[REMOVE ADS]

comparing Mono vs Stereo releases

was so cool a week or two ago when George highlighted the difference with WDOLG and the hand claps. in the Mono version the handclaps accent beats 2 and 4, whereas the Stereo does all four beats

let's compare and share our notes on others on the originally released material! let's also include the mono single version along with the mono album and stereo album. Let's skip the unreleased versions and alt versions

Meet The Supremes

*Who's loving you - mono album has a different lead
    *buttered popcorn - there are 2 versions of this song released. the early first version and then the 2nd version which was the revised single and then the subsequent lp version

I didn't realize there are 2 different vocals for "Who's Loving You", but then I never really play the mono album. I'll have to check it out.

Off the top of my head, the vocal to "Love Is In Our Hearts" is different on the mono and stereo. I think the vocal to "I Can't Help Myself" is also different from mono to stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I didn't realize there are 2 different vocals for "Who's Loving You", but then I never really play the mono album. I'll have to check it out.

Off the top of my head, the vocal to "Love Is In Our Hearts" is different on the mono and stereo. I think the vocal to "I Can't Help Myself" is also different from mono to stereo.
    I Hear A Symphony:
    The mono and stereo vocal leads on I Hear A Symphony and Wonderful, Wonderful are alternate vocals takes.

Reflections:
    Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things also had an alternate vocal.

A Go Go

This Old Heart of Mine - the intro is different. on Stereo you have the tambourine and full percussion starting at the very beginning. On the mono, tam and some others wait to enter until the 5th measure

A Go Go

"Baby I Need Your Lovin'"- In the mono version, at mark 2:22 where Diana begins "In the midnight hour.....", all instruments drop out except for the bass and a guitar lightly strumming the chords. The stereo version has more instrumentation on this section.

I recall, back in the day, I traded my mono version of this album for the stereo version and regretted it because that little section of the mono version was my favorite part of the whole album.

"My Christmas Tree" has completely different lead vocal takes between mono and stereo. This crushed me when I replaced my family's battered mono vinyl copy with the first [stereo] CD pressing.

Country Western & Pop

the mono mix of My Heart and You Didn't Care uses different leads than the stereo versions

Sam Cooke

mono version of What A Wonderful World is a different lead vocal

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    "My Christmas Tree" has completely different lead vocal takes between mono and stereo. This crushed me when I replaced my family's battered mono vinyl copy with the first [stereo] CD pressing.
    "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Me" is also two different vocals from mono to stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Country Western & Pop

the mono mix of My Heart and You Didn't Care uses different leads than the stereo versions
    Put this in the "Pros" column for an expanded edition of the CWP album. I guess I have to try to track down a mono copy of CWP in the meantime. Something to do in the 2021.

Sam Cooke

What!!! Okay, gotta get a mono copy of this album too. Is there any differences between mono and stereo Liverpool?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Me" is also two different vocals from mono to stereo.
    That's right. Thanks for the reminder.

Sam Cooke

Alternate lead vocal. When I first read this I did a double take as I didn't recall Mary or Flo singing lead on it.

A Go Go.
    No kazoos on the mono version.

Most of them are slight differences for the Supremes. I don't think anything is as dramatic as Martha and The Vandellas on Jimmy Mack. Totally different songs.

The dry version of "You Can't Hurry Love" as opposed to the wet version. I prefer the up close, dry version...maybe because I have vivid memories of hearing it on the candy truck where I used to help deliver candy to the local stores and help restock the shelves for single sales. Wow! As I am typing this, my mouth is watering as I recall the fresh aromas of opening up those boxes of Snickers and Three Musketeer [[sp) bars.