[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 57
  1. #1

    In 1970, Diana Ross performed for the last time with The Supremes, at a show in Vegas

    Wow. I did not realize that on this date (January 14th) last year it was the 50th Anniversary that Diana performed for the last time with the Supremes. I don't recall a big thing being made of this day last year, not even here. Did we?

    Name:  66160bcc583427f6cd03ce3531b656bd.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  71.0 KB

  2. #2
    i'm guessing we had a post going about it. usually do. this date and then the june 12 farewell with Mary

  3. #3
    I wonder how much interaction Jean and Diana had prior to this? M and C had been recording with her for several sessions, so they certainly knew each other by that point. But Jean and Diana?

  4. #4
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/this-day-in-history-jan-14

    Headline, with picture, yesterday

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Nice. They made it the most important thing that happened on that day

  6. #6
    I have a question. I just listened to Love Child from this recording and I could swear that isn't Mary and Cindy on the backing vocals. Am I imagining this Did Motown doctor these tracks?

  7. #7
    Check the 4827 threads on SDF about that, lol.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I wonder how much interaction Jean and Diana had prior to this? M and C had been recording with her for several sessions, so they certainly knew each other by that point. But Jean and Diana?
    supposedly Diana was helping jean to learn the complex and effervescent style of the supremes lol

    at least according to the press release

  9. #9
    Thanks! I'll check it out

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I have a question. I just listened to Love Child from this recording and I could swear that isn't Mary and Cindy on the backing vocals. Am I imagining this Did Motown doctor these tracks?
    not sure what you're hearing but it sounds like them to me. Although i do get it that throughout the Farewell album, the sound varies on tracks. sometimes M and C are much more present in the mix. My guess is that the pieces were recorded over multiple shows and nights and then pieced together.

    the other explanation (and totally speculating here) is that either they didn't do LC at these shows, they only did once or twice and the recording sucked or some reason they reached back to a prior live show and used that recording.

    also according to Deke, Mary was VERY... playful, shall we say? lol He said she was in rare form that final night. I'm guessing she was ad libbing like crazy, making some tongue-in-cheek snide comments, etc. You can hear a little of that but i'm pretty sure they snipped nearly all of this out.

  11. #11
    I couldn't find the archived thread. Sup--I could be way off on this. I can usually pick out Mary's voice. I just listened to Impossible Dream from this album, and I can clearly hear Mary.

  12. #12
    yeah there are times on Farewell where Cindy is very audible too. Like i said, could be from a different Farewell show or maybe another show altogether. but it's clearly a live stage performance (as opposed to tv performance) and so M and C have to be there

  13. #13
    I guess what I was asking was maybe Motown added voices later. Stranger things have happened

  14. #14
    Wasn't this album recorded over a ten day span at the frontier hotel

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Wasn't this album recorded over a ten day span at the frontier hotel
    I believe the engagement was 10 days but the album was recorded over three nights.

  16. #16
    Sounds like this calls for an expanded edition! I’ve always meant to get this album out and play it again. I think it had a very limited CD release at one time, may be a Japanese issue? I was never real fond of the album. The one side that was devoted to the “hair“ medley to me was too long and I generally skipped that side. But I might come to appreciate it more hearing it again.

    It’d be nice to get the original album remastered as well as perhaps the full final show without the edits and backing vocal enhancements that were added to it if any.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    supposedly Diana was helping jean to learn the complex and effervescent style of the supremes lol

    at least according to the press release
    Uh, huh. And did Diana call on Flo for some added Supreme advice too?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    not sure what you're hearing but it sounds like them to me. Although i do get it that throughout the Farewell album, the sound varies on tracks. sometimes M and C are much more present in the mix. My guess is that the pieces were recorded over multiple shows and nights and then pieced together.
    Yeah, two voices behind Diana and they both belong to Mary and Cindy. Also proof- as far as I'm concerned- that going with the Andantes on "Love Child" was probably the better move, unless it was going to be Mary and Cindy with the Andantes for some added effect.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Sounds like this calls for an expanded edition! I’ve always meant to get this album out and play it again. I think it had a very limited CD release at one time, may be a Japanese issue? I was never real fond of the album. The one side that was devoted to the “hair“ medley to me was too long and I generally skipped that side. But I might come to appreciate it more hearing it again.

    It’d be nice to get the original album remastered as well as perhaps the full final show without the edits and backing vocal enhancements that were added to it if any.
    I'm guessing any plans for a future EE is further down the list, but agree this would make an excellent one because surely there's more to include from the final shows, assuming that there were any additional numbers not included in the original release.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Sounds like this calls for an expanded edition! I’ve always meant to get this album out and play it again. I think it had a very limited CD release at one time, may be a Japanese issue? I was never real fond of the album. The one side that was devoted to the “hair“ medley to me was too long and I generally skipped that side. But I might come to appreciate it more hearing it again.

    It’d be nice to get the original album remastered as well as perhaps the full final show without the edits and backing vocal enhancements that were added to it if any.
    It did have a US release. It was re-titled Captured Live on Stage! It was a 2 CD release.

    Also, the exclamation point was in the title of the CD, I wasn’t yelling. Lol
    Last edited by Deepdishus2001; 01-15-2021 at 11:29 AM.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    supposedly Diana was helping jean to learn the complex and effervescent style of the supremes lol

    at least according to the press release
    Ha! I suppose they were exchanging makeup tips too.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    not sure what you're hearing but it sounds like them to me. Although i do get it that throughout the Farewell album, the sound varies on tracks. sometimes M and C are much more present in the mix. My guess is that the pieces were recorded over multiple shows and nights and then pieced together.

    the other explanation (and totally speculating here) is that either they didn't do LC at these shows, they only did once or twice and the recording sucked or some reason they reached back to a prior live show and used that recording.

    also according to Deke, Mary was VERY... playful, shall we say? lol He said she was in rare form that final night. I'm guessing she was ad libbing like crazy, making some tongue-in-cheek snide comments, etc. You can hear a little of that but i'm pretty sure they snipped nearly all of this out.
    I also imagine a lot of Dom was flowing backstage before the show. Liquid courage?

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Uh, huh. And did Diana call on Flo for some added Supreme advice too?
    No I think it was Tony Tina Turner and Delcina Wilson.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Sounds like this calls for an expanded edition! I’ve always meant to get this album out and play it again. I think it had a very limited CD release at one time, may be a Japanese issue? I was never real fond of the album. The one side that was devoted to the “hair“ medley to me was too long and I generally skipped that side. But I might come to appreciate it more hearing it again.

    It’d be nice to get the original album remastered as well as perhaps the full final show without the edits and backing vocal enhancements that were added to it if any.
    it would great to hear the unedited final night! mary's ad libs and comments

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Wow. I did not realize that on this date (January 14th) last year it was the 50th Anniversary that Diana performed for the last time with the Supremes. I don't recall a big thing being made of this day last year, not even here. Did we?

    Name:  66160bcc583427f6cd03ce3531b656bd.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  71.0 KB

    I really wish a DVD of this show could get released.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I also imagine a lot of Dom was flowing backstage before the show. Liquid courage?
    going off of what we've heard, yes. Mary talks about drinking champagne with Cindy in the dressing room. Randy and some of the other authors also state this.

    Deke was very diplomatic with his discussion of the gig. lol Trying to remember specifically but he did acknowledge that there was considerable stress and pressure on EVERYONE. tension was high. again, he kept it very politically correct but stated that Mary was doing a LOT of goofing off on stage and comments and digs. The impression was that there might have been some particular digs - nothing too blatant that the audience or media would gasp. but she was definitely not just being the "sexy one" in the background. Deke made no mention of what specifically was said or anything. just that it made a HUGE challenge as he was trying to piece things together

  27. #27
    Delcina Wilson: "Cindy!! Consider your waistline!!!" LOL

  28. #28
    It would have been very easy for Mary and Cindy to think the end of the career was close. And then surprisingly, many thanks to Jean, they did pretty well for a couple years

  29. #29
    Deke wrote the following a while back, and Blackguy reposted it a subsequent thread about FAREWELL.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Diana Ross & The Supremes - Farewell:

    I actually recorded the last 3 days, which was 5 or 6 shows. Putting that together was just short of a nightmare. I'd have one night when the girls did a great version of one of the songs, but then Mary would come off with a little 'sharply edged' quip or 2, and I'd have to get it out and then there would be a hole. So I would have to take bits and pieces from another take. If that wasn't bad enough, the audience was different and the applause was different, so I would have to go back to the first take and take the applause from a different part of the show that matched. It was crazy.

    Then there was the night I had to run from the back of the room through the patrons to get backstage to stop Diana. I had just found out the announcer was late and Shelly Berger was on his way to the Casino. So, Bless her heart, Diana had decided it would be a good idea if she introduced herself. WHAT!!! I almost had a heart attack I got backstage just as Diana came out of her dressing room and a stage hand was handing her the microphone. I quickly intercepted the pass. Diana innocently thought it would be 'cool'. I just wasn't going to let her do that. Superstars DON'T introduce themselves. Sorry Di, but it would NOT have been 'cool'. Now, that was a close call.

    I came so close to taking "Age Of Aquarius" out of the LP all together. If there weren't so many stars who decided to sing with Diana, I would have. However, I had to personally go to each one who got up and sang and get their permission to use their sequence on the LP. So I had to make separate tapes of each one's sequence, and get them to sign a waiver. There were more stars that performed with Diana, than you hear on the LP. Unfortunately, they didn't like the way they sounded, so they opted out, some even changed their mind at the last minute. That made putting together a final version of 'Aquarius', a serious challenge.

    Then, there was the real finale: The Last Night. Mary was feeling no pain, and was in rare form as she offered up a nice collection of one liners in response to Diana's on stage dialog. Cindy, occasionally offered giggles of support whenever Mary came off with a real 'zinger'. Most of Mary's 'one liners', were little sharply barbed jabs at Diana. I soon realized I was in 'their' (the girls) world now. It was not my place to say anything. They were going to say whatever they wanted to say, however they wanted to say it. I was just along for the ride. I'm just glad I decided to record those extra shows.

    Nevertheless, for me, It was a labor of love. It was a night for the history books. It was a great time to be alive; a great time for all those people who were lucky enough to be at the Frontier in Las Vegas on January 14, 1970, when Diana Ross And The Supremes performed together for the very last time.

    **Things that were said that night reflect 2 things, in my mind at least; 1) In some ways, I wouldn't doubt the girls felt Diana was about to become a Diva, and leave her "roots" behind, and 2) I'm sure there were years and years of things that were never said. So, after a little of the ol' bubbly, they just popped out.

    **I have to agree with you about "Aquarius". I wish I left it off myself. It worked visually, but is tough to listen to. I know it seems to go on forever. I opened a can of worms with that one.

    **As far as the Video, I don't recall coordinating anything with DCP. If Dick Clark DID shoot any footage, it was arranged independently. This is one CD, I definitely would NOT like to see an EXPANDED version get released. (smile)

    **[Celebs who didn’t give their permission to be included] Gawd, the only one I can recall right this minute is Hugh O'Brian. There were 6 or 7 altogether. Well, I don't blame them. A few couldn't carry a tune and one didn't even know the song, and a couple were a little 'toasted'. Afterall, the drinks and Champagne was flowing freely that night.

  30. #30
    Wow-great info. Mary was being a bad, bad girl! "Forget the F'ing routine!!!"

  31. #31
    Thanks for reposting that.

    I agree that Aquarius is painful and I too do not want an Extended CD of this performance.

  32. #32
    the Aquarius segment hasn't ever really bothered me. of course i rarely listen to it so there's that. lol and god - i certainly wouldn't just play it in the background of a dinner party or with random friends lol.

    i think Aquarius on Farewell works better than the skit segments do on GIT.

  33. #33
    Wilson unprofessional, likkered up, snarky and jealous of Diana? I'm shocked.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Wilson unprofessional, likkered up, snarky and jealous of Diana? I'm shocked.
    Checking to see if Mary ever had a DUI...

  35. #35
    Please calm down, everybody. I am sloppy drunk right now, so I can't point the finger

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Please calm down, everybody. I am sloppy drunk right now, so I can't point the finger
    LOL. Too funny!

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Please calm down, everybody. I am sloppy drunk right now, so I can't point the finger
    You are probably in a better place than the rest of us Bobby!

  38. #38
    4 Supremes on one stage,,,,it would be a long time before that would happen again.

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    4 Supremes on one stage,,,,it would be a long time before that would happen again.
    A truly iconic moment for sure.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    A truly iconic moment for sure.
    YES, I think the next time was when Flo joined the Supremes and then maybe Barbara joined the in Detroit. At least those are the only 3 times I remember.

  41. #41
    Ridiculous, I know, but for many years I would play this album on January 14, at 11:54 pm. I can honestly say that I wish Deke had cut Let The Sunshine down to just a couple of sing alongs - there were too many people! And I also wish it had never been re-released (and released on CD) as Captured Live On Stage! The CD even had a ridiculous sticker that read The Original Dreamgirls!
    Last edited by thommg; 01-22-2021 at 01:31 PM. Reason: additional thought

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Ridiculous, I know, but for many years I would play this album on January 14, at 11:54 pm. I can honestly say that I wish Deke had cut Let The Sunshine down to just a couple of sing alongs - there were too many people! And I also wish it had never been re-released (and released on CD) as Captured Live On Stage! The CD even had a ridiculous sticker that read The Original Dreamgirls!
    Not ridiculous at all! I still do that for Goodman's Carnegie concert, Garland's Carnegie concert, and on Ella's birthday I play all five discs + 45 of the Gershwin songbook. It's quite fitting, I think.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Ridiculous, I know, but for many years I would play this album on January 14, at 11:54 pm.

    ...And I also wish it had never been re-released (and released on CD) as Captured Live On Stage! The CD even had a ridiculous sticker that read The Original Dreamgirls!
    what a great idea! I’ve got to do that sometime.


    I remember that sticker about the original dream girls. Yeah, kind of seems like a cheesy marketing ploy now.

  44. #44
    Not ridiculous, I think its kind of cool.

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Checking to see if Mary ever had a DUI...
    Yikes! Don't do that. We're not allowed to talk about that around here. Stick to Mary and Flo's drinking. Please.

  46. #46
    I've never cared for the Farewell album. I never really cared for the later period of the 60s Supremes that really push Diana out in front and reduce Mary and Flo/Mary and Cindy to essentially set dressings rather than equal partners. I enjoyed some of the Vegas-y/nightclub material but by the end of the Diana-led era their act became too "glitzy" for my taste. On top of that the "extended disco version" of "Aquarius" comes off as gratuitous and a bit self-indulgent. I also feel like they really downplayed their own hits - specifically their early hits that put them on the map - in favor of standards and MOR material. Not my cup of tea and would not care about an extended album.

    Not to open a can of worms, but I'm also curious if anyone had even entertained the thought or discussed the possibility of inviting Florence to the final performance, even if just as a guest in the audience. I can see why not, as that might detract from the focus of the evening with possible rumors and tension (if the story Mary tells about Florence attending a party in 1969 with Berry and Diana in attendance, I would not be surprised if that may have acted as a nail in the coffin of any possibility of bringing Florence back into the picture in any way). It's just sad that Florence was not a part of the farewell in any way. Oh well.

  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I've never cared for the Farewell album. I never really cared for the later period of the 60s Supremes that really push Diana out in front and reduce Mary and Flo/Mary and Cindy to essentially set dressings rather than equal partners. I enjoyed some of the Vegas-y/nightclub material but by the end of the Diana-led era their act became too "glitzy" for my taste. On top of that the "extended disco version" of "Aquarius" comes off as gratuitous and a bit self-indulgent. I also feel like they really downplayed their own hits - specifically their early hits that put them on the map - in favor of standards and MOR material. Not my cup of tea and would not care about an extended album.

    Not to open a can of worms, but I'm also curious if anyone had even entertained the thought or discussed the possibility of inviting Florence to the final performance, even if just as a guest in the audience. I can see why not, as that might detract from the focus of the evening with possible rumors and tension (if the story Mary tells about Florence attending a party in 1969 with Berry and Diana in attendance, I would not be surprised if that may have acted as a nail in the coffin of any possibility of bringing Florence back into the picture in any way). It's just sad that Florence was not a part of the farewell in any way. Oh well.
    I agree about the Farewell set list. Don't know if it was the same set every night for the last engagement. Would be cool to learn what songs didn't make the final album. I think at the end of the DRATS period, having the Vegas material on the album is a no brainer. It represents an important part of their career, transcending the pop category to something broader. However, it has always perturbed me that "Where Did Our Love Go" wasn't on the album. That is probably the single most important record in Supremes history. To not represent it is an egregious omission, IMO. I also thought at least a medley of their early stuff would've made a great addition to the album, something like "Let Me Go the Right Way/Your Heart Belongs to Me/Lovelight/A Breath Taking Guy". And I also think that the album should've combined the Vegas nights and an arena night, possibly include the nightclub material from the final Vegas shows with the hits from an arena show.

    As for Flo, that Dreamgirls type ending would've been nice, but lets be real: Florence wasn't on the minds of any of the principal players that night. Maybe Mary had a passing thought, possibly Diana too, in the form of acknowledging in their own minds of how far their career had come from the early days. Tall Tales Turner conjured up a story about Flo making plans to go to the final show, but I'm 99.99999 percent sure that never happened. If Flo ever did think about it, it would've been from her own desire to go and certainly not because Diana or Mary and definitely not Gordy invited her. As you point out, the last time they all were in the same place it didn't go well and that was about a year and some months before the final show. Berry wasn't having it.

    In a perfect world though, Flo would've been invited to at least attend.

  48. #48
    the last time Flo performed as a Supreme in Vegas, she selfishly nearly ruined the group. coming onto any stage (much less one of the premier Vegas show rooms) drug was inexcusable.

    what if she had fallen down or tripped and fell? or good lord! what if she got sick or ran off the stage and got sick? or what if her "fat is where it's at" stomach gesture had been more noticed by the press or audience - causing gasps, boos and poor reviews? what if she simply took her mic from the stand and ad libbed or went off script?

    if anything worse than what actually happened HAD occurred, the group would have been ruined. it's quite possible the group would have disbanded and diana go solo prematurely. which would mean no Love Child, no duets with Tempts or TCB. no Jean-era 70s material (which is lovely), possibly no superstar career for Diana

    so what deranged mind at motown would ever want to risk repeating this?

  49. #49
    the Farewell lineup really is more reflective of the tastes then. the very late 60s saw the emergence of the rock world and this new generation of record buyers. suddenly you had a teen and college market buying MUCH more albums, wanting new sounds and song, abandoning their parents style. big rock concerts were just starting. it was all new and, of course at the time, no one really knew how much it would grow or last.

    but it was also segregated

    very few black artists were receiving the same broad exposure, unfortunately, with groups like the Beatles, the Who, Bob Dylan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jefferson Airplane, etc. FM rock stations still weren't including nearly as much as they should have

    so the big money that was available at this time was to still play Vegas, Copa, Waldorf, etc. and those showrooms required songs like Big Spender and Tramp

    by the 70s, that really changed. those show rooms were definitely on the decline as that older generation aged out

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the last time Flo performed as a Supreme in Vegas, she selfishly nearly ruined the group. coming onto any stage (much less one of the premier Vegas show rooms) drug was inexcusable.

    what if she had fallen down or tripped and fell? or good lord! what if she got sick or ran off the stage and got sick? or what if her "fat is where it's at" stomach gesture had been more noticed by the press or audience - causing gasps, boos and poor reviews? what if she simply took her mic from the stand and ad libbed or went off script?

    if anything worse than what actually happened HAD occurred, the group would have been ruined. it's quite possible the group would have disbanded and diana go solo prematurely. which would mean no Love Child, no duets with Tempts or TCB. no Jean-era 70s material (which is lovely), possibly no superstar career for Diana

    so what deranged mind at motown would ever want to risk repeating this?
    Okay Sup, let's not get carried away. Had Flo been noticeably drunk she either would've been dismissed- as she was- or Motown would've just had to do damage control. There would not have been any "Flo was drunk! We gotta end the Supremes" talk. As far as I can tell, the reviews for Flo's appearance with the group that last time were great, so how bad could she have been? That's not to shrug off the potential for fallout had things gotten worse, but it's not like Flo went on stage, snatched Diana's mic and then did her own show to the confusion of the audience, making her a liability had she been invited to attend the Farewell show.

    Let's be real, the only real scandal that had the potential to end the Supremes is (a) One of them ended up pregnant with no husband, (b) one of them was outed as gay, (c) possibly some type of racial or sexual scandal (like Mary dating the married Tom Jones). This was the entertainment industry, Vegas no less, drunk stars was not uncommon. True, the Supremes had a certain image and being drunk certainly was not a part of it. But Motown could've spun a drunk Supreme in any number of ways. Lets be real, as far as any of us really know, Diana's "breakdown" in Boston the year before was the result of a bad drug trip, not mental and physical exhaustion, as was reported.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.