[REMOVE ADS]

Jerry Butler 'One Night Affair'

While we are waiting for a CD release of 'The Spice of Life' -

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    While we are waiting for a CD release of 'The Spice of Life' -

We are likely to be waiting a little while longer i'm afraid. Lots of legal loopholes to negotiate.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  21.1 KB
    This must be a very rare record, as I was regularly sifting through literally millions of 45s during the time this was released, and i never heard it on the radio in Chicago or Los Angeles at the time it was out. This song is my favourite O'Jays' song after they left Imperial Records. And Jerry did a good job on it. I wonder why this release didn't get radio play or chart in Jerry's home town.

Love Jerry Butler's "One Night Affair". I remember hearing it on the air in NYC as well as on The Spice of Life LP back in 1972.

PS: Hope that Universal still has the masters of TSoL so we can have a reissue of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  21.1 KB
    This must be a very rare record, as I was regularly sifting through literally millions of 45s during the time this was released, and i never heard it on the radio in Chicago or Los Angeles at the time it was out. This song is my favourite O'Jays' song after they left Imperial Records. And Jerry did a good job on it. I wonder why this release didn't get radio play or chart in Jerry's home town.
    That's a shock to me that it was not played in Chicago! Here in NJ, in the metro-NYC area, One Night Affair received good airplay on the 2 Newark-based soul music stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Love Jerry Butler's "One Night Affair". I remember hearing it on the air in NYC as well as on The Spice of Life LP back in 1972.

PS: Hope that Universal still has the masters of TSoL so we can have a reissue of the album.
    Yes, as stated before here in NJ the single and some of the lp cuts did indeed receive good airplay. TSoL is one of my last bucket-list cd reissues.

Here is the full Spice Of Life album if you don't have it on vinyl. It is not available on streaming services so I believe this is the only point of access to the album. The album playlist is made up of tracks from various uploads The recording quality is generally good.

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 01-14-2021 at 07:08 AM.

A1. What's So Good About It [[You're My Baby) 4:54 A2. If I Could Remember [[Not Ever Having You) 6:25 A3. I Only Have Eyes For You 3:31 A4. That's The Way It Was [[That's The Way It Is) 4:59 B1. One Night Affair 3:25 B2. A Prayer 3:24 B3. Get On The Case 5:21 B4. So Far Away 5:06 C1. I Need You 5:55 C2. You Can't Always Tell 5:47 C3. Stop Steppin' On My Dreams 3:52 C4. Baby I'm A Want You 3:20 D1. [[They Long To Be) Close To You 4:13 D2. Don't Rip Me Off 4:01 D3. The Masquerade Is Over / Since I Fell For You

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Here is the full Spice Of Life album if you don't have it on vinyl. It is not available on streaming services so I believe this is the only point of access to the album. The album playlist is made up of tracks from various uploads The recording quality is generally good.

This is WONDERFUL! Thanks so much for finding this.

I converted the album and have it in my iPod. I actually was just listening to it the other day

I keep going back to this record as disco's birth [[those string stabs at :56!) !) :

Jerry Butler was working with Gamble and Huff at this same time [[ ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE ) and that's likely how he knew of it to record it three years later under different leadership.