[REMOVE ADS]

Top Female Singers of All Time

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls005303343/

An old list - lots of Motown connections, lots of R & B

As discussed these things can be very subjective but this one is downright laughable, having Mariah Carey at number 57, Barbra Streisand in the 80s and Dolly Parton in the 90s, with a bunch of people no one has ever heard of ahead of them. As for the omissions, I would not even know where to start......Shirley Bassey, Petula Clark, Olivia Newton-John......like I said laughable.

Madonna at #1? LOL!!!! She isn't even a singer, she's a passable vocalist, but to even hint that she is on the same level as Aretha or even Donna Summer is almost laughable. Yes she sold a lot of records and yes she is a good entertainer, but that's about it IMO.Back in the 80's new wave was this exciting groundswell--like something really cool was happening. Then Madonna came along and ruined it

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Madonna at #1? LOL!!!! She isn't even a singer, she's a passable vocalist, but to even hint that she is on the same level as Aretha or even Donna Summer is almost laughable. Yes she sold a lot of records and yes she is a good entertainer, but that's about it IMO.Back in the 80's new wave was this exciting groundswell--like something really cool was happening. Then Madonna came along and ruined it
    Madonna NOT being number one would be laughable! She is the most successful female singer of all time, for starters. Add to that her massive cultural impact along with her groundbreaking music videos and live shows and it should be clear to any serious music fan, regardless if they like Madonna or not, that she should clearly be at the top.

Djesse-- this list doesn't say what the criteria was for those who made it. I'd be fine with Madonna if the list's title was "biggest selling female artist." Sales aside, most of the women on that list could sing Madonna under the table without even trying very hard

I don't think that there was any criteria for this list, other than it's compiler, joud_55 just made a list of his or her favorite female singers. This person has other lists on the site as well such as My Top 20 Most Overrated Films, Greatest Composers Ever.

In the end, any member on that site can make their own list and include whoever they want.

True Reese. I took a look at the whole list and there really is no criteria. It isn't sales. It isn't years in the business. It certainly isn't about singing chops. It sin't about top grossing concerts.

I've not always been keen seeing it, but I believe there is a strong argument that Madonna should be at the top of the list. I believe she is now regarded as the best selling female vocalist of all time - but who really knows for sure.

I always question how "45's" or "singles" get tallied - particularly when you start talking Supremes and other 60's groups or artists.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I've not always been keen seeing it, but I believe there is a strong argument that Madonna should be at the top of the list. I believe she is now regarded as the best selling female vocalist of all time - but who really knows for sure.
    I always take such declarations with a grain of salt.

Recently I could have sworn that they were saying Mariah Carey was the biggest-selling female artist. Then at one point, they were saying it was Barbra Streisand.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. Its only temporary anyway.

Yeah I think strong cases could be made for Whitney, Madonna or Mariah. The fact that these were the last women who were mega popular when people actually still bought music doesn't hurt. Beyonce is on the cusp.

Those are all good suspects to put near the top. And it's true that the biggest sales were in the 90's - at least of hard copies. And now it's very easy to buy a copy but we can't hold them anymore.

Because it's so easy to assert what you would like to believe, I will go with it's Diana and all her 45's with the Supremes and albums with the Supremes should count and all go into the pot and Motown never wanted anyone to know for sure to minimize tax!

Now whether that is verifiably true, we'll need to pass on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I always take such declarations with a grain of salt.

Recently I could have sworn that they were saying Mariah Carey was the biggest-selling female artist. Then at one point, they were saying it was Barbra Streisand.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. Its only temporary anyway.
    Mariah herself [[not surprisingly) has claimed she is the biggest selling female artist of all time. It is in fact, as confirmed by The Guinness Book Of Records, Madonna:

All credit to @Madonna for remaining the Best-selling female recording artist - with over 335 million albums and singles sold, only The Beatles, Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson have sold more records worldwide...

This is obviously one of the many threads [[and lists) that really should be titled "Who do YOU think are the greatest, best or top female singers of all time?" I don't think ANYONE really knows all of the facts or data, which constantly change and evolve.

That said, I agree the Top 5 definitely belong in the Top 10 and I personally agree in the order and ranking of the Top 3. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    This is obviously one of the many threads [[and lists) that really should be titled "Who do YOU think are the greatest, best or top female singers of all time?" I don't think ANYONE really knows all of the facts or data, which constantly change and evolve.

That said, I agree the Top 5 definitely belong in the Top 10 and I personally agree in the order and ranking of the Top 3. IMO
    Well put.

After looking at the list, it can't be based on sales and success only because Billie Holiday couldn't belong in the Top 10 - so it's other factors for this person.

I think Billie Holiday had her greatest success after Diana Ross appeared in Lady Sings the Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Well put.

After looking at the list, it can't be based on sales and success only because Billie Holiday couldn't belong in the Top 10 - so it's other factors for this person.

I think Billie Holiday had her greatest success after Diana Ross appeared in Lady Sings the Blues.
    Honestly, I don't think there's any criteria to this list. It is just a list of this person's favorite singers, compiled almost 10 years ago. He or she might very well have a totally different line up now.
    Last edited by reese; 01-13-2021 at 01:25 PM.

This is just someones personal list. I could post one and none of the top 10 would be in my top 10 - well perhaps Aretha would be at #10.

In no order

Marianne Faithfull
    Dusty Springfield
    Blinky Williams
    Joni Mitchell
    Laura Nyro
    Buffy Sainte-Marie
    PJ Harvey
    Nina Simone
    Aretha Franklin
    Dinah Washington

Copley--You are the first person I've "met" who even knows who Marianne Faithful was/is. I loved her album Broken English

This list is laughable, at best. While Diana is certainly Top 10, she's not #2. Not up against Whitney, Karen, Aretha, Mariah, Beyonce'.

It makes me giggle when people get their panties in a bunch when the Supremes or Diana don't rank #1 on lists like these. They've secured their place in history whatever number they come in at.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Copley--You are the first person I've "met" who even knows who Marianne Faithful was/is. I loved her album Broken English
    Bobby, I've loved Marianne Faithfull from the first time I heard As Tears Go By in 1964. [[I was an infant in my crib ). She had an enchanting, ethereal voice and presence. I remember an appearance on Shindig, singing This Little Bird, I believe. I was totally shocked when I heard Broken English years later! Though fascinated by her altered vocals and appearance, I didn't want to listen any further. Now some 40 years later, with your endorsement of Broken English, I believe I'm ready.

I know Marianne Faithful as well; I think many of the people on here do.

Lesley Gore never made the list either but I noticed when Sirius 60's on 6 did their recent countdown, Lesley had a lot of songs on the Pop List.

Shirley Horn did not make the list! Shirley Horn's voice is ethereal as any grace note. Listen up folks, sweet and mellow needs to be added to your musical bowl! Oh my...

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post

My list of the Top Female Pop Singers [[so far, in time and in America, my perception only!):
    1. Madonna
    2. Diana Ross
    3. Aretha Franklin
    4. Barbra Streisand
    5. Mariah Carey
    6. Whitney Houston
    7. Donna Summer
    8. Tina Turner
    9. Dionne Warwick
    10. Linda Ronstadt, Karen Carpenter, Celine Dion, Janet Jackson, Beyonce [[This changes, so I'm fudging it)

My favorite female singers of all time [[non-negotiable!):
    1. Diana Ross
    2. Barbra Streisand
    3. Aretha Franklin
    4. Karen Carpenter
    5. Dionne Warwick
    6. Dusty Springfield
    7. Patsy Cline
    8. Billie Holiday
    9. Anne Murray
    10. Amy Winehouse, Thelma Houston, Gladys Knight, Martha Reeves, Joan Baez, Stevie Nicks [[I love to fudge!)
    Last edited by lucky2012; 01-13-2021 at 06:15 PM.