[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Black Woodstock

Black Woodstock

I’d be interested in watching this
    ========================

NEW YORK [[AP) — Questlove responded with incredulous disbelief when he was first told about the footage.

A landmark 1969 Harlem concert series that he hadn’t heard of? With Stevie Wonder? With Nina Simone? With Sly and the Family Stone, B.B. King and the Staples Singers?

“I was like, ‘Yeah, right.’ I know everything that musically happened during that time period and I’ve never heard of this in my life. ‘Get out of here,’” Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson recalled in an interview. “Then they came back and showed me the footage and I was just jaw-dropped.”

That was the beginning of what would become “Summer of Soul [[...or When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised),” a concert-film time-capsule of a historic but largely forgotten festival. Known as “Black Woodstock,” the festival occurred during the same summer as Woodstock — and just 100 miles away — but received far less attention........

https://apnews.com/article/0b75d8c99...3cbdec70c492dd

Much worth watching; I believe there are at least clips on YouTube

Great news. Nina's set was the stuff of legend. Here's hoping Ahmir gets a great streaming deal for this.

I've always been a big fan of Questlove but I'm absolutely certain that due to his youth
    [[he's just 50, right?) there is probably a ton of footage he cut out that would appeal to quite a few folks a bit older than he. That said thankfully it saw daylight before it saw a landfill. I'd love to see it. I don't know about clips being on youtube. All I could find was
    Wattstax stuff...I own that stuff.....

Four songs from Nina's set was released in her dual disc collection THE SOUL OF NINA SIMONE.

A few songs from Gladys Knight and the Pips set have made their way to YouTube.

When Mavis Staples inducted Mahalia Jackson into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they showed a small bit of their duet. In her book, Mavis wrote that a fan gave her a copy years later.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I've always been a big fan of Questlove but I'm absolutely certain that due to his youth
    [[he's just 50, right?) there is probably a ton of footage he cut out that would appeal to quite a few folks a bit older than he. That said thankfully it saw daylight before it saw a landfill. I'd love to see it. I don't know about clips being on youtube. All I could find was
    Wattstax stuff...I own that stuff.....
    The article did say the first cut was over three hours

Directors cut dvd maybe?