[REMOVE ADS]

Cher on Diana Ross

Cher wrote the introduction to Leonard pitts jr 1983 biography on Ross _

" Diana has lots of close friends,but you know what ? Young as they are,her kids are her closest Friends.She had a lot of guts having that many only a year or so apart. Diana needs her kids. they're her rock,her anchor. They are really what it is all about for her. Only her kids can cure that special loneiness. And dont let all the noise fool you, she's got the lonelies, too.You Cant be that big and escape them.
    I first met Diana Ross in 1965. and i couldnt stand the broad. No matter how many times we were introduced. she couldnt remember my name. But friends kept saying if we ever sat down and rapped, we'd like each other. i doubted it. But the time came when we did sitdown. And let me tell you why I love Diana. She's a funky, get-down broad. Like me, she is very complex person. Before EST, she couldnt take any criticism. She'd go into herself, withdraw. Then she would punish herself with it. No more. Now she listens,evaluates, takes what she thinks is benefical, and dumps the rest where it belongs. then, too Diana alwats feared people were trying to invade her armour. Not that you could. Before EST, the chick wore a breast plate that was a foot and a half thick. Now alot of diana's defenses have come crumbling down. Shes's a very outfront person. And shes ok with herself. Freer. People cant hurt her like they used to.
    Its hard for a man to be married to one of us gals.The bread we earn, the adoartion we get. Man, you gotta think of the guy. Hes raised to be the provider, and a chick like Diana dosent need anyone to provide for her. Then, too,women like Diana and me are selfish. When you dwell on yourself as we do, when you have people fawning all over you 24 hours a day telling you how 'divine' you are, Its hard to come off that pedestal, to be some mans little woman when the world is screaming "star" at you.
    Alot of people want from Diana without knowing what it is they really want.Some even think they love her- some do - just as many resent her and her success. Thats true of all us alleycats who leave our alleys in the slums and amke it to Beverly Hills. The Jealousy can kill you, and what you've got."
    Last edited by nomis; 01-18-2021 at 01:23 PM.

I bought Pitts' book REACH OUT: THE DIANA ROSS STORY when it came out in 1983.

If I remember correctly, Cher didn't actually write an introduction. Her statements were a series of quotes were taken from an interview she had done long before and used as an introduction. By 1983, I'm not sure if Diana and Cher were as close as they had been previously.

I've always said that some people come in your lives for a short time and some never leave. Diana and Cher were definitely headed in different directions but probably learned a lot from each other along the way especially in the 60's. Always felt the same thing about Mary and Diana.

Does any know if the 5 CD release of Sonny and Cher contains the SUPREMES appearance on them ?
    Name:  81AmuiTXNpL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  81.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I've always said that some people come in your lives for a short time and some never leave. Diana and Cher were definitely headed in different directions but probably learned a lot from each other along the way especially in the 60's. Always felt the same thing about Mary and Diana.

Does any know if the 5 CD release of Sonny and Cher contains the SUPREMES appearance on them ?
    Name:  81AmuiTXNpL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  81.6 KB
    The 1972 Supremes appearance is included.

whats Marlo Thomas doing on those CDs

I think it's fair to say they knew each other well on a personal basis.

Thanks
    I was able to purchase at a Walmart for $29.00. I enjoy Cher and of course Sonny [[RIH)
    but, I was no big fan of the show.

That is a wonderful introduction. Was it true about the whole Diana Ross/Gene Simmons/Cher debacle?

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    That is a wonderful introduction. Was it true about the whole Diana Ross/Gene Simmons/Cher debacle?
    Only three people really know. Diana, Cher and Simmons. Frankly , its real old news that nobody should really care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Only three people really know. Diana, Cher and Simmons. Frankly , its real old news that nobody should really care about.
    Most of the information on this board is "old news and old information " nobody here knew until people close to these people confirmed it and gave us new information. Why is this any different? We know Moss Ross' personal thoughts on some interviewers, some things that went on in her personal life, and a whole host of other things. Now, all of a sudden we should not care about old news?

I recently saw a picture of Gene, Diana, Cher, and an unknown man on what looks to be a double date.

I posted this last year.

I saw this on facebook. No link to the actual article, as it was a picture of the page/interview. It appears to be from Attitude magazine. Speculation can end, because this is what Cher said in her own words.

Q: Is it true you fell out with Diana Ross after you had a drag queen doing an impersonation of her in one of your shows? Or was it because she stole Gene Simmons from you?

A: It was neither. I wasn't going out with Gene when they met. But when they were first together, me and Gene were still really good friends and I think Diana didn't feel comfortable with it. I've seen her several times since all that and we get on fine. It can be difficult though when an old girlfriend is still best friends with your boyfriend. And I was living in the same house when they were going out together too. He bought this apartment off me and I was still living there with the kids when Diana was going out with him. I think Diana didn't like that and I can see why.

My take: Seems like Diana was the one that was mad, and cooled on their friendship

Diana to Andy Warhol - " Cher would go to the opening of a hot dog stand !"

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Diana to Andy Warhol - " Cher would go to the opening of a hot dog stand !"
    Diana said this when her star was ascendant and Cher's career was in somewhat of a lull.

I wonder what unkind things Cher could have said about Miss Ross when positions were well and truly reversed 5-15 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Diana said this when her star was ascendant and Cher's career was in somewhat of a lull.

I wonder what unkind things Cher could have said about Miss Ross when positions were well and truly reversed 5-15 years later.
    Indeed I have 'heard of' a less-than-kind statement or two that Cher supposedly made about Diana, and I find this an appropriate time to quote one bit of Motown philosophical advice: "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear". And ... Andy Warhol would be just about the last person on earth that I would tend to believe anyway. Can one really trust an artist who signs his name to work that others have created?

What like Motown selling artists to the public but the adantes were actually singing ? Isn't that a bit like Andy signing someone else's work ?

Cher wrote the introduction to Leonard pitts jr 1983 biography on Ross _

" Diana has lots of close friends,but you know what ? Young as they are,her kids are her closest Friends.She had a lot of guts having that many only a year or so apart. Diana needs her kids. they're her rock,her anchor. They are really what it is all about for her. Only her kids can cure that special loneiness. And dont let all the noise fool you, she's got the lonelies, too.You Cant be that big and escape them.
    I first met Diana Ross in 1965. and i couldnt stand the broad. No matter how many times we were introduced. she couldnt remember my name. But friends kept saying if we ever sat down and rapped, we'd like each other. i doubted it. But the time came when we did sitdown. And let me tell you why I love Diana. She's a funky, get-down broad. Like me, she is very complex person. Before EST, she couldnt take any criticism. She'd go into herself, withdraw. Then she would punish herself with it. No more. Now she listens,evaluates, takes what she thinks is benefical, and dumps the rest where it belongs. then, too Diana alwats feared people were trying to invade her armour. Not that you could. Before EST, the chick wore a breast plate that was a foot and a half thick. Now alot of diana's defenses have come crumbling down. Shes's a very outfront person. And shes ok with herself. Freer. People cant hurt her like they used to.
    Its hard for a man to be married to one of us gals.The bread we earn, the adoartion we get. Man, you gotta think of the guy. Hes raised to be the provider, and a chick like Diana dosent need anyone to provide for her. Then, too,women like Diana and me are selfish. When you dwell on yourself as we do, when you have people fawning all over you 24 hours a day telling you how 'divine' you are, Its hard to come off that pedestal, to be some mans little woman when the world is screaming "star" at you.
    Alot of people want from Diana without knowing what it is they really want.Some even think they love her- some do - just as many resent her and her success. Thats true of all us alleycats who leave our alleys in the slums and amke it to Beverly Hills. The Jealousy can kill you, and what you've got."
    This comes across as honest and rather revealing. I can certainly relate to certain aspects of it in my own life. I agree with captain in that they probably learnt a little from each other.
    I would like to think they buried the hatchet at some point in time. Life is to short.

What like Motown selling artists to the public but the adantes were actually singing ? Isn't that a bit like Andy signing someone else's work ?
    I agree with you there, Nomis, and received quite a tad o' criticism for saying so a year or two back! Howevs, I would still believe anything Andy Warhol said even less than I believe in his completely natural hair

Diana seems like the kind of person to me where once you cross a line with her, there's no going back. I'm actually the same way but I recognize it as a huge flaw of mine rather than a positive trait. I think because of Diana becoming a celebrity at such a young age it and the eventual turmoil with the Supremes must have caused some trust issues for her.

Diana Ross' self- confidence is to be admired. Yes, one makes mistakes at certain points of one's life.The secret is to not let your mistakes overwhelm your self confidence or work ethic. Motown taught productivity to its artists in the form of solid showmanship. Every Motown act that I have attended has uplifted me to the joy of life.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Diana seems like the kind of person to me where once you cross a line with her, there's no going back. I'm actually the same way but I recognize it as a huge flaw of mine rather than a positive trait. I think because of Diana becoming a celebrity at such a young age it and the eventual turmoil with the Supremes must have caused some trust issues for her.
    You are 100% correct in what you say.
    You get one chance and one chance only with Ms Ross. Cross that line and you are banished forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Almost all of what we care about regarding Diana Ross is "old news." We talk about albums that were released 40 years ago...

This is all so surreal and a bit funny to me. Didn't Simmons marry Chico Ross' wife sister after his breakup with Diana ?

Quote Originally Posted by jlovelamar View Post
    most of the information on this board is "old news and old information " nobody here knew until people close to these people confirmed it and gave us new information. Why is this any different? We know moss ross' personal thoughts on some interviewers, some things that went on in her personal life, and a whole host of other things. Now, all of a sudden we should not care about old news?
    we will always want to know the t!

In the end it doesn’t really matter love is all that matters love Cher love Diana

I just noticed Cher was trending on Twitter.

Turns out it's her 75th birthday.

She was excitedly tweeting that a biopic is being made of her life story.

Another tweet said she had been messaging "Tracey Ross Ellis - She was the sweetest little girl"