[REMOVE ADS]

changing album art and pictures

everyone comments about how terrible the "weed" cover is, or the lazy graphics on GH3 or Dynamite. Then there's the old image of DMF on Sing R&H, the afro pic issue with NW.

how would you change some of their album? would you use different pics and which ones?

or what about some of the cancelled albums that never got cover art? what would you do?

The only album covers of theirs that I would change are MERRY CHRISTMAS and GREATEST HITS VOL. 3.

For a holiday album, the cover of MC is very bland. They didn't even take the time to color in the ornaments. And with all of the photo sessions that the girls did, to use two-year old photos on both the front and back of GH VOL. 3 was ridiculous.

I must also mention that as much as I like the cover photos on FLOY JOY, its white cover is a prime surface for ringwear.

Interesting topic for discussion, sup_fan!

My least favourite album covers are Sing Country, Western and Pop and Touch. For CW&P, the photo of the ladies on the cover is a bit too small. I would perhaps keep the design elements the same, but just re-arrange everything to allow for the photo to be the center point and much larger.

In regards to Touch, as much as I like the colourful rainbow backdrop, having it with that black and white photo of JMC just doesn't do it for me. It's a nice photo, but the combo of that pic with the rainbow is not my favourite. Lol. If it had been a colour photo, perhaps I would like that cover more. Or if they could have given the album cover an iridescent shiny finish, like I've seen them do with some modern CD covers. Maybe even making the b&w photo more of a sepia tone would have been good, like they did with the mock-up version that was used in the Dreamgirls movie promotional materials.

Although, I should say that the Touch cover looks the least dated, from a design standpoint, out of all of the Supremes' album covers.

I don't mind the Jimmy Webb weed cover. A photo of JML would have been better for sure, but that weed doesn't drive me up the wall, like it does for others.
    Last edited by carlo; 04-20-2022 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Interesting topic for discussion, sup_fan!

Although, I should say that the Touch cover looks the least dated, from a design standpoint, out of all of the Supremes' album covers.

I don't mind the Jimmy Webb weed cover. A photo of JML would have been better for sure, but that weed doesn't drive me up the wall, like it does for others.
    Stylistically, a gladioli might have worked better in lending the shot more colour and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Stylistically, a gladioli might have worked better in lending the shot more colour and personality.
    Yes, true...something more elegant than that weed

i've been trying to upload photos for my post on how I'd change NW and other albums but keep getting an error message about the size of the images. i don't know if it's outdated settings here on the forum or user error. oh well

for NW, i agree with the idea of the afro shot for the cover. but i do love how motown invested in a gatefold cover with intricate die cuts. i'd still do that but the afro pic would be the outer cover and the die cuts would reveal the title "Stone Love The Supremes" on the inner cover.

when you'd open it up, the inner two panels would have lots of pics of the group. mind boggling that motown bothered to do a gatefold but then had nothing in it for fans to see. completely wasted. on the left panel i'd have those pink feather individual portraits of the girls that we got on the actual cover. love Jean's expression and fierce, powerful look!! then include their signature and maybe a short bio on each girl. this new lineup was still NEW and so i think they needed to continue to reinforce who was who.

then on the right panel it would be a collage of pics of the girls. pics backstage, pics on stage, pics rehearsing on the Smokey special, studio pics, etc.

finally the back cover art would be that outdoor pic of them in the green fringe with C and M arms out stretched, the sunlight hitting behind them and Jean looking up into the sky. I realize that from a timing perspective, they prob didn't have these outfits yet since i think they debuted on the Tom Jones show. but i love the pic and the outdoor setting is perfect

I didn't mind the Jimmy Webb cover either. The 'Cream of the Crop' album cover came across as too 'cold' in its glossy appearance. The closeup photo of Diana did not capture her beauty at all but made her look rather clownish to me. The cover [[photos, graphics, appearance) seems to have been thrown together. I would have gone with the ladies wearing something less colorful as those TCB gowns...may those beaded gowns from their "Forever Came Today" Ed Sullivan appearance which the 70s group eventually used on an album cover.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yes, true...something more elegant than that weed
    Im so glad you agree. I almost said daffodil, but changed my mind at the last minute.
    I think the close up of Diana on Cream Of The Crop was unnecessary. It screams i’m the only one that matters and is simply to large. I’ve never been overly keen on the background colour either.
    I actually like the artwork on High Energy, though I know quite a few don’t.

i like the artwork for HE too! i do think the big Mary head picture on the back those is nearly as off putting as the mega head of Diana on Cream lol

I don't mind the Webb album cover. It's different and I like the colors used as it was trying to show the Supremes going in a direction that was trying to fit the times on the pop market.

Yeah, those big close ups of Diana on Cream of the Crop and Mary on back of High Energy are evidence of egos running amuck, even if either lady had no say in the matter.

Some years ago in one of the groups or here, someone remarked about the Let Sunshine In cover to the effect that Diana looks like a bowling pin and Mary and Cindy are the bowling balls. Now that's a cover that screams "Diana is the only one that matters!".

Love child is a great cover. As is MSS. Front and back.

in terms of the opposite of this initial post, my FAV album art is:

MS&S - both front and back. truly stunning, so current and sexy. perfect for the material contained within

A Go Go - front. love the casual look and the trendy contemporary outfits. perfect fit for the dance themed album. although i always thought the back cover was a bit lazy and non-descript

WDOLG - so elegant. stunning

TOTT - other than it's just a tad too zoomed in and Cindy is a little chopped off on the left. but you couldn't ask for a Supremes gown that better represented the energy and movement of the group on stage. the girls all look amazing. back cover images were too grainy and poor image quality though

Floy Joy - love the look. the all white with just the pops of red.

I think when the head is as large a small football it kind of messes with the general aesthetics lol. The ‘Together’ album is another one could point the finger at. It’s not quite as looming as COTC, but rather large all the same.

Copa. hated this cover shot. of all photos . dianas big wig lol
    merry christmas was a bit lack luster some color would be nice
    sing rogers and Hart loved it
    we remember sam . cheap
    country ,cheap
    cream of the crop.diana s big head over the group. wow ,how about just a group cover
    touch, no rainbow needed