are Made
    Marionette
    Someday We'll Be Together [[love the deconstructed arrangement on this one, and the unusual raucous vocal by Wanda)

I didn't realize till just now, compiling this list, that I think the single releases with Wanda on lead were very well thought out. Almost all of the above were released as singles, though several didn't chart. Still, I always thought Wanda evolved impressively as a vocalist over the years and reached her pinnacle with what should have been her solo debut, "The Return of the Marvelettes."

Luciano, how would my list compare to yours?

Thanks so much Kenneth. Making that playlist shortly to listen to. Love all those songs. I was surprised to see someone who likes her version of "Someday We'll Be Together". BTW I listen to "Seeing Is Believing" and "Sunshine Days" as one song. [[Don't ask why).

Geez, so many great songs so this could change tomorrow.
    - I'll Keep Holding On
    - Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead
    - The Hunger Gets Captured By The Game
    - My Baby Must Be A Magician
    - That's How Heartaches Are Made [[might be my favorite)
    - You're The One For Me Bobby [[Smokey just has a great way with words)
    - Destination: Anywhere
    - The Stranger [[totally agree with you - this a hit)
    - The Truth's Outside My Door
    - Forever

Damn that was so hard.

@Luciano,

I definitely should have included "Forever," one of Wanda's best early performances, and yes "I'll Keep Holding On" is also a great song with that amazing kind-of-menacing arrangement. Nobody ever had a more beautiful stalker than Wanda, I'm sure!

"Someday" and another track on the "Return" album, "Our Lips Just Seem to Rhyme Every Time," are both uncharacteristically exuberant vocals by Wanda, and I think a nice change of pace for her. On "Someday," I love the way they still included a male singer in the chorus who keeps shouting out "Oh yeah!" in contrast to Johnny Bristol on the Diane Ross vocal who is subtle though still effective in the background.

I see what you mean about "Seeing is Believing" and "Sunshine Days." They do segue beautifully and make a nice little suite.

Now I would like to give my vote for the Wanda tracks ;-)

Don´t mess with Bill
    The Hunte gets captured by the game
    I´ll Keep Holding on
    Danger heatbreak dead ahead
    Keep off no treaspassing [[I know is a front vocal duet by Gladys and Wanda)
    The stranger
    Now is the time for love [[I love the spoken words by Wanda in the song and the vocal Arrangement)
    Too many Tears, too many times [[the Arrangement is sophisticated an dark)
    I´ll be in trouble [[far away from The Temptations Version,it reminds me on a James Bond Movie Theme)
    A breath taking guy [[it has a Little of an end times mood and at the same time it is Refreshing)

I agree with all the above since of course ALL Marvelettes songs are amazing. To the list of Wanda vocals I would add You're the One and The Day You Take One [[You Have to Take the Other.)

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I agree with all the above since of course ALL Marvelettes songs are amazing. To the list of Wanda vocals I would add You're the One and The Day You Take One [[You Have to Take the Other.)
    Well I have forgotton "The day you take one"

Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    Well I have forgotton "The day you take one"
    I agree what a great song. Ironic lyrics by Smokey and a bluesy beat with Wanda at her understated, sexy best

I am nuts about Wanda's "Barefootin" and Glady's "Message to Michael" the pink LP was the first M's and only one I owned till the exc yellow Anthology...I always wanted the LIVE LP..got both that one and Mary Wells for a great price and later sold them for more $ when I had to downsize my collection...my intent was to get all the very early live LP's as a complete mini collection....space [[and later, FUNDS!) ran out on me.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I am nuts about Wanda's "Barefootin" and Glady's "Message to Michael" the pink LP was the first M's and only one I owned till the exc yellow Anthology...I always wanted the LIVE LP..got both that one and Mary Wells for a great price and later sold them for more $ when I had to downsize my collection...my intent was to get all the very early live LP's as a complete mini collection....space [[and later, FUNDS!) ran out on me.
    There was a "gray market" CD, perhaps from Marginal, called "Motown Live on Stage" or something like that, which included the 4 early live LPs [[Marvelettes, Gaye, Wells, and I think the Miracles. The Wonder which was better known as the "Fingertips" album was not on that issue, from my recollection). I never heard it so don't know of its quality, but Marginal releases were, to me at least, one time the only place you could find some of this material. I remember their "Detroit" series was a revelation to me when it came out because there were so many songs amongst the 8 [[?) volumes I never thought I'd ever hear. Of course, this was long before we had the benefit of the Hip-O Complete Singles sets.

There was also a great 2-CD expanded edition of the "Motortown Live on Stage Vols. 1 and 2" Lps, which included lots of material not on the original LPs. That was a legitimate release, I believe, and well worth searching for.

I'd love to have the earlier live LPs that we haven't seen reissued yet. Of course the Marvelettes' live album is on the first box set, "Forever." But as much as I love the Marvelettes, and even though Wanda is my favorite singer, some of that album gets a little tough going, especially when she goes into her unbridled falsetto in "Locking Up My Heart!"

There was a "gray market" CD, perhaps from Marginal, called "Motown Live on Stage" or something like that, which included the 4 early live LPs [[Marvelettes, Gaye, Wells, and I think the Miracles. The Wonder which was better known as the "Fingertips" album was not on that issue, from my recollection). I never heard it so don't know of its quality, but Marginal releases were, to me at least, one time the only place you could find some of this material. I remember their "Detroit" series was a revelation to me when it came out because there were so many songs amongst the 8 [[?) volumes I never thought I'd ever hear. Of course, this was long before we had the benefit of the Hip-O Complete Singles sets.

There was also a great 2-CD expanded edition of the "Motortown Live on Stage Vols. 1 and 2" Lps, which included lots of material not on the original LPs. That was a legitimate release, I believe, and well worth searching for.

I'd love to have the earlier live LPs that we haven't seen reissued yet. Of course the Marvelettes' live album is on the first box set, "Forever." But as much as I love the Marvelettes, and even though Wanda is my favorite singer, some of that album gets a little tough going, especially when she goes into her unbridled falsetto in "Locking Up My Heart!"
    Back in 1987, a bootleg label named Motorcity Records put out two cds called CAPTURED LIVE! One was a combo of the LIVE ON STAGE Marvelettes and Mary Wells albums with additional live performances from the Motortown Revue albums. The other was a combo of the LIVE ON STAGE albums by Marvin Gaye and the Miracles.

I'm not familiar with the 2-cd expanded edition you mentioned. It sounds well worth having. But Hip-O-Select did release a collection that included all four Motortown Revue Live albums but there were no unreleased performances included.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Back in 1987, a bootleg label named Motorcity Records put out two cds called CAPTURED LIVE! One was a combo of the LIVE ON STAGE Marvelettes and Mary Wells albums with additional live performances from the Motortown Revue albums. The other was a combo of the LIVE ON STAGE albums by Marvin Gaye and the Miracles.

I'm not familiar with the 2-cd expanded edition you mentioned. It sounds well worth having. But Hip-O-Select did release a collection that included all four Motortown Revue Live albums but there were no unreleased performances included.
    I think your memory is better than mine on the various artist collection[[s). Now I do recall the "Captured Live!" moniker.

My memory was faulty on the other set as well. It wasn't the Motortown Revue Live Vols. 1 and 2, it was the "Live in Paris." Still a great set.

https://www.amazon.com/Motortown-Revue-Paris-Super-Deluxe/dp/B0194C5DRY/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=motortown+revue+live &qid=1614099892&sr=8-10

Name:  Revue 1.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  Revue2.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  98.4 KB

I think your memory is better than mine on the various artist collection[[s). Now I do recall the "Captured Live!" moniker.

My memory was faulty on the other set as well. It wasn't the Motortown Revue Live Vols. 1 and 2, it was the "Live in Paris." Still a great set.

https://www.amazon.com/Motortown-Revue-Paris-Super-Deluxe/dp/B0194C5DRY/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=motortown+revue+live &qid=1614099892&sr=8-10

Name:  Revue 1.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  Revue2.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  98.4 KB
    Now I understand.

Yes, the expanded Paris set is one of the best reissues. Even the songs that have technical issues are still worth having.

Back in the early 80s, I discovered an 8-track of the Paris album at one of my local record shops. It cost $1.99 so I thought I had found the Holy Grail. :-)

I loved it on first listen but to accomodate the timing on 8-tracks, many of the tracks are edited. Some fade out early. They even used the Copa version of STOP! because it was shorter than the Paris version.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Now I understand.

Yes, the expanded Paris set is one of the best reissues. Even the songs that have technical issues are still worth having.

Back in the early 80s, I discovered an 8-track of the Paris album at one of my local record shops. It cost $1.99 so I thought I had found the Holy Grail. :-)

I loved it on first listen but to accomodate the timing on 8-tracks, many of the tracks are edited. Some fade out early. They even used the Copa version of STOP! because it was shorter than the Paris version.

Ah, yes, 8 Tracks, the Edsel of recorded music! And sometimes songs would be interrupted halfway through, would fade out and fade back in at the beginning of the next "program" I think they called the four different segments of the tape, forcing many songs to have a Part 1 and Part 2. And on shorter albums, sometimes songs would be repeated more than once to fill up one of the "programs" on the tape. I guess the thing about them that was supposed to make them irresistible was the convenience.

Careful, Reese, we're dating ourselves here!