[REMOVE ADS]

‘Spinning Gold’ Biopic About Casablanca Records Chief Neil Bogart

By Patrick Hipes

EXCLUSIVE: Spinning Gold, the long-in-the-works biopic about 1970s Casablanca Records chief Neil Bogart, is heating up again in time for the Cannes Virtual Market. The pic, written and directed by Bogart’s son Timothy Scott Bogart, has added Wiz Khalifa to play Parliament leader George Clinton, Tayla Parx to play Donna Summer, Ledisi to play Gladys Knight and Lyndsy Fonseca to play music manager Joyce Biawitz.

Production is now underway in New Jersey, and Capstone will introduce the film to Cannes market buyers next week.

Jeremy Jordan plays Neil Bogart in the the pic that charts the rise of his Buddah and Casablanca labels in the 1960s and ’70s with a roster that included Donna Summer, KISS, Parliament, Village People, The Isley Brothers, Gladys Knight and Bill Withers among others.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/spinnin...ic-1234777619/

Was this the same property which had Kelly Rowland attached for the Donna Summer role?

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Thanks for that link. Makes me even more anxious to see the biopic. Also brings back great memories of the disco era with Santa Esmerelda, Love and Kisses, and others.

Did not realize that Bogart was only 39 when he died. He packed quite a bit of living in his short life.

And, duh !!......It took reading the article to realize why Bogart named the label Casablanca. Of course, it is obvious, but I guess I never gave it a thought

@milven,

The drawing on the label and the 12” sleeves, which I always loved, certainly paid homage to the film.

The larger-than-life story of Casablanca Records, the most successful independent record company of all time, and its creator Neil Bogart is coming to the big screen in the new motion picture, Spinning Gold, which premieres in theaters nationwide on March 31.
    Tracklist
    1 01. Jason Derulo - It's Your Thing [[02:57)
    1 02. Wiz Khalifa - Give Up The Funk [[Tear The Roof Off The Sucker) [[05:17)
    1 03. Sam Nelson; Casey Likes - Shout It Out Loud [[02:43)
    1 04. Tayla Parx - Bad Girls [[04:47)
    1 05. Ledisi - Midnight Train To Georgia [[03:57)
    1 06. Pink Sweat$ - Ain't No Sunshine [[02:11)
    1 07. Tayla Parx - Love To Love You Baby [[03:24)
    1 08. Sam Nelson; Casey Likes - Rock And Roll All Nite [[02:44)
    1 09. Jeremy Jordan - Cherry On Top [[02:56)
    1 10. Alec Benjamin - One Toke Over The Line [[03:20)
    1 11. Pink Sweat$ - Lean On Me [[04:18)
    1 12. Tayla Parx - Dim All The Lights [[03:57)
    1 13. Wiz Khalifa - Mothership Connection [[06:07)
    1 14. Romell - O-o-h Child [[03:15)
    1 15. Jeremy Jordan - Oh Happy Day [[02:46)
    1 16. Pink Sweat$ - Who Is He [[And What Is He To You) [[03:10)
    1 17. Alex Gaskarth - Beth [[02:44)
    1 18. Jeremy Jordan; Tayla Parx - Last Dance [[03:12)
    1 19. Jeremy Jordan; Cast - Greatest Time [[Spinning Gold) [[03:42)

I've been seeing the previews for this for a while in the theaters. I will definitely see it this weekend.

Here's a YouTube link to a playlist of the soundtrack [[among other tracks):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-yl...sfJV7I&index=1

I just came from seeing it. I thought it to be only fair. I thought a bit campy & it only glossed over the sex, drugs & rock & roll aspect. I didn't think the performances to be substantial enough. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion [& I get that]. But, there's nobody that sings Last Dance like Donna Summer, & I can't picture no one else singing it.
    Like I said, it's purely my own opinion.

I saw it today. I wish I could say I enjoyed it but I'd probably only give it a 2 out of 5.

Not to mention that some of the scenes, such as Neil and Gladys supposedly at the piano working out MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA or the over the top [and downright disrespectful, IMO] portrayal of the LOVE TO LOVE YOU BABY recording session, seem at odds with previous memories shared by those involved.

Thanks for the reviews, Moe and Reese. I remember when I saw the trailer and I wasn't impressed. The actress that was casted to play Donna seemed like the wrong choice, and the acting, writing and production came across as very cheesy and low-budget. I may give it a chance, when it becomes available to stream.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks for the reviews, Moe and Reese. I remember when I saw the trailer and I wasn't impressed. The actress that was casted to play Donna seemed like the wrong choice, and the acting, writing and production came across as very cheesy and low-budget. I may give it a chance, when it becomes available to stream.
    In USA TODAY, I read that it will be in theaters for 45 days before becoming available on demand.

Sounds really disappointing. That’s surprising because the bare-bones facts of the enterprise would be enough for three movies probably. It might’ve been another thread where we were discussing this movie, but the book “Hit Men” had a fascinating chapter all about Casablanca and Neil B.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In USA TODAY, I read that it will be in theaters for 45 days before becoming available on demand.
    Thanks Reese.

Saw Lee Thomas's of Fox2 "Critically Speaking" and him and his partner gave it a "Thumbs Down"