[REMOVE ADS]

Rare Smokey & The Miracles on The Mike Douglas Show 6-27-1967 Interview & Performance

Found this to be quite awesome! Enjoy!
    https://youtu.be/Bg-im0zdwUQ

Very unusual video. Thanks for submitting it.

One question. What is the title of the second song in the performance? I don't recall hearing this ever and could not decipher from the singing what the title might be. Thanks.

The second song is "Poinciana," which the group apparently included in their live act as it was also on their "LIVE!" album from 1968.

Did they use the original backing track on this? I hear Claudette. And what's up with the camera man?

Also, was Mike living under a rock for 7 years? One of the "newest" groups to the Motown Sound? LOL.

Hi Mary! It does sound as though they brought along the original backing track [[Claudette included!) and gave Smokey a live mic to sing over it.

As popular as The Mike Douglas Show was, I suspect it was still produced like a local TV show and not a big-budget Hollywood production. The fact that it was syndicated obviously worked in its' favor for exposure and was likely why many celebrities and artists [[Motown included) saw it as a good show to appear on fairly regularly. However, it still appears to have had a modest budget and likely wasn't able to afford top-tier behind the scenes talent.

As for Mike, he was a square. A likable square, but a square nonetheless. Plus, I suspect [[and could be wrong) that this show was done live-to-tape. If Mike or someone on the stage misspoke, that was what you got. There was no, "let's go back and redo this." I wonder if Mike meant to say something to the effect that they were the newest to his show or to generally getting more exposure? It was an odd comment to be sure, but he couldn't have been that clueless, could he...?

Lovely. We tend to forget that Douglas had great guests -

Quote Originally Posted by lyrie View Post
    Found this to be quite awesome! Enjoy!
    https://youtu.be/Bg-im0zdwUQ
    Awesome indeed! Thanks for sharing Lyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Did they use the original backing track on this? I hear Claudette. And what's up with the camera man?

Also, was Mike living under a rock for 7 years? One of the "newest" groups to the Motown Sound? LOL.
    For this performance on Mike Douglas, they used the original backing track & vocals for "Going To A Go-Go" [[and I can hear Claudette too) while the vocals from Smokey Robinson were live. And I guess that Mike was living under a rock at the time when he said that Smokey & Co. were "one of the newest groups to the Motown Sound" [[we all know they were there Before there was a Motown). Anyways, it's always great to see vintage clips of the artists that we love playing live.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 02-04-2021 at 05:48 AM.

Does anyone remember Mike Doulas’ top 10 hit record in 1966?
    It was called “The Men In My Little Girls Life”

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Does anyone remember Mike Doulas’ top 10 hit record in 1966?
    It was called “The Men In My Little Girls Life”
    I remember Mike Douglas' "The Men In My Little Girl's Life" from 1966. It got played on the pop stations in NYC regularly when it came out. Since it's pretty much MOR fluff, I've never liked the song. Turns out he was recording albums from 1965 through 1976.