[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross UKTour cancelled?

It has just been announced that Glastonbury festival has been cancelled for the second year running, will this mean that Diana Ross will also cancel her UK tour this summer?

I really wish Diana would pull the plug on it - the Promoters only want to hold on to the money.

There's really no way they can take place and Diana shouldn't put herself even at the slightest risk.

Just maybe she could have a word in someone's ear to do The Royal Variety performance which has an outside chance of going ahead!

Of course it will be cancelled - just taking a little time.

Truly, it seems this could be the end of the road for touring for artists Diana's age.

The tour was unofficially cancelled before Christmas. That was when i was told of it's cancellation, but those greedy promoters are not willing to confirm this until they are legally obliged to do so.
    They want to hold on to the fan's money for as long as possible. It is most unethical, but sadly they are working within the law.
    Ms Ross will no doubt come out with some gushing statement telling fans how disappointed she is to postpone the tour again, and then we will get the rescheduled dates for 2022 and so on and so forth.
    I feel for the fans who are being taken for a ride.

New Music

Do you think new music will be released without a tour in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Of course it will be cancelled - just taking a little time.

Truly, it seems this could be the end of the road for touring for artists Diana's age.
    Unfortunately I agree. Some who need the $ will go back out again, but the inactive months/years in between will certainly take a toll on their abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Unfortunately I agree. Some who need the $ will go back out again, but the inactive months/years in between will certainly take a toll on their abilities.
    I hope Diana does what is best for her health and wellbeing. She loves the stage, but she loves her family much more and she should think long and hard before agreeing to rescheduling the dates. I will be happy with her decision so long as she is happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The tour was unofficially cancelled before Christmas. That was when i was told of it's cancellation, but those greedy promoters are not willing to confirm this until they are legally obliged to do so.
    They want to hold on to the fan's money for as long as possible. It is most unethical, but sadly they are working within the law.
    I submitted a refund request to Ticketmaster via their website on Thursday stating I couldn't make the rescheduled date in 2021 [[even though we know the date has been cancelled). I received a full refund in my bank account today, they actually deducted the £2.50 handling fee. Result.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I submitted a refund request to Ticketmaster via their website on Thursday stating I couldn't make the rescheduled date in 2021 [[even though we know the date has been cancelled). I received a full refund in my bank account today, they actually deducted the £2.50 handling fee. Result.
    That was good news to receive i'm sure. Good work. Maybe an official announcement is not too far away.......

I hope Diana does what is best for her health and wellbeing. She loves the stage, but she loves her family much more and she should think long and hard before agreeing to rescheduling the dates. I will be happy with her decision so long as she is happy with it.
    I think it's time for the lady [[and perhaps more performers of her generation) to quietly re-enter a private life. They "owe" us nothing at this point in their lives. As much as I would have loved to see another live performance and perhaps a new lp, personally, I feel it somewhat selfish to presume we are "owed" something by the performers we love.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I think it's time for the lady [[and perhaps more performers of her generation) to quietly re-enter a private life. They "owe" us nothing at this point in their lives. As much as I would have loved to see another live performance and perhaps a new lp, personally, I feel it somewhat selfish to presume we are "owed" something by the performers we love.
    I agree. Ms Ross has given so much to me on both a professional and personal basis, and it would be most selfish of me to "demand" anything more. My main wish for her is to remain happy, healthy and safe. I do not need to travel around the UK and indeed the world with her anymore to get my fix. Been there, done that, read the book, seen the film, bought the t-shirt. My cherished memories of those wonderful days will stay with me forever. She owes us precisely nothing. We can re-live concerts on youtube and listen to the music via numerous mediums. Must we demand more than that from Ms Ross?
    We all have our own personal memories and highlights to look back on. Let us be grateful for that. We have been truly blessed to have been entertained by her for so many fabulous decades.

I agree. She owes us nothing and I would be happy with whatever she decides to do in the future. Up until this point, it sounds like she has continued with performing not out of a feeling of obligation or necessity, but rather because of her own love for the stage and for her audience. It will be interesting to see what happens, once this pandemic is finally over. I would not be surprised if we see more artists from her generation enter retirement, but regardless of our speculation, the decision remains with her and I'm sure she will make the right one. She's always had her priorities in check when it comes to her family and career. She wouldn't keep touring if it no longer made sense to do so. I wish her continued happiness and good health.

Moving a little beyond being grateful, i think now might be is the right time for her to retire. If the new album is as bad as Bluebrock reports, then I would rather she left on a high then to bad reviews. Having said that, the stage is a powerful drug and one i personally believe Diana would find hard to relinquish.....She will return.

I only became a huge Diana fan 10 years ago, so I have never had the excitement of a new Diana album coming out or to see her live. I had tickets to see her in London last summer and I was beyond excited to see her for the first [[and probably only) time.

Artists are currently re-scheduling their tours to 2022 [[both The Weeknd and Pet Shop Boys made their announcements today). Surely official announcement for Diana should be here very soon.

Does anyone know if she was indeed supposed to appear on [[the now cancelled) Glastonbury 2021? I wonder if she is still being considered for next year...

I also wonder what will happen with the forthcoming UK TV documentaries and the expanded CD´s of her 1989-1999 albums. Everything would have tied in perfectly with the UK tour and Glastonbury.

The main thing is safety though, of course, and whatever happens with the tour I just hope that Miss Ross will stay safe, happy and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    I only became a huge Diana fan 10 years ago, so I have never had the excitement of a new Diana album coming out or to see her live. I had tickets to see her in London last summer and I was beyond excited to see her for the first [[and probably only) time.

Artists are currently re-scheduling their tours to 2022 [[both The Weeknd and Pet Shop Boys made their announcements today). Surely official announcement for Diana should be here very soon.

Does anyone know if she was indeed supposed to appear on [[the now cancelled) Glastonbury 2021? I wonder if she is still being considered for next year...

I also wonder what will happen with the forthcoming UK TV documentaries and the expanded CD´s of her 1989-1999 albums. Everything would have tied in perfectly with the UK tour and Glastonbury.

The main thing is safety though, of course, and whatever happens with the tour I just hope that Miss Ross will stay safe, happy and healthy.
    I have my doubts as to whether she will appear at Glastonbury in 2022. The UK tour is likely to be rescheduled once it is officially cancelled which i am told is imminent.
    The Diana Ross at the BBC music special is likely to be broadcast later this year, and i suspect the CH5 Documentary will also be broadcast sometime in 2021. There appears to be little point in holding them back now that we know it is most unlikely she will be visiting the UK anytime soon.

The Pet Shop Boys British tour scheduled for 2020 was changed to summer 2021. Yesterday, it was again pushed back to summer 2022. Does that suggest other acts will not perform in England until 2022?
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-04-2021 at 07:51 AM.

I have my doubts as to whether she will appear at Glastonbury in 2022. The UK tour is likely to be rescheduled once it is officially cancelled which i am told is imminent.
    The Diana Ross at the BBC music special is likely to be broadcast later this year, and i suspect the CH5 Documentary will also be broadcast sometime in 2021. There appears to be little point in holding them back now that we know it is most unlikely she will be visiting the UK anytime soon.
    At least that’s a little good news Bluebrock. The At The BBC documentary’s appear to be rather good. I watched the one on Cilla Black the other night and it featured a couple of songs i had never heard before. I really look forward to the one featuring Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    At least that’s a little good news Bluebrock. The At The BBC documentary’s appear to be rather good. I watched the one on Cilla Black the other night and it featured a couple of songs i had never heard before. I really look forward to the one featuring Diana.
    It will be a good one Ollie. There is one rare performance still awaiting clearance which will be well worth seeing. I have been pushing for her Pebble Mill performance of "Gone" to be included but i am told it was not a big enough hit with the general public to warrant inclusion. We are still having heated discussions!

It will be a good one Ollie. There is one rare performance still awaiting clearance which will be well worth seeing. I have been pushing for her Pebble Mill performance of "Gone" to be included but i am told it was not a big enough hit with the general public to warrant inclusion. We are still having heated discussions!
    It would be great if there were the odd rarity featured. I didn’t know about the Pebble Mill performance of “Gone”. I have seen a live performance of the song in France [[i think) and thought she struggled a little with it.
    The BBC programme on Dusty was also rather good.

I've only heard her sing it live once, there was a show in Birmingham that was sponsored by Twix, [[ I think) she headlined, with Soul to Soul, and Chris Cross as support, she opened with Take me Higher, and wasn't happy and 're started the show, she had just released Gone as a single, and it scraped into the top 40, the show was filmed for a tv show I think they only showed one song from Diana Ross set.

I'd love to see it on the Diana Ross at BBC show Blue Brock
    It's an underrated song .

It would be great if there were the odd rarity featured. I didn’t know about the Pebble Mill performance of “Gone”. I have seen a live performance of the song in France [[i think) and thought she struggled a little with it.
    The BBC programme on Dusty was also rather good.
    She did a great performance of it on Pebble Mill. She was on fire that day and really nailed it. I still have the performance on an old vhs tape, but i haven't played in over 20 years.
    I don't recall the performance in France.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 02-04-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    I'd love to see it on the Diana Ross at BBC show Blue Brock
    It's an underrated song .
    Very much so. Sadly the BBC want just the big hits to be featured which is perfectly understandable, but it would be nice if they could dig a little deeper and include some fan favourites.

Understandably to have the mass appeal, let's be grateful for any exposure for Ms Ross and any Motown Artists. Still have to look on you tube for that pebble mill performance of Gone thanks for the heads up

Oh I hope we get to see this in the US my dear Bluebrock. As for Miss Ross touring, if its real safe and she feels like it do it. If she dont then thats okay too. Family has always been first for our great lady.

I sigh when I think of what could have been at Glastonbury plus all these TV Specials in the lead-up

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Understandably to have the mass appeal, let's be grateful for any exposure for Ms Ross and any Motown Artists. Still have to look on you tube for that pebble mill performance of Gone thanks for the heads up
    Is this it?

Lovely. I always enjoy her sexy lower register, in this song and performance contrasting nicely with the lilting high notes. I would have loved hearing this live.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Is this it?

No it's not.
    The performance i refer to was a live studio performance. It was on a UK show called Pebble Mill at One. She also chatted with the host Ross King. I was with her for the day. This performance is maybe the less than stellar performance Ollie mentioned in France. I agree she does not sound good here. I shall have to climb into my loft to retrieve the vhs tape.

No it's not.
    The performance i refer to was a live studio performance. It was on a UK show called Pebble Mill at One. She also chatted with the host Ross King. I was with her for the day. This performance is maybe the less than stellar performance Ollie mentioned in France. I agree she does not sound good here. I shall have to climb into my loft to retrieve the vhs tape.
    This is indeed the one Bluebrock. Not really a good performance from Diana this. She appears to struggle with breath control and her voice disappears altogether on some of those lower notes.
    Would loved to have seen the PB performance if its as good as you mentioned. “Gone” is such a pretty song, but probably not best choice for a single.

“Gone” is a great song. But it is not the kind of song that sounds good live. This song is more like a “vibe”. Great for listening on the radio, on CD etc. But the structure of the song itself doesn’t work in a live setting . IMO. I’d be curious to see this other performance.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    “Gone” is a great song. But it is not the kind of song that sounds good live. This song is more like a “vibe”. Great for listening on the radio, on CD etc. But the structure of the song itself doesn’t work in a live setting . IMO. I’d be curious to see this other performance.
    I love the song but I was very surprised that it was released as the second single. I would have gone with IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT and VOICE OF THE HEART. Then, if there was still life in the album, I might have pulled GONE.

“Gone” is such a pretty song, but probably not best choice for a single.
    Exactly, the ballads on TMH were much too sophisticated for the mainstream UK public.

The only one which might have done well was Voice Of The Heart but that would have depended on a good amount of radio airplay.

When i find the time and strength to climb into my loft i shall undertake a search for the tape. I also have a few other rare performances up there which i haven't seen for many years.

When i find the time and strength to climb into my loft i shall undertake a search for the tape. I also have a few other rare performances up there which i haven't seen for many years.
    Have you, or will you upload these rare appearances on YouTube?

Have you, or will you upload these rare appearances on YouTube?
    I haven't done as yet because i need to spend time sorting through the tapes. When i get around to doing that i shall ask my grandson to do the technical work!

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Exactly, the ballads on TMH were much too sophisticated for the mainstream UK public.

The only one which might have done well was Voice Of The Heart but that would have depended on a good amount of radio airplay.
    I thought “Voice Of The Heart” was released as a single in the UK/USA Florence. I certainly remember her singing it live on the Des O’Connor show.
    As with “Gone”, l think it a pretty ballad, but not a massive chart contender.
    I would have released “Don’t Stop” , complete with rap as the second single.
    I luv it.

GONE seemed an odd choice to open the show with. An unknown ballad , with such a large catalogue of favorites to pull from? Hook 'em right from the start I say , then you can putz around some later in the show with stuff like this .

To sing that right off , her voice isn't relaxed yet , isn't ready for it. She's off from the first note.

Is this it?

This actually doesn't sound as off as I remembered. I can remember receiving a copy from the fan club and not being impressed. Maybe it takes a few listens.

What’s off is the sound. The backing track is low. I’m sure the actual broadcast sounded better.

I thought “Voice Of The Heart” was released as a single in the UK/USA Florence. I certainly remember her singing it live on the Des O’Connor show.
    As with “Gone”, l think it a pretty ballad, but not a massive chart contender.
    I would have released “Don’t Stop” , complete with rap as the second single.
    I luv it.
    It was not an A side in the UK. If i recall correctly it was on the cd single of I will survive, but she did indeed perform it on UK tv. I thought it was on The National Lottery show, but it may have been on Des O'Connor too. She loved that song.

Has GONE a bit of similarity to:

It was not an A side in the UK. If i recall correctly it was on the cd single of I will survive, but she did indeed perform it on UK tv. I thought it was on The National Lottery show, but it may have been on Des O'Connor too. She loved that song.
    It was Des O'Connor show she performed "Voice Of The Heart" not a favourite song of mine but I was impressed

Anyone who saw Diana in concert around this time, would tell you how “Voice of the heart” was a showstopper.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    It was Des O'Connor show she performed "Voice Of The Heart" not a favourite song of mine but I was impressed
    Thank you for the clarification. i seem to recall booking her on the National Lottery Show around the same time, but perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me.

Bluebrock - this might jog your memory [[which is incredible already) - she sang on a sparse set with roman style columns and draped fabric in the background that was def Des oconnor show didnt know she did the Lottery

I'd forgotten about Voice Of The Heart being on the I Will Survive CD along with two remixes of Survive - but very few would even have heard the track - odd of her to sing it on Des O'Connor - I don't remember that either.

She sang Survive on the National Lottery - which got good viewing figures - the Saturday before the single was released on Monday which I thought would see it come straight into the top 10.

It was a big diappointment when it only entered at #14 and then quickly dropped - maybe the UK public just continued to associate the song with Gloria Gaynor.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Bluebrock - this might jog your memory [[which is incredible already) - she sang on a sparse set with roman style columns and draped fabric in the background that was def Des oconnor show didnt know she did the Lottery
    I will have to consult my journals which my grandson is in the process of transfering to a digital format. He is currently stranded in Australia and unable to return to the UK until the end of March at the very earliest so i am a little isolated until he can return.
    She did the Des O'Connor show around 5 times during the 90's, but she also performed on the Lottery show a handful of times. It was a whirlwind of activity during the 90's and so it is perhaps a little understandable that i cannot recall everything without relying on my journals.
    Thank you for the compliment regarding my memory. I wish it was as sharp as it once was, but i guess we are coming up to 30 years ago when all this activity took place.
    Where did the time go?