[REMOVE ADS]

Diana's Live At Ceasar's Album

Here's one that doesn't get much discussion around here, Diana's "Caesar's Palace" lp from 1974. It's always been one I enjoy a lot. The two songs I play the most are "Big Mabel Murphy" and "I Loves You Porgy", but I don't think there's a bad performance on the album. I remember reading there's an outtake from the lp of a song I really love, but I can't remember what it was.

Anyway, thoughts on this one?

"Corner of The Sky" has always beena personal favourite.the LP is highly edited she was doing lots of other tracks in this time period on stage that didnt make the cut

I think it is a great album. Diana is in perfect voice throughout. My particular faves are AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH, I LOVES YA PORGY, and the LADY SINGS THE BLUES MEDLEY. The album packaging is first-rate as well.

As an aside, when I bought the album on cd, I was surprised to find that it wasn't the same version I had on vinyl. There were no alternate vocals or anything, but it was definitely remixed. Nothing drastic. There was some applause added in spots or taken away. Also, a couple of "Thank you"s that weren't on the original as well.

The song I remember most from this album was Big Mabel Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Here's one that doesn't get much discussion around here, Diana's "Caesar's Palace" lp from 1974. It's always been one I enjoy a lot. The two songs I play the most are "Big Mabel Murphy" and "I Loves You Porgy", but I don't think there's a bad performance on the album. I remember reading there's an outtake from the lp of a song I really love, but I can't remember what it was.

Anyway, thoughts on this one?
    Is there not a better mix of the album languishing in the Motown vaults?. I always found the sound quality a little tinny which is a shame.
    ”Mable” and “Porgy” are my go to songs from the album as well. The packaging is stylish, with Diana in fine voice throughout as she mainly was during this time frame.
    I wonder how far down the expanded list this album is?.

I love this LP! I always hated the song Parade, and this is the 3rd time we get a live TRAMP from her...other than that, its great....Big Mable, and this is the first version of Corner of The Sky I ever heard....that long note she hits going into the 2nd part of I LOVES YOU PORGY still is one of my fav Ross moments....we were spared [[for the most part) the choppy medleys that became a standard on the live LPS...although I love the Motown/Supremes medleys on An Evening With...the first one gets the standard rush and chop job, and I was just grateful not to get another Stop/Come../My Word/Baby Love medley.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    "Corner of The Sky" has always beena personal favourite.the LP is highly edited she was doing lots of other tracks in this time period on stage that didnt make the cut
    Yes, love that one too. I reckon this one is screaming for an expanded edition.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think it is a great album. Diana is in perfect voice throughout. My particular faves are AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH, I LOVES YA PORGY, and the LADY SINGS THE BLUES MEDLEY. The album packaging is first-rate as well.

As an aside, when I bought the album on cd, I was surprised to find that it wasn't the same version I had on vinyl. There were no alternate vocals or anything, but it was definitely remixed. Nothing drastic. There was some applause added in spots or taken away. Also, a couple of "Thank you"s that weren't on the original as well.
    That's very interesting Reese! I wonder what that's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I love this LP! I always hated the song Parade, and this is the 3rd time we get a live TRAMP from her...other than that, its great....Big Mable, and this is the first version of Corner of The Sky I ever heard....that long note she hits going into the 2nd part of I LOVES YOU PORGY still is one of my fav Ross moments....we were spared [[for the most part) the choppy medleys that became a standard on the live LPS...although I love the Motown/Supremes medleys on An Evening With...the first one gets the standard rush and chop job, and I was just grateful not to get another Stop/Come../My Word/Baby Love medley.
    Diana does a great "Tramp" but yeah, could've done without it. And I agree about that note in "Porgy", that's one of the reasons I love it so.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this was the concert that included a live version of Happy [[Love The From lady Sings The Blues). If so, I would have preferred that on the album instead of Tramp. Perhaps an expanded edition could be released? I know, I know.... dreams.

If you look at the live albums from Diana, Tramp is the song she performs the most. and in full. as opposed to all of her hits! lol perhaps Mountain is there too but she rarely performs it in full.

Caesar's is a good live set when you look at the individual performances. But the line up is a bit all over the place.

Corner of the Sky
    Being Green
    Mable

all of these are favs of mine.

one complaint is i'm not as happy with the backing vocalists. the male vocals are too prominent

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    one complaint is i'm not as happy with the backing vocalists. the male vocals are too prominent
    Agreed. I never cared much for the backing vocals on this album, not enough of the females. But at least you can hear them. I can barely hear the Jones Girls on the AN EVENING WITH...album.

I believe this was a 2 lp set but cut back to one album.
    The dvd version was on tap for release about five years ago but cancelled over licensing issues never to be heard of again.
    The expanded cd was on tap for release I thought but ...on hold maybe.
    Plenty of out takes...check out youtube....Diana at royal albert hall.most songs are there.
    Would be nice to get an expanded edition one day

Love this album
    My favorites are “Corner in the Sky” and “I loves you Porgy”. I used to play this album over and over. This was my first experience of hearing Diana Ross in concert.

My problem with this set is its like the problem I had with the Supremes live shows in the 60s--same ol' same ol'. I mean come on she was still doing Lady Is A Tramp and the Supremes medley for like 7 years by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    My problem with this set is its like the problem I had with the Supremes live shows in the 60s--same ol' same ol'. I mean come on she was still doing Lady Is A Tramp and the Supremes medley for like 7 years by that point.
    i think the "big change" here was all of the Lady material. This was the first big concert tour after the movie. so the addition of all the jazz material was totally new.

plus she'd had her 2 children and incorporated the children's Sesame Street segment. if wasn't as big [[or as successful IMO) as the kid segment she later included on Evening. but still rather nice.

as for the Sup medley, of course it was mandatory that she do something. but i agree they could have been a bit more imaginative.

I would have preferred more hits and standards and less songs like Parade....Ain't Nobody's Biz.
    I skip those.
    She had to much material under her belt after 4 solo albums

as for the Sup medley, of course it was mandatory that she do something. but i agree they could have been a bit more imaginative.
    Yeah I get that. I think Diana herself even knew she had to include Supremes material in her shows whether she liked it or not. BUT I think using the same old medley since 1967 was a mistake. Maybe perform I Hear A Symphony in full and add in full versions of Baby Love and Reflections and there you have the obligatory Supremes section for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Love this album
    My favorites are “Corner in the Sky” and “I loves you Porgy”. I used to play this album over and over. This was my first experience of hearing Diana Ross in concert.
    I do as well. I remember buying it, even. And 'Big Mabel Murphy' - the lady sure can sing.

Yeah I get that. I think Diana herself even knew she had to include Supremes material in her shows whether she liked it or not. BUT I think using the same old medley since 1967 was a mistake. Maybe perform I Hear A Symphony in full and add in full versions of Baby Love and Reflections and there you have the obligatory Supremes section for the show.
    agreed. and that medley frankly only worked during the DRATS era because they were also doing 4 or 5 of their more recent hits in full. but in Diana's show, i think that brief medley was it. so not only was it an old, worn out arrangement but it simply was too skimpy of an acknowledgement to her Sup days. especially when she was only a year or two out. this is the same medley she used in her initial solo shows too

It would have been nice, since the Supremes had 12 #1 hits, to have created a new medley with some of the other numbers in it rather than doing the same Supremes medley from the Supremes days. When I saw her recently [[okay, 2.5 years ago), she actually did a few Supremes songs in full, and it was very much appreciated by the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe this was the concert that included a live version of Happy [[Love The From lady Sings The Blues). If so, I would have preferred that on the album instead of Tramp. Perhaps an expanded edition could be released? I know, I know.... dreams.
    Thanks Thom!! That's the song I couldn't remember. I've always thought a studio version of "Happy" for Diana made so much sense. Fingers still crossed that there's one waiting for inclusion on a future expanded edition. Anyway, can't remember where I read about the live version from the CP74 show but I can't wait to hear this one!

True, but that's about it where the same ole same ole criticism applies. This was mostly a fresh set post Supremes.

Yeah, the medleys are annoying. I think two full version Supremes songs would've done well to appease anyone in the crowd who needed a Diana Supremes fix.

Big Mable Murphy and I love You Porgy and the LSTB are Miss Ross at her finest;. Love that album and the fold out cover with the photo album.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Big Mable Murphy and I love You Porgy and the LSTB are Miss Ross at her finest;. Love that album and the fold out cover with the photo album.
    the package was first class. all the way. there some great Billboard ads for it too.

i just think they could/should have put more care into the song selection and the album lineup. Corner, Being Green, Lady, Mountain at the end of side 1??? It just seems so random and patchwork

the package was first class. all the way. there some great Billboard ads for it too.

i just think they could/should have put more care into the song selection and the album lineup. Corner, Being Green, Lady, Mountain at the end of side 1??? It just seems so random and patchwork
    It does make you wonder of that was anywhere near the show order or just sequenced for the album.

How long did Diana keep "Tramp" in her shows? Seems like this should have been updated or upgraded. Much like the Supremes doing "YNTSLY" into the 70's. To hell with the showtunes!

the line show she did in 73 in Copenhagen is on youtube. it's a little different lineup. no sesame street segment, no Mabel or Porgy. I wonder if they cut Sesame since this was international and i don't think [[at the time) S Street was an international broadcast. it was only a couple years old

Intro
    Don't rain on my parade
    lady is a tramp
    Reach out and touch
    When you smile
    I'm still waiting
    corner of the sky
    Sup medley
    Mountain
    Lady medley - Lady sings the blues, god bless the child, ain't nobody's business, good morning heartache, our love is here to stay
    My man
    Call me [[the encore)

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    How long did Diana keep "Tramp" in her shows? Seems like this should have been updated or upgraded. Much like the Supremes doing "YNTSLY" into the 70's. To hell with the showtunes!
    I think Diana kept TRAMP in up through her AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS presentation, 1976-1978. Her conductor Gil Askey said that Diana dropped it from her act after tiring of singing it for so long. But when Berry saw the show, he made her put it back in.
    Last edited by reese; 01-27-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    It does make you wonder of that was anywhere near the show order or just sequenced for the album.
    I have a March 1973 review of the show where they mentioned a live album was being recorded during the engagement. Most of the songs listed in the review made it to the album with the exception of HAPPY, another song from SESAME STREET, and the show finale, THE GOOD LIFE.

So the album's content was already somewhat dated when the album was released in 1974. It also explains why hits like TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING and LAST TIME I SAW HIM weren't included.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    the show finale, THE GOOD LIFE.
    Aha! Now the "Jeffersons" Gladys Knight episode makes sense--Florence is singing "The Good Life" along with her headphones as she scrubs the floor...then she exclaims, "Sing it, Di-an-a!" Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Aha! Now the "Jeffersons" Gladys Knight episode makes sense--Florence is singing "The Good Life" along with her headphones as she scrubs the floor...then she exclaims, "Sing it, Di-an-a!" Thanks!
    I always thought THE GOOD LIFE was a weird choice for Florence to make that comment about, considering Diana never recorded that song [[or at least never released it). But it was a great JEFFERSONS episode, for sure.

Poor little Melvin woke up early every morning [[yes he did) with two black eyes and knuckle bumps on his head.

"Corner of the Sky" is my favorite from this album.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    "Corner of the Sky" is my favorite from this album.
    i remember on here that someone mentioned that there was talk of releasing this live version as a single.

i remember on here that someone mentioned that there was talk of releasing this live version as a single.
    That would have been me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    That would have been me.
    ah thanks Blue

i think it was certainly among the strongest songs on the lp but i don't know if in 74 it would have been a massive hit. it's a decent song and she does a great job on it. but i doubt it would have gone top 10. perhaps just squeak into the top 20.

ah thanks Blue

i think it was certainly among the strongest songs on the lp but i don't know if in 74 it would have been a massive hit. it's a decent song and she does a great job on it. but i doubt it would have gone top 10. perhaps just squeak into the top 20.
    It's a tour de force performance from Ms Ross, but i am in agreement with you. Top 20 at best on both sides of the Atlantic.
    She spoke fondly of this song, and it somewhat galled me that she could recall tunes such as this with great affection yet had little or no recollection of I thought it took a little time and Never say i don't love you. I played the latter song to her one day in the mid 90's. She had totally forgotten about it, but she finally agreed it was a beautiful song, and she welcomed it's inclusion on the expanded version of To Love Again in the early noughties. However i am drifting off topic. My original point was that she loved Corner of the sky.

Corner might have fit on an album [[let's disregard timing for a moment since it wasn't around yet) like Everything is Everything. that album was an early pop sound from her and so something like Corner was easy going enough to fit right in

once she expanded her sound and talents with Lady, Corner just seems too lightweight. It's like an adult singing a kids tune. Plus she'd just released the marvelous Touch Me In the Morning album. so Corner following this would have been SUCH a let down.

here's another interesting idea. while i like To the Baby, it isn't as well-rounded of a collection as others she's released. it's all lush, string-laden and gets a touch overwraught.

on the Caesar's album, she does Being Green which was apparently part of a Sesame Street segment. I wonder if something like that might have worked as part of a revised To The Baby set? I don't mean Diana should sing C Is For Cookie lolol [[although that might be fun as hell to hear lol). Her rendition of Being Green is just lovely. it's touching, there's a hint of her recent jazz work. I don't know that you'd get a full album side but maybe 3 or 4 tracks that could segue together

Being Green
    Sing
    What do i do when i'm alone
    someday little children
    somebody come and play

here's another interesting idea. while i like To the Baby, it isn't as well-rounded of a collection as others she's released. it's all lush, string-laden and gets a touch overwraught.

on the Caesar's album, she does Being Green which was apparently part of a Sesame Street segment. I wonder if something like that might have worked as part of a revised To The Baby set? I don't mean Diana should sing C Is For Cookie lolol [[although that might be fun as hell to hear lol). Her rendition of Being Green is just lovely.
    i’m not sure about hearing her sing C is for cookie! What if it came out like the “children’s Christmas Song“? That one to me is painful to listen to! Especially when she calls out the Jobete kids, Joy, Berry and Terri!

I agree with you about the “to the baby“ album. It’s my least favorite of all the formerly unreleased projects we’ve seen come to light. I think I’ve only played it once and it didn’t make me want to hear it again.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

I agree with you about the “to the baby“ album. It’s my least favorite of all the formerly unreleased projects we’ve seen come to light. I think I’ve only played it once and it didn’t make me want to hear it again.
    To the Baby was a horrible idea from a sales standpoint. It was a niche album. Perhaps the most hardcore Diana fans would've bought it. Any other sales would have come from new first time mothers who were in need of music that spoke to where they were in their lives. That's not a million seller. However, artistically it's a very nice collection of cuts. I think the only one I don't care for is "Young Mothers". I might have to give it a listen to see if I've since changed my mind. But aside from that, the other cuts are very nice. And I really love the title track. But the album would've been a bad move. I think the Last Time album would've outsold To the Baby.