[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    i don't see Boots as the weakest cut on A Go Go. definitely not the strongest but Sloopy is worse IMO. and it isn't terrible either. just dull.

IMO it's a case of the tepid approach on the LA tracks. had these been HDH and the Funk Brothers, perhaps the track Diana did her lead on would have been more inspiring. Boots also seems sort of rushed - let's quickly do a take or two and we're done. I think if Diana had been able to toy around with it more, it would have been much stronger. she needed a bit more coyness

Flo certainly had coyness in her lead on Good News. but that was also a big sound. Boots is so understated that i don't know how Flo would have done on it. Maybe she could have added some more peaks to the song - like on Good News when she goes into her upper range on the 2nd "And I Can't Wait! to get him hoooommmmme, WHERE we can..."

These boots is just the worst song on the album lol. Sloopy isn't that great either but better than boots. I can tolerate Sloopy but Boots.....
    I don't think Diana's voice was strong enough to handle boots. Especially when I listen to Nancy's version and Diana's side by side. I wonder what background vocals Florence and Mary, or just anyone, could have added to make the song, maybe, stronger.

Not sure if it has been discussed but I don't think I'd like boots with Florence on lead but rather hear her singing lead on one of the other songs. Maybe on one of the 4 tops songs.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    These boots is just the worst song on the album lol. Sloopy isn't that great either but better than boots. I can tolerate Sloopy but Boots.....
    I don't think Diana's voice was strong enough to handle boots. Especially when I listen to Nancy's version and Diana's side by side. I wonder what background vocals Florence and Mary, or just anyone, could have added to make the song, maybe, stronger.

Not sure if it has been discussed but I don't think I'd like boots with Florence on lead but rather hear her singing lead on one of the other songs. Maybe on one of the 4 tops songs.
    lol see to me M and F's prim, square backing vocals tank Sloopy. Diana does a fairly decent lead on it - energized. but the overall boringness of the track makes it IMO one of the weakest final songs on any Sup album

A lot of the songs on A Go Go are very pop, which might not work as well for Flo. her voice is big and heavy and so she needed the right material. as i said, her coyness and playfulness MIGHT have worked on Boots but that's not 100% certain

outside of Boots, maybe she could have done Shake Me. she could DEFINITELY belt out the chorus of "WAKE ME SOMEBODY!!"

This “Flo should have sung Boots” is fascinating to me. I’ve been seeing certain fans say that since the yahoo club days. It’s been repeated so much it has taken on a life of its own. Much like “Flo could have been a comedic broadway actress”. Regarding Flo, I don’t hear it. Since when does Boots need a strong vocal? The song needs a sassy vocal. That is exactly what Diana delivers. Diana had the cool sassy vocal thing going on in the 60’s and was a good fit for this song. I agree with others that the problem with the overall production may be the problem.

You know what I could hear Flo doing for A Go Go? I Only Want To Be With You.

The story of Flo and this recording is the stuff that legends are made of. She would have done a good job. A great opportunity to let her chops loose. A strong album filler track.

But it wasn't gonna be Aretha doing "Nessun Dorma".

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I think you mean the fact that he's "brave" enough. LOL! Andy seems to have given up on us, quite understandably so.
    Yeah, all true. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i don't see Boots as the weakest cut on A Go Go. definitely not the strongest but Sloopy is worse IMO. and it isn't terrible either. just dull.

IMO it's a case of the tepid approach on the LA tracks. had these been HDH and the Funk Brothers, perhaps the track Diana did her lead on would have been more inspiring. Boots also seems sort of rushed - let's quickly do a take or two and we're done. I think if Diana had been able to toy around with it more, it would have been much stronger. she needed a bit more coyness

Flo certainly had coyness in her lead on Good News. but that was also a big sound. Boots is so understated that i don't know how Flo would have done on it. Maybe she could have added some more peaks to the song - like on Good News when she goes into her upper range on the 2nd "And I Can't Wait! to get him hoooommmmme, WHERE we can..."
    I agree that "Sloopy" is the weakest cut. I disagree that Diana, or Flo had she been given the song, needed an air of coyness. To the contrary, as I said before, my one issue with Diana's delivery is that she needed an assertiveness to her vocal that isn't present. Coy just doesn't work with the lyrics to my ear.

"Boots" worked for Nancy because she was kittenish and sexy. Not the first two words I'd use to describe either D or F.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    This “Flo should have sung Boots” is fascinating to me. I’ve been seeing certain fans say that since the yahoo club days. It’s been repeated so much it has taken on a life of its own. Much like “Flo could have been a comedic broadway actress”. Regarding Flo, I don’t hear it. Since when does Boots need a strong vocal? The song needs a sassy vocal. That is exactly what Diana delivers. Diana had the cool sassy vocal thing going on in the 60’s and was a good fit for this song. I agree with others that the problem with the overall production may be the problem.
    If you head back further up in the thread you'll see the conversation about the song needing a sassy vocal. Diana never did sassy well IMO, so I find your assertion that she had that going for her back in the 60s very interesting. [[She did have a very sassy look though.) Flo had a naturally sassy personality, and I believe it extended to her vocal work, which made her a natural for a song where she's telling a dude to kick rocks. Diana's delivery on the song could've been more assertive, which also would've worked. Both Diana and Flo were capable of strong vocals. A Little Lisa delivery wouldn't have cut it on this song.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    "Boots" worked for Nancy because she was kittenish and sexy. Not the first two words I'd use to describe either D or F.
    I think both Diana and Florence were very sexy women, and with the right song it could be conveyed in their vocal. Diana always had an Eartha Kitt vibe to her, so kittenish was right up her alley. I also wouldn't really compare Nancy and Diana or Flo. Two of them could sing, but one of them.....

Khansperac I love that we all have different opinions on things. I love Diana's voice on almost everything she sings but Boots is a big No for me. I don't even like Nancy's version that much. The mix could definitely be better.

Floyjoy you mean the Dusty song? Definitely interesting choice. Maybe not to everyone's taste but I would love to hear Florence sing the Locomotion or He's a rebel. Although old song by the time A go go was released i'd still swap them for Boots :P

Ran love the Little Lisa comment! Was thinking about Flo singing her song at the same time lol.

I wonder if Gordy ended up kicking himself for including "Boots" and "Sloopy". I think it's no secret he wanted all the pie to himself; it must have killed him that 2 non-Motown songs were included on the Supremes first #1 lp, let alone the first #1 lp by a girl group. He did however redeem himself by putting his own "Money" in the track listing. Cha-ching!

“Boots” doesn’t work because a cute, coy, kittenish whatever you call it vocal is not what the lyrics cry out for. Diana’s interpretation is ok, but not for a moment does the listener believe a word she is singing. Flo’s more strident, no-nonsense but sensually mature voice could and should have been the perfect fit.
    IMO of course.

I wonder if Gordy ended up kicking himself for including "Boots" and "Sloopy". I think it's no secret he wanted all the pie to himself; it must have killed him that 2 non-Motown songs were included on the Supremes first #1 lp, let alone the first #1 lp by a girl group. He did however redeem himself by putting his own "Money" in the track listing. Cha-ching!
    Good question! Gonna use your comment to start a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    IMO of course.
    But of course. What else would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by ranran79 View Post
    but of course. What else would it be?
    ***:d:d:d***

I dont think Diana's vocal Boots its all that bad..it sounds like a very early take and she hasnt sunken her teeth into it properly yet..what lets it down for me is the infamous instrumental outro it dosent have the kick or bite of Nancy's version..Sloopy is worse imo

The Supremes' version of Sloopy may be the worst cover version ever made and frankly the song sucked to begin with. I'll be the first to acknowledge that DR did a wonderful job on all the HDH singles that were tailored to her--but Sloopy shows some SERIIOUS Limitations at this stage in her career. That initial "Hannnnng on Sloopy" is so goddawful and off pitch I can scarcely believe quality control let it through. DR sounds whiny and nasal. If this song HAD to be done, and god knows it didn't, it should have been given to Mary or Florence. Better to shoot it coming through the door as they say

I don't think either Boots or Sloopy is the groups worst cover version...I would have to grant that honor to Liverpool's HOW DO YOU DO IT...with Up Up and Away 2nd.

I know lots of folks hate Tumbleweed...but DR sings it with a ton of conviction...and considering the orig. is a real cowboy horse clacker, it's a great and spirited cover. It is also the only Western cut on a LP that was a nice RnB/Country blend...it is behind WDOG? as my fav DR unit Supremes LP

Hee hee! You make a good point, GMan! I never heard either of those covers! Thank God! I LOVE Tumbleweed for the fantastic backup up vocals! M and F were booming!! The song is dopey but they made it work IMO

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I agree that "Sloopy" is the weakest cut. I disagree that Diana, or Flo had she been given the song, needed an air of coyness. To the contrary, as I said before, my one issue with Diana's delivery is that she needed an assertiveness to her vocal that isn't present. Coy just doesn't work with the lyrics to my ear.
    maybe "coy" isn't the right word. it should definitely be an assertive vocal but not overly defiant. i think the delivery needs a little bit of a "wink" in it. This isn't You Don't Own Me IMO The whole production with Nancy had a touch of camp in it. especially the zany video lolol. and i don't mean that in a bad way. so there needs to be some sort of playfulness with it. otherwise the fact that it has one of the most limited melodies ever coupled with rather idiotic lyrics would make it a laughing stock. And i like the song. appreciate it for what it is. so very catchy and addictive

oh i disagree!!!! isn't the whole delivery of WDOLG and BL Diana's version of kittenish? and sexy too. now both of those are songs pleading for the lover to return so a definitely different setting.

I totally agree with you about Nancy. there's a sultriness to her singing and style.

i think Diana could absolutely do that type of singing but only marginally captures it here. she sings it a bit too straight.

BOOTS was the right vehicle for Nancy...song, writer, production....Like HDH was for the Supremes....everyone remembers Boots, and that LP was full of cover songs too. Nancy had other top 20 hits...How Does That Grab You Darlin?, Sugar Town, You Only Live Twice and the Suzi Quatro worthy Lightnings Girl, the Something Stupid #1 with her Dad, and a few great and some spooky duets w/Boots writer Lee Hazlewood. the LA Wrecking Crew were to her records what the Funk Brothers were to the Supremes.

Lets remember we are looking back at 1966-'67 and we hadn't yet heard much of the music we as a generation so fondly remember and love...back then, it was all new and exciting....I still can't believe the Mama's and Papa's existed for just over 2 years. Records were issued one right after the other back then.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    BOOTS was the right vehicle for Nancy...song, writer, production....Like HDH was for the Supremes....everyone remembers Boots, and that LP was full of cover songs too. Nancy had other top 20 hits...How Does That Grab You Darlin?, Sugar Town, You Only Live Twice and the Suzi Quatro worthy Lightnings Girl, the Something Stupid #1 with her Dad, and a few great and some spooky duets w/Boots writer Lee Hazlewood. the LA Wrecking Crew were to her records what the Funk Brothers were to the Supremes.

Not to mention the time she went a little 'Sylvia Robinson' in the mid seventies :

!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Not to mention the time she went a little 'Sylvia Robinson' in the mid seventies :

!!
    Hmmm. I think she sounds a lot better strutting around and over peeps wearing them there boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Hmmm. I think she sounds a lot better strutting around and over peeps wearing them there boots.
    well I said not to mention it ! lol!

Not very romantic imagery in this. Kind of tawdry. Nancy is in the second half of her thirties when KINKY LOVE came out , approaching horny older lady age, like you see on 90 Day Fiance.

I love Nancy Sinatra of the sixties ! :

Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-06-2021 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Khansperac I love that we all have different opinions on things. I love Diana's voice on almost everything she sings but Boots is a big No for me. I don't even like Nancy's version that much. The mix could definitely be better.

Floyjoy you mean the Dusty song? Definitely interesting choice. Maybe not to everyone's taste but I would love to hear Florence sing the Locomotion or He's a rebel. Although old song by the time A go go was released i'd still swap them for Boots :P
    Yup the Dusty song. I can hear Flo having fun with that one. Or another one I think would be a good lead for her would be You're the One by the Vogues/Petula Clark and I can hear Diana doing the "You're the ooone yeah yeah yeah" during the chorus.

Wow, great news to know that just the three Supremes are on this album!