[REMOVE ADS]

Graham Central Station's "Tell Me What It Is"

Never enough of these master musicians, and today LOVING the vocals -

Yes! One of my favorites from Graham Central Station's debut. "Tell Me What It Is" [[like most of Larry Graham's work) has some things in common with Sly Stone's but it has more of a spark that [[IMHO) Sly lost in the mid '70s. Thanks for posting PNH.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes! One of my favorites from Graham Central Station's debut. "Tell Me What It Is" [[like most of Larry Graham's work) has some things in common with Sly Stone's but it has more of a spark that [[IMHO) Sly lost in the mid '70s. Thanks for posting PNH.
    You know, MEd, it's interesting to listen to old favorites after some 'time off'. While listening to the lp this weekend I did indeed see the link to S&tFS more clearly than I did in the past and also thought "Hmmm - this is kinda what a new Sly lp shoulda/coulda sounded like". And - a precursor to Prince. We're lucky to have experienced this great music in real time, aren't we? I just wish I had taken up a friend's request to see GCS live!

I saw GCS live in concert when I was 7 years old. Unforgettable and wild.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    You know, MEd, it's interesting to listen to old favorites after some 'time off'. While listening to the lp this weekend I did indeed see the link to S&tFS more clearly than I did in the past and also thought "Hmmm - this is kinda what a new Sly lp shoulda/coulda sounded like". And - a precursor to Prince. We're lucky to have experienced this great music in real time, aren't we? I just wish I had taken up a friend's request to see GCS live!
    I know what you mean; we're lucky to have experienced the music of GCS in real time [[and that we can always listen to it whenever we want). I did have the pleasure of seeing Larry Graham & Co. a few times between 1995 & 2016 & they were always amazing [[hopefully he'll tour again when the pandemic ends).

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I saw GCS live in concert when I was 7 years old. Unforgettable and wild.
    WOW! What was the venue? Was GCS the main act? I gotta head for the peanut butter 'cause I already have THE JELLIES ...

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    WOW! What was the venue? Was GCS the main act? I gotta head for the peanut butter 'cause I already have THE JELLIES ...
    HA! It was the Savannah Civic Center. They were the headliners, supported by The Brothers Johnson and a third act which escapes me right now [[I'll ask my sister, who still has the ticket stub [!]). GCS used an amazing effect which made the arena rumble like a train at one point, which scared the bejeezus outta me. We had a great time. Thank God we had cool parents.