[REMOVE ADS]

would these have been HITS for the Supremes?

we know of many songs that were released and [[mostly) were hits for others that were originally intended for the Supremes. and often times the girls did record it but either it was delayed or they recorded after the other artists.

Here are some of those songs

Never Can Say Goodbye - not 100% sure this was absolutely intended for the Sups but Clifton David did write Here Comes the Sunrise for the Sups. the J5 released theirs in March 71, which went to #2. Was it really recorded in June 70?? the Sups recorded their unreleased version in June 71, we believe [[data is missing here). the Sup version is similar to the J5 but a bit more more edge. I think this could have been huge for Jean and the girls. Might have worked as a track on Touch and then it could have maybe been the follow up to Nathan? I'd say it could have gone top 10

This Old Heart of Mine - Isley version recorded in 65 and release Jan 66, going to #12. Sup version is quite faithful [[although recorded in LA so a bit more sterile of sound). Sup version was recorded in April. I think had they not released the Isley version, This Old Heart could have been released following My World and gone top 5, maybe #1.

Do Leave Me This Way - Thelma obviously had a huge hit with this song. So far no DR vocal has been found. had DR recorded this as the f/u to Hangover, it would have gone #1. i think the backing track Thelma used would have still worked for DR although obviously DR wouldn't have quite the gospel sound.

"Never Can Say Goodbye" could've definitely been a huge hit for the Supremes. It's just a fantastic song. I don't think I've ever heard a version I didn't like. And Jean kills it.

"This Old Heart Of Mine", while a favorite album cut of mine, just doesn't give me a lot of confidence that it would've been any bigger than the Isley's version unless HDH had used the same backing track as the Isleys. I don't know why they insisted on giving the Supremes so many LA tracks as opposed to the Funks. Even Tammi T's version is a Hitsville track. The Funks give a song more life than the LA band ever could, IMO. Not that the track to the Supremes' version is bad. Like I said, it's a favorite cut of mine. But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't missing a certain something that the song would've needed to push it the extra mile.

I agree about "Don't Leave Me". No doubt in my mind that following "Hangover", it would've given Diana another #1 hit. No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "Never Can Say Goodbye" could've definitely been a huge hit for the Supremes. It's just a fantastic song. I don't think I've ever heard a version I didn't like. And Jean kills it.

"This Old Heart Of Mine", while a favorite album cut of mine, just doesn't give me a lot of confidence that it would've been any bigger than the Isley's version unless HDH had used the same backing track as the Isleys. I don't know why they insisted on giving the Supremes so many LA tracks as opposed to the Funks. Even Tammi T's version is a Hitsville track. The Funks give a song more life than the LA band ever could, IMO. Not that the track to the Supremes' version is bad. Like I said, it's a favorite cut of mine. But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't missing a certain something that the song would've needed to push it the extra mile.

I agree about "Don't Leave Me". No doubt in my mind that following "Hangover", it would've given Diana another #1 hit. No doubt.
    see i like the Sup version of This Old. it's wonderfully polished. I do agree that the bass is a bit pedestrian. but i think the track sounds more "supreme" than the Isley version.

but both would have worked for the girls. I say mix the two. add the Detroit bass to the LA rest of the track. IMO that would have scored higher than Itching. Itching is an crazy good dance song but This Old is just, all things considered, a better song. the lyrics are stronger, the melody is tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    see i like the Sup version of This Old. it's wonderfully polished. I do agree that the bass is a bit pedestrian. but i think the track sounds more "supreme" than the Isley version.

but both would have worked for the girls. I say mix the two. add the Detroit bass to the LA rest of the track. IMO that would have scored higher than Itching. Itching is an crazy good dance song but This Old is just, all things considered, a better song. the lyrics are stronger, the melody is tighter.
    I would agree with that. There's a polish on the Supremes' version, a brightness if you will, that is absent from the Isleys'. But the Motown sound is all over the Isleys and sort of absent from the Supremes. I love it anyway, but if it were going to be a potential #1, I think it would have to have the Funks.

Without referring to my notes, I think "Love Is Here" is the only non Hitsville #1, isn't it?

It’s the Isley Brothers all the way for me on this one. The Supremes version remains just a little to tame for my taste. Similar to their version of “Broken Hearted” when compared to Ruffin’s.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I would agree with that. There's a polish on the Supremes' version, a brightness if you will, that is absent from the Isleys'. But the Motown sound is all over the Isleys and sort of absent from the Supremes. I love it anyway, but if it were going to be a potential #1, I think it would have to have the Funks.

Without referring to my notes, I think "Love Is Here" is the only non Hitsville #1, isn't it?
    of the classic Sup lineup, yes i think Love Is Here is the only non-"motown" single.

When did motown detroit add the additional studios? we know that Studio A was the basement one at the Hitsville house. but they added others in the city too.

of the classic Sup lineup, yes i think Love Is Here is the only non-"motown" single.

When did motown detroit add the additional studios? we know that Studio A was the basement one at the Hitsville house. but they added others in the city too.
    I think they bought the Golden World studios at some point in the late 60s.

that's what i thought. not sure when it was incorporated into the set up. or when they started using the downtown Detroit office building.

I think various liner notes have said that Stoned Love wasn't recorded in Detroit. but NY maybe?

If I’m correct the instrumental of Stoned Love was done in Detroit but the vocals were done in New York.
    that's what i thought. not sure when it was incorporated into the set up. or when they started using the downtown Detroit office building.

I think various liner notes have said that Stoned Love wasn't recorded in Detroit. but NY maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It’s the Isley Brothers all the way for me on this one. The Supremes version remains just a little to tame for my taste. Similar to their version of “Broken Hearted” when compared to Ruffin’s.
    Totally agree on both counts. That pair of beauties are in my top 5 Motown tracks. Not even Diana Ross's beautiful voice can compete with Ron and Jimmy on those tracks.

The Isley Brothers would definitely be in my top 5. It’s such a joyous, soulful performance that screams Motown. The Supremes version is imo comparatively quite polite and exact. It’s very much the same with “What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted”.
    Ron Isley is for me one of the finest male vocalists in music history. I don’t think Motown ever fully appreciated just what a brilliant group they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The Isley Brothers would definitely be in my top 5. It’s such a joyous, soulful performance that screams Motown. The Supremes version is imo comparatively quite polite and exact. It’s very much the same with “What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted”.
    Ron Isley is for me one of the finest male vocalists in music history. I don’t think Motown ever fully appreciated just what a brilliant group they were.
    Yes he is. The Isleys did not stay at Motown long enough to be fully appreciated, but they recorded a surprisingly lengthy list of tracks during those two years or so.
    Ron is such a versatile vocalist. No-one, but no-one can sing a ballad with the intensity of Ron, and he is equally at home belting out funky gems. One of the all time greats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Totally agree on both counts. That pair of beauties are in my top 5 Motown tracks. Not even Diana Ross's beautiful voice can compete with Ron and Jimmy on those tracks.
    i love Ron's lead but i don't care for the backing vocals. too much head voice. frankly i think an approach more like the Four Tops would have worked better and layer in the Andantes along with the Isley's vocals.