[REMOVE ADS]

John Morales Presents Teena Marie – Love Songs & Funky Beats LP 2CD

The 3LP & 2CD will be available on March 26th, 2021
    https://www.bbemusic.com/downloads/t...s-funky-beats/

Producer extraordinaire John Morales returns to BBE Music, celebrating the life and work of R&B / soul legend Teena Marie with a double album full of brand new remixes, lovingly crafted from the original studio tapes, entitled ‘Love Songs & Funky Beats’.
    “Teena is somewhat underrated, and people don’t really know much about her.” Says Morales. “I set out to immerse people in her music and represent what she really did. That meant for me a dive into more than her R&B hits, to dig into her ballads and dance cuts. People know she was talented. I don’t really think they really knew the depth of her abilities, her complete confidence to take it upon herself to do everything – singing, producing, arranging, songwriting. Teena Marie was the total package.”
    John Morales had the pleasure of mixing many of Teena Marie’s original records over the years, so it felt natural to dig into the archives and select his favourite cuts to rework, extend and subtly update in his own distinctive style. While by no means a definitive collection of Lady Tee’s expansive musical catalogue, ‘Love Songs & Funky Beats’ represents a fitting tribute to a multifaceted and important voice in popular music, by one of the most storied mix engineers and remixers of our age.
    Jumping into the music industry deep end in 1979 with a three-year mentorship from Berry Gordy & Rick James at Motown, Teena Marie then spent seven fertile years with Epic, which yielded her greatest commercial successes [[including the classic album ‘Starchild’). After founding an independent label ‘Sarai’, Marie took a ten-year hiatus which ended in 2004 in a deal with hip hop label Cash Money Records; a less unlikely partnership than some might assume, given that Teena was one of the first ‘mainstream’ artists to perform a rap verse, on 1981’s ‘Square Biz’.
    Teena Marie Brockert forged a unique path through the industry, an artist in-charge of her own destiny, influencing [[and heavily sampled by) both the hip hop and R&B sounds of the 90’s and early 2000’s. Her 1982 lawsuit against Motown records resulted in “The Brockert Initiative”, which has benefitted literally thousands of other artists by making it illegal for record companies to ‘shelve’ artists by keeping them under contract without releasing their material. She continued to tour regularly and deliver commercially successful, expertly sculpted music, right up until her untimely passing in 2010.

Tracklist
    1 – I Need Your Lovin’ [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    2 – It Must Be Magic [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    3 – Aladdin’s Lamp [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    4 – First Class Love [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    5 – Now That I Have You [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    6 – I’m a Sucker for Your Love [[Live in Long Beach, Ca 1981: Alternate Mix / John Morales M+M Mix)
    7 – Behind the Groove [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    8 – Love Just Wouldn’t Be Right [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    9 – Portuguese Love [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    10 – Chains [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    11 – 365 [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    12 – Wasn’t I Good to You [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    13 – Square Biz [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    14 – More Love [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    15 – You Got Away [[John Morales M+M Mix)
    16 – You’re All the Boogie I Need [[John Morales M+ M Mix)
    17 – Lonely Desire [[John Morales M+ M Mix)
    18 – Fire and Desire [[John Morales M+M Mix)

And this is the cover:
    Name:  ded8d70a-90d6-45f4-9a40-4eb9dade0b50.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  84.7 KB
    For soundbites:
    https://www.firstexperiencerecords.c...eid=8ef69f45a6
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jack020; 01-25-2021 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    And this is the cover:
    Name:  ded8d70a-90d6-45f4-9a40-4eb9dade0b50.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  84.7 KB
    For soundbites:
    https://www.firstexperiencerecords.c...eid=8ef69f45a6
    Thank you so much for the heads up.. I love Teena Marie so much, and have little doubt John Morales will do the great lady justice with this collection.
    Thank you again.

This looks awesome

I'm glad "Aladdin's Lamp" gets a remix, one of my favourites

I will definitely get it. I appreciate all projects intended to keep Teena's flame burning. Although I am much more of a fan of her ballads.

I'm all in on this one too. Teena was incredible.

I just got mine. Haven't had a chance to listen yet. An 11 minute rework of "Fire and Desire"?! I'm here for it. I look forward to hearing it in full.

I am in complete agreement with Glencro about John Morales and his sensitivity for reworking tracks. He strips them down and rebuilds them in a way that causes you to see the music in a fresh, new way -- i.e. his remixes of Marvin Gaye's "I Want You" and Ross' "Tenderness."

I consider it quite a distinction that for this project he has focused entirely on Teena Marie. The breadth of her talent has been underrated. In some ways, the world was not ready for her. However, I think 2021 is even less hospitable to female ARTISTS and MUSICIANS than 1981. But it's a great year to be a pole dancer who can use autotune. So maybe 2081 will be ready for a Teena Marie.

I purchased this album without hesitation, mainly because John has done some amazing remix work with Teena [to say nothing about other classic artists]. He respects the original source material, brings out new vocals and different elements, yet freshens them up in new and unexpected ways. I did notice that a couple of the tracks on this set had been released in the past few years [in different edits], but it's such an awesome compilation overall, and he treats Teena's music with the love and respect that a superstar like Lady T deserved.