[REMOVE ADS]

Did You Read The Morning Paper

OMG, I just heard Did You Read The Morning Paper for the first time in 40+ years. What a real treat it was. It is rare for me to hear a Ross song that I have not heard at least a thousand times. This song is so different than anything else she had recorded. I liked it then and maybe even more today.

Always loved this song

Loved anything and everything Ashford and Simpson did with Diana Ross. A & S could do no wrong with so many artists including Chaka Khan and Gladys Knight.

Always my least favourite song from a wonderful album. The production is great and Diana’s voice has never sounded better. It’s the lyrics for me. Even as young kid I thought they were a ‘tad cheesy.
    Its still a good song when all is said and done, i just think there are better tracks to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Always my least favourite song from a wonderful album. The production is great and Diana’s voice has never sounded better. It’s the lyrics for me. Even as young kid I thought they were a ‘tad cheesy.
    Its still a good song when all is said and done, i just think there are better tracks to be had.

I really like the track, and I did from the first time I heard the intro, however, like you, the lyrics make me cringe. In my senior English class in high school, we had to take a song that we thought had deep meaning and do a presentation on it and it was going to be a third of our grade, and this girl that gave me the creeps did it did you read the morning paper. I don’t know what grade she got, but I did strange fruit and got an A. Most of the kids in my class had never heard of it. I was however really glad that at least another person I knew had the surrender album, because I only knew one other person that had it and so many had the first two.

Don't get this at all - yes, good performance from Diana but a tad dreary track on a generally good album which deserved to do a lot better.

I was amazed when Bluebrock said that this was considered for release as a single in the UK - at that time anything Diana released would have charted here but I doubt it would have gone very high.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Don't get this at all - yes, good performance from Diana but a tad dreary track on a generally good album which deserved to do a lot better.

I was amazed when Bluebrock said that this was considered for release as a single in the UK - at that time anything Diana released would have charted here but I doubt it would have gone very high.
    i’ve always felt kind of left out because I never thought this album was so great like everyone else does. I knew when I first listened to it it wasn’t going to hit, I thought remember me was amazing, surrender wasn’t all that radio friendly and reach out I’ll be there took so long to takeoff, and it was such a downer at the beginning that sounds like a dirge. There are certainly some facts I love on the album, but I didn’t hear much in the way of commercial appeal. I love all the befores , and the only other song that I thought might have some potential as a single was I can’t get back the love. I remember sitting in the living room listening to it the first time waiting and waiting for that sure fire hit sound, like the first time I heard ain’t no mountain high enough. Even with the prior album, I thought I’m still waiting and doobe doodn doobe were singles that could hit. I wasn’t sure if I wanted the ladder to actually go out onto the radio because of the novelty of it, it might have ultimately not been the best thing - but I did hear radio potential.

When I got the 45 of surrender, I liked it better than that tepid album mix, and reach out I’ll be there, re-edited, might have fared better.