[REMOVE ADS]

All of You: Music or Marketing

While searching for something else, I came across this picture of an article from a 1984 issue of Black Beat magazine, raising the question whether "All of You" was either "music" or "marketing," which in itself is a false juxtaposition. Most music, and particularly duets, are also marketing [[Endless Love was intended to start Lionel Richie's solo career). Obviously, including duets with US American stars [[not just Diana, also Willie Nelson) was a marketing ploy to help this usually in Spanish singing ex-football player to break into the English language pop market. Yet, at the same time, I understand the reasoning behind the article. "All of You" is a fine record, but really doesn't fit where Ross was at that moment [[on a personal note, when the song was released, my father loved it; I as a teenager found it boring, music for older people).

Name:  Dec-1984-Black-Beat-Magazine-Diana Ross Iglesias-_57.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  93.0 KB

I found All of You rather boring, too. Julio & Willie and To All the Girls I've Loved Before was interesting and different. I've wondered what would have been a similarly intriguing song and concept for Julio & Diana. [[Maybe Touch By Touch or Nobody Makes Me Crazy?!

boring song but a smart move by all parties due Diana brilliant c ross label marketing they sizzled on screen and in pictures Julio saw her inner pain with her mothers tragic illness and they had a holiday together as a dj his track "Moonlight Lady"goes down well at weddings

I bought the single of ALL OF YOU without ever hearing it and fell in love with it at first listen. I hoped it would be a big hit but wasn't too surprised that it stalled at #19. I think the constant rotation of the video certainly helped its chart run. But I don't find the song as exciting as say SWEPT AWAY or MISSING YOU.

I like "All of You". It is often heard at weddings as the first dance song of the new couple. I like the production. Ms.Ross' voice in this song is the range of production as Ms.Streisand. Yet, Ms. Ross' voice is more sensual.

I love it. One of these best at RCA

i think it's a good duet. not the best ever but solid. very of the time too, in terms of production.

if it hadn't been fighting on the charts with Swept Away, i think both would have charted higher

"All of you" is a song that brings together all the cliche of junk romance.
    Julio Iglesias and Diana seem to caricature themselves.
    Steve Perry's production brings together all the cliche
    of the 80s.
    The clip looks like a parody of the 80s.

Diana flies over this duet with an ease that is embarrassing for Julio. I have the impression that she succeeded what she couldn't do in her albums like "WDFFIL" and "Silk Electric" and later in "eaten alive".

Contrary to what I've written, I think that what she has done is pretty awesome in her genre. In the end, I prefer it to "Endless Love".

the late or mid 1986 first cd release of "Swept Away" didnt source a digital master of the track to transfer on the release from memory the audio is about nearly 10 % lower than the tracks prior and next its noticable with a very poor audio level of the strings this was common in this period in the explosion of digital discs Fleetwood Macs "Rumours" album caused a near riots the sound was sooo bad "Eaten Alive" has terrible audio mastering as well Tarobelli has written of the poor sound of these releases blaming her vocals its all just flat because in truth they were not digital mastered one thems the breaks

I hated Endless Love..except for Lionel & Diana's opening lines....I am, after all these years just coming to appreciate the full song...blame my hate on radio/bar jukebox overkill.

I loved ALL OF YOU from the start....his accent gives it true continental appeal.

It is a fact that Julio is one of the biggest selling worldwide vocalists...English seemed to be the hold out for him having huge earlier hits. In addition to his native Spanish, he has successfully released records in Portuguese, French, Italian and German....it's likely his worldwide sales crush Diana's.

I dont ever listen to "Endless Love" but i see its worldwide appeal it has an emotional quality in a sparse arrangement a classic Diana moment is her re-recording it for WDFIL to a casual buyer your thinking your getting the song and its a cheap knock off "All Of You" is more sensual apparently there was some management/label strife over its release i think its in Walter Y CBS head autobiography i cant recall the details Walter had pulled two coups on Gordy -signing Marvin from yrs in oblivion and reaping the rewards of Sexual Healing and signing the Jacksons and being able to deal with Micheals descent into madness..until David Geffen got Mjs ear..

The thought that Diana was doing Julio a favor by recording this duet is laughable. By the early 80's, he had recorded songs in the most languages in the world. He's since sold over 100 million records. If anything, it was a boost to her career, having not had a Top 20 hit for almost two years.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    The thought that Diana was doing Julio a favor by recording this duet is laughable. By the early 80's, he had recorded songs in the most languages in the world. He's since sold over 100 million records. If anything, it was a boost to her career, having not had a Top 20 hit for almost two years.
    Julio was an international superstar but not in America. This was his first USA album. He really was not known here in America. So actually Diana Ross was doing him the favor. She at this point was an international superstar. And he was also an international superstar except in America.

I would say both artists were each giving the other a helping hand.
    Nice enough song, that was was totally out of place on the “Swept Away” album.
    Despite plenty of radio airplay, it only managed pop 43 here in the UK.
    The best part of the song for me are Diana’s oohs and ahhs right at the very beginning. Classic Ross.

I have always loved this song; however, I am one who loves those big production sounds with lots of orchestration and even those 'to the edge' big arena sounds. I really didn't know much about Julio until hearing this duet with Diana, so for me, it was a plus for him to participate and widen his American appeal. Yes, I understand he was already an international star; however, as vgalindo stated, he could use more exposure in the United States.
    Unless my YouTube searches are not complete, I see that their video pairing is no longer available. I thought the video was a classic in its production. And of course, everyone dances around the pool like that, right? Or is it only me who participates this way? LOL

the video clip was excluded from the 1986 VHS compilation "Visions Of Diana" all videos from from signing the RCA deal she owns thru her anaid film umberella ..the video wasnt included in the "One Woman" 1993 vhs compilation yet it turns up in 6 track "Visions" dvd im assuming there was a clearance issue with CBS/Sony for the two VHS comiplations..

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    the video clip was excluded from the 1986 VHS compilation "Visions Of Diana" all videos from from signing the RCA deal she owns thru her anaid film umberella ..the video wasnt included in the "One Woman" 1993 vhs compilation yet it turns up in 6 track "Visions" dvd im assuming there was a clearance issue with CBS/Sony for the two VHS comiplations..
    It was included on the 1985 vhs THE VISIONS OF DIANA ROSS.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It was included on the 1985 vhs THE VISIONS OF DIANA ROSS.
    My father bought me VHS from the UK - "All Of You" isnt included on the tape

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    My father bought me VHS from the UK - "All Of You" isnt included on the tape
    They must have dropped it from the UK edition. I have the US version which includes it.

I've always been a fan of "All Of You". I used to hate "Endless Love". I found that one to be overplayed and frankly rather boring. But similar to Gman, I have come to like it in recent years. "All Of You" has that lush 80s ballad sound that I love so much. To my thinking the song is music and marketing. Clearly the two were paired up for success, but it's a damn good song for anyone with talent to be handed.

The US version of the Visions of Diana includes: Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Swept Away, All of You, Muscles, Pieces of Ice, and Missing You.
    The UK/European version replaces All of You, Pieces of Ice, and Missing You, with Chain Reaction, Eaten Alive, and Mirror, Mirror. [[And Ross suddenly had more hair).

Name:  Diana Visions EP.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  69.6 KB

Jaap that looks like someone took a marker to Diana's photo. Lol

"Swept Away" has great guitar licks. When this song came out, you had to rush to the dance floor!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    The US version of the Visions of Diana includes: Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Swept Away, All of You, Muscles, Pieces of Ice, and Missing You.
    The UK/European version replaces All of You, Pieces of Ice, and Missing You, with Chain Reaction, Eaten Alive, and Mirror, Mirror. [[And Ross suddenly had more hair).

Name:  Diana Visions EP.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  69.6 KB
    I had no idea the tracklists varied so much