[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1

    Bruce Channel..Call On Me..Acetate.

    On Youtube...unreleased acetate of the first recording of this H-D-H masterpiece...why was it not on the Unreleased series? ..and the guy who put this on Youtube has another acetate of Bruce performing another H-D-H track called "I Wanted To Cry" thats not been recorded by anyone else at Motown.

  2. #2
    I need to play my CDs more...I see that "I Wanted To Cry" was issued on the ACE/KENT CD a few years ago.

  3. #3
    I just love this forum...no comments on a unreleased Motown track yet if I had started a thread on my favourite Supremes gown or wig it would have gone through the roof..

  4. #4
    Sorry, Mowsville, that there wasn't any reaction. I did read your post the other day. I'm not saying that this is why you didn't get a response, but maybe if you included a link or the video in your post, it would've generated a response? I went and searched for the video and found it. I also searched for and found "I Wanted To Cry" and realized immediately that it had already been officially released by Ace...and then you posted that exact thing.

    As for Bruce Channel, in looking in my collection, it appears he didn't record more than 6 songs [[could it be a dozen if more is unreleased?) on December 4, 1963. I guess he didn't stay with Motown very long. I'm not sure Channel's sound was a great fit at Motown. I would suspect his signing was more about Motown trying to branch out than Channel wanting to adopt the Motown sound.

    Lastly, don't give too much isht to the forum about not getting a response. Some topics resonate with folks, some things don't. I appreciate your frustration, but don't let it get you down.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Sorry, Mowsville, that there wasn't any reaction. I did read your post the other day. I'm not saying that this is why you didn't get a response, but maybe if you included a link or the video in your post, it would've generated a response? I went and searched for the video and found it. I also searched for and found "I Wanted To Cry" and realized immediately that it had already been officially released by Ace...and then you posted that exact thing.

    As for Bruce Channel, in looking in my collection, it appears he didn't record more than 6 songs [[could it be a dozen if more is unreleased?) on December 4, 1963. I guess he didn't stay with Motown very long. I'm not sure Channel's sound was a great fit at Motown. I would suspect his signing was more about Motown trying to branch out than Channel wanting to adopt the Motown sound.

    Lastly, don't give too much isht to the forum about not getting a response. Some topics resonate with folks, some things don't. I appreciate your frustration, but don't let it get you down.
    Around a bakers dozen or so tracks that Bruce laid down at Hitsville including the very nice take on the Shorty - 4 Tops cut, Call On Me a much underrated HDH composition

  6. #6
    Thanks Paul...im not computer savvy so had no idea how to do it lol..im not very fond of Bruce's voice but the backing track is awesome and its the first recording of "Call On Me"..thanks for the info on his tenure and recordings at Motown...this is the reason I joined the forum to find out info like this.

  7. #7
    From Graham Jarvis YouTube channel First posted Sept. 26, 2019

    Last edited by luckyluckyme; 01-31-2021 at 08:15 PM.

  8. #8
    From Graham Jarvis YouTube channel First posted Jan 29, 2021




    Thank you Mr. Jarvis

  9. #9
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  21.1 KB
    We found "I wanted To Cry" by Bruce Channel as a Jobete Music proof of ownership acetate back during the mid '70s when working on Motown's "From The Vaults" LP project. But, in several years of perusing The Vault, I never found anything about "Call
    on Me". - which I like much, much better, and would have liked to hear by one of Motown's Soul established Soul artists or groups.
    Last edited by robb_k; 02-01-2021 at 09:09 PM.

  10. #10
    Thank you lucky.

  11. #11
    It seems to me that Motown wasted a lot of top notch productions on tracks that the vocals were not up to much...most of the Little Lisa productions are spot on and really could have done with being given to someone that would have done them justice..same with Bruce's "Call On Me".

  12. #12

  13. #13

  14. #14
    "Call On Me" used to belong to Chris Jenner, so big thank you to CJ.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    I just love this forum...no comments on a unreleased Motown track yet if I had started a thread on my favourite Supremes gown or wig it would have gone through the roof..
    I think the number of hits are just as important as the replies. So far this thread has received 675 hits, so it has generated some interest. Not everyone thinks they have a comment worth making, or they might be pushed for time and intend making a comment later.

    I knew of the existence of this acetate, so I was pleased to hear it at last. While the vocals are pleasant enough, it's the backing track I appreciate more.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    "Call On Me" used to belong to Chris Jenner, so big thank you to CJ.
    Thank you Graham Jarvis for putting the acetatate of the Temptations' "Part Time Lover" on your YouTube channel. Like"Call On Me", I don't think I'd ever heard this track either.

  17. #17
    I think Bruce Channel did a great job on that song "Call On Me". I wonder how he got hooked up with Motown.

  18. #18
    He was probably signed by Al Klein who looked after Motown's Mel-O-Dy label.

    DFTMC also lists an acetate by Stevie Wonder called "Down On My Knees" which it states was overdubbed on tape by Bruce Channel.

  19. #19
    There are a number of others, other than The Temps & Bruce Channel, They all used to Belong To C.J.

    Twelve by the Mob unissued album due to the Motown & A&M L.A. deal not proceeding
    [[add in YT browser) "The Mob's Lost Motown Album? Motown Acetate Recorded In NYC in 1971"


    Three by Mike Montella [[aka Mike Ossman) Miss Motown [[Ray's) Brother in NYC
    "Never Kiss" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOu_3kUeNLI
    "Maybe Next Time" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VinEEtz1KWI
    "This Time".https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c84mXKqMxiY

    Paul Peterson "Window Shopping" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8EjYSwmO0Q

    Anita Knorl "Don't Be Too Long" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EcgjGX7or4

    Spinners "12 O'Clock" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51HC6-paacw

    Connie Van Dyke "So Let Them Laugh At Me" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns80qeP4YIU

    Richard Popcorn Wylie "They Say " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaYLYOGYAyI

    Richard Popcorn Wylie I Struck Gold" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Z_-oW7jms

    Themla Brown "Dear Parent" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqKh5ULwTV4

    Enjoy
    Graham
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-03-2021 at 12:22 PM.

  20. #20
    Also forgot :

    The Temps "Get Ready" Alt Version The original Drum Track
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8EjYSwmO0Q

    Chris Clark " Performing Live" 12 Mins [[Sales Convention with Barney Ales San Francisco Sept 1967)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7R29BMXu4Q
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-03-2021 at 12:25 PM.

  21. #21
    Thank you thank you thank you Graham Jarvis...this is the sort of stuff I have been waiting for.

  22. #22
    There are many others I have uploaded Smokey's 1970 ABC TV special, PR Demo 45's and, and, and, if your interested

  23. #23
    Yes yes im interested lol

  24. #24
    Many thanks Graham. I`m really enjoying them and hope that you don`t mind if I download them.

  25. #25
    They are in the public domain for everyone to hear, there are so many acetates out there in different collections and it always puzzles me as to why they are not shared.

    Maybe one for another thread!

  26. #26
    This is the first time I've actually heard the two Richard Wylie tracks.

    The thread "John Manship Acetate Tapes" in the Soulful Detroit Forum should really be in the Motown Forum and may be of interest to members reading this thread who may have missed it. I'll bump it to the top.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.