[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What If Diana Had Recorded Streisands "Guilty" Album ?

what if Diana had reached out to Barry Gibb in 1980 instead of Nile Rogers and recorded the album that became Streisand's biggest seller the highly acclaimed and loved "Guilty" album ?

Iam a huge fan of the "Eaten Alive" set but some tracks on "Guilty" are superior imho..the title track is a sublime blend of Gibb & Streisand asmooth groove that won a grammy I have no doubt it would have been just as big for Ross

the haunting Woman In Love is harder to imagine in Diana's hands as Striesand gives such an iconic vocal it hit number one close to the time of Diana's upside down..those were the days !

Promises is afun album track that has a mellow-ish groove Diana could have fun with an beautifulsoft but haunting Love Insideis a killer track Miss Ross could have shown her chops in asubtler delivery as Gibb instructed babs to do

the album closes with Make it Like A Memory which in a slight way echoes the classic Ashford & Simspson compositions as it builds a to peak crecendo..

Guilty album kept "diana" LP hitting the top and Ross must of thought highly of it to pursue Gibb for Eaten Alive and Ross is known to admire Streisands moves in the industry

Streisand struggled for top 10 hits after Guilty wereDiana was able topull off half adozen certainly "diana" lp is one of thejewels in her solo career and Guilty would have been another any thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    what if Diana had reached out to Barry Gibb in 1980 instead of Nile Rogers and recorded the album that became Streisand's biggest seller the highly acclaimed and loved "Guilty" album ?

Iam a huge fan of the "Eaten Alive" set but some tracks on "Guilty" are superior imho..the title track is a sublime blend of Gibb & Streisand asmooth groove that won a grammy I have no doubt it would have been just as big for Ross

the haunting Woman In Love is harder to imagine in Diana's hands as Striesand gives such an iconic vocal it hit number one close to the time of Diana's upside down..those were the days !

Promises is afun album track that has a mellow-ish groove Diana could have fun with an beautifulsoft but haunting Love Insideis a killer track Miss Ross could have shown her chops in asubtler delivery as Gibb instructed babs to do

the album closes with Make it Like A Memory which in a slight way echoes the classic Ashford & Simspson compositions as it builds a to peak crecendo..

Guilty album kept "diana" LP hitting the top and Ross must of thought highly of it to pursue Gibb for Eaten Alive and Ross is known to admire Streisands moves in the industry

Streisand struggled for top 10 hits after Guilty wereDiana was able topull off half adozen certainly "diana" lp is one of thejewels in her solo career and Guilty would have been another any thoughts ?
    Guilty was a classic album with both Babs and Barry at the top of their game. There is no doubt that Diana would have given it her very best, but it is true to say she does not have the vocal power of Babs. Woman in love is a very difficult song to sing, as are several tracks on the album.
    Barry wrote most of the songs with Babs in mind. I'm sure he would have made a few adjustments to make the songs more comfortable for Diana, but ultimately no other performer would have been capable of reaching the heights of Babs.
    Barry did write an album for Diana a few years prior to Eaten Alive, but she turned him down and Barry gave the project to Kenny Rogers who got a no.1 single out of it. Islands in the stream could have been a no.1 hit for Diana and Barry. That is what Barry had in mind when writing the album. It's yet another example of Diana's lack of vision.
    I may be speaking out of turn here, but she did admit to me how she later regretted that decision.

thanks Bluebrock your knowledge is awesome ...I once read in a Bee Gees biography that Barry was critical of Diana's lack of focus on the Eaten Alive sessions.. he commented she was working on things like awards shows at the time and didnthave her full attention..shades of Ron Miller or Michael Masser's experience..

As Bluebrock has mentioned, Barry Gibb wrote those songs with Streisand’s voice in mind. I really don’t think any of the songs featured on ‘Guilty’ would suit Diana’s voice at all. Perhaps ‘Promises’ at a push
    An album that i think would have been perfect for her is ‘Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta. Every song on it is a perfect match for her vocal style.

ive always thought Natalie Cole's "Some One That You Used To Love" sounds so much like a Diana track..back to Guilty - we all know Diana can sing many genres i think she could have easily sang many tracks on "Guilty" maybe not those Streisand long held notes but her voice at the point post -The Boss was the strongest it had ever been Diana could still hold a long note [[If she was with the right producer as Ashford & Simpson proved)
    Last edited by nomis; 01-11-2021 at 04:46 PM.

here's an idea - of course we'd need to throw aside being on different labels, but what if Motown had brought the Gibbs in to do something with Diana in 78? coming off of their massive Saturday Night Fever success, what if they had done the album that was slated for 78 instead of what we got on Ross 78?

thats a great supposition Sup Fan The Bee Gees where white hot at the time I have a Jacksons studio demo of "Shake Your Body [[Down To The Ground) and at the end of the track one of the brothers says "I want the Bee Gees to hear this shit !" lol

The results would have been the same as the Eaten Alive album. It would have been equally awful. I've never been a fan of Streisand and just don't understand why folks keep comparing the two singers, they are NOTHING alike. Listening to Streisand has the same appeal as eating a bowl of mayonnaise that's been left out in the summer sun all afternoon. I'd rather listen to the complete recordings of Little Lisa and Debbie Dean for a week straight than one note from BS.

dont hold back Satanablues lol..I dont care what others think I love Eaten Alive album dont follow Streisands work really but "Guilty" is masterpiece pop album im guilty of loving "Guilty" & "Eaten" and unashamed..

Ugh. Anything is better than Babs' schlock

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    here's an idea - of course we'd need to throw aside being on different labels, but what if Motown had brought the Gibbs in to do something with Diana in 78? coming off of their massive Saturday Night Fever success, what if they had done the album that was slated for 78 instead of what we got on Ross 78?
    I don't think they would have had the time to do a full album on Diana at this time. They were so busy with their own projects and getting Andy's solo career off the ground. I know they did Emotion by Samantha Sang, but they didn't really move into producing other artists on a major level until Babs came calling.

dont hold back Satanablues lol..I dont care what others think I love Eaten Alive album dont follow Streisands work really but "Guilty" is masterpiece pop album im guilty of loving "Guilty" & "Eaten" and unashamed..
    Dionne's Heartbreaker album was also excellent. Barry was very proud of that album and was furious with Dionne when she was somewhat critical of the title track whilst promoting the album. When she asked Barry to produce her next album he politely told her to piss off! The job eventually went to Luther of course.

ive always thought Natalie Cole's "Some One That You Used To Love" sounds so much like a Diana track..back to Guilty - we all know Diana can sing many genres i think she could have easily sang many tracks on "Guilty" maybe not those Streisand long held notes but her voice at the point post -The Boss was the strongest it had ever been Diana could still hold a long note [[If she was with the right producer as Ashford & Simpson proved)
    Barbra did a fine version of Someone that i used to love.
    I do believe Masser may originally have had Diana in mind for that one. It was taylor made for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    As Bluebrock has mentioned, Barry Gibb wrote those songs with Streisand’s voice in mind. I really don’t think any of the songs featured on ‘Guilty’ would suit Diana’s voice at all. Perhaps ‘Promises’ at a push
    An album that i think would have been perfect for her is ‘Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta. Every song on it is a perfect match for her vocal style.
    I have to agree with you there. I am not a huge Syreeta fan, but i do love that album, and i am sure it could have been a killer album for Ms Ross.

wow thanks Bluebrock will have a listen.. last year I discovered Andy Gibbs work love the tracks - "Desire" "An Everlasting Love" & "[[Love is ) Thicker Than Water"..."Someone That You Used To Love" sounds like it should be next to "I Thought it Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)" on the 1976 Diana Ross LP

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I don't think they would have had the time to do a full album on Diana at this time. They were so busy with their own projects and getting Andy's solo career off the ground. I know they did Emotion by Samantha Sang, but they didn't really move into producing other artists on a major level until Babs came calling.
    yeah i know it's just fantasy. still Diana was hot after Love Hangover and she was, of course, DIANA ROSS lol

I think something like Yvonne Eliman's If I Can't Have You would have worked beautifully for Diana. I still think the Bee Gee falsettos would NOT have worked so maybe my idea is a no-go, since they very often participate in their productions.

wow thanks Bluebrock will have a listen.. last year I discovered Andy Gibbs work love the tracks - "Desire" "An Everlasting Love" & "[[Love is ) Thicker Than Water"..."Someone That You Used To Love" sounds like it should be next to "I Thought it Took A Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)" on the 1976 Diana Ross LP
    Andy was very talented. Sadly he was also self destructive. I honestly felt he was the 2nd most talented Gibb brother after Barry. It is so very sad that he destroyed his life with his terrible addiction. Barry tried so hard to help him, but his dependence on the hard stuff left a trail of despair and destruction. It was heartbreaking to see.

Andy was very talented. Sadly he was also self destructive. I honestly felt he was the 2nd most talented Gibb brother after Barry. It is so very sad that he destroyed his life with his terrible addiction. Barry tried so hard to help him, but his dependence on the hard stuff left a trail of despair and destruction. It was heartbreaking to see.
    such as sad loss. and so hard to understand. i could get it if he was always stuck in Barry's shadow. but Andy was a mega star in his own right. such a waste

She makes Taylor Swift sound like Aretha Franklin. Note the line flub at the :50 mark when she flubs "I close my eyes not wanting to hear." What? She strains desperately to hit some high notes, and fails. This was just painful. This is the whole jar of mayonnaise right here.

Satanblues your funny thats twice youve made me laugh in one work shift..i sold my soul to the devil playing Taylor Swift in my dj sets over the yrs ashamed of myself cant stand her dont see her appeal

Bluebrock I will read up on him all I Knew was he died very young and dated actress Victoria Principal...how sad for Barry to lose three ? of his brothers..there was a documentary on The Bee Gees playing in the cinema across from my work a month ago i missed it will try and "Keep An Eye" out for it

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    She makes Taylor Swift sound like Aretha Franklin. Note the line flub at the :50 mark when she flubs "I close my eyes not wanting to hear." What? She strains desperately to hit some high notes, and fails. This was just painful. This is the whole jar of mayonnaise right here.
    Usually this is the only song from the LAZY AFTERNOON album that I play.

Bluebrock I will read up on him all I Knew was he died very young and dated actress Victoria Principal...how sad for Barry to lose three ? of his brothers..there was a documentary on The Bee Gees playing in the cinema across from my work a month ago i missed it will try and "Keep An Eye" out for it
    I always like Andy. At one point, he was the co-host of SOLID GOLD and brought Victoria on to sing their version of ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I always like Andy. At one point, he was the co-host of SOLID GOLD and brought Victoria on to sing their version of ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM.
    wow Reese - Victoria sang ? I never knew that this is the best forum there is I learn so much on here.. in the 90s there was some repeats of UK's "Top Of The Pops" in my country i taped an episode and Andy was in the studio performing "I Wanna Be Your Everything" he looked cool in a blue satin 1950s jacket so young happy and handsome..drugs are the devil

ive always thought Natalie Cole's "Some One That You Used To Love" sounds so much like a Diana track..
    I agree. Would've loved to hear Diana sing it, but I also LOVE Natalie and the song is perfect for her as well.

That could've been hot!

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    The results would have been the same as the Eaten Alive album. It would have been equally awful. I've never been a fan of Streisand and just don't understand why folks keep comparing the two singers, they are NOTHING alike. Listening to Streisand has the same appeal as eating a bowl of mayonnaise that's been left out in the summer sun all afternoon. I'd rather listen to the complete recordings of Little Lisa and Debbie Dean for a week straight than one note from BS.
    I'm with you on this. I get the appeal because she is a talented singer, but listening to her has never knocked me out. I do love "No More Tears" with Donna Summer, and truth be told, I would've been fine with Donna doing it alone. The only Streisand album I own is Guilty, which was given to me by someone who thought I might enjoy it. While I really only ever play the title cut, I do think the album is pretty good, but that's more me liking the production than me digging her voice. I too would opt for Debbie Dean over Streisand, but I can't with Little Lisa. I'll take Barbra all day than one note of Lisa. Lol

I'm not as negative on the Bee Gees as I am on Barbra, but I really only like them one step above Barbra. They created some great tracks but I really hate to hear them sing. On the other hand, I LOVE me some Andy Gibb. I'm a big fan of his work. Go figure.

yeah i know it's just fantasy. still Diana was hot after Love Hangover and she was, of course, DIANA ROSS lol

I think something like Yvonne Eliman's If I Can't Have You would have worked beautifully for Diana. I still think the Bee Gee falsettos would NOT have worked so maybe my idea is a no-go, since they very often participate in their productions.
    Would've loved for Diana to cut "If I Can't Have You". But sadly you're probably right about the Bee Gees being all over most of their productions. They knew their way around a hot track but I really wish their mics had been broken.

Diana IMO would have nailed "You Should Be Dancing" its got that edgy/fast pace and lyric that Miss Ross could have made her element [[think the last minute of "Crimes Of Passion' when she is ON FIRE or the dramatic flair she brought to "Swept Away"..perfect for "YSBD")
    Last edited by nomis; 01-11-2021 at 10:12 PM.

wow Reese - Victoria sang ? I never knew that this is the best forum there is I learn so much on here.. in the 90s there was some repeats of UK's "Top Of The Pops" in my country i taped an episode and Andy was in the studio performing "I Wanna Be Your Everything" he looked cool in a blue satin 1950s jacket so young happy and handsome..drugs are the devil
    IMO, Victoria wasn't really much of a singer. As I remember it, Andy carried most of the song.

I can't believe some of these comments. Streisand is one of the greatest singers ever. You don't have to enjoy her but her artistry is unassailable.

"Guilty" is not one of my favorite albums of hers, I find Gibb's vocal presence obtrusive. His warbling kills "What Kind of Fool." I hate "Eaten Alive" too. I love Dionne's "Heartbreaker" LP and can't understand why she does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I can't believe some of these comments. Streisand is one of the greatest singers ever. You don't have to enjoy her but her artistry is unassailable.

"Guilty" is not one of my favorite albums of hers, I find Gibb's vocal presence obtrusive. His warbling kills "What Kind of Fool." I hate "Eaten Alive" too. I love Dionne's "Heartbreaker" LP and can't understand why she does not.
    I dont know much of her work beyond "Guilty" and "One Voice" albums but i have to admit the opening bars/verse of "Prisoner [[Love Theme From Eyes Of Laura Mars)" is one of the most beautiful openings of a song ive ever had the good fortune to hear..gets me every time then the "rock" element of the track kicks in..nah not so much but that opening is a killer [[Diana would have been great in the Laura Mars role that was played by Faye Dunaway - after "The Wiz" the hip photographer character of Laura in a murder/suspense would have been a perfect starring vehicle for her )
    Last edited by nomis; 01-12-2021 at 01:28 AM.

In my opinion Streisand is THE greatest female vocalist of all time. I am amazed by some of the comments on here. Technically she is in a class of her own. Ella said it. Aretha said it. Sinatra said it. I am happy to be in agreement with those late legends.
    I guess we all hear things in different ways.
    I also regard Barry as one of the all time great singer/songwriter/producers of the pop era. The Bee Gees great body of work stands up alongside any of the great songwriting partnerships of the 20th century. Their songs have been covered by so many artists in so many genres over the past 53 years or so. Their legacy is almost unrivalled.

Maybe "never give up" on Guilty would have been fine in Diana's hand. Also "carried away" a lost track from the album that ended in Olivia's Physical album.
    and "run wild" is another that may fit Diana's voice.
    Overall, I don't think his production works for Diana sound.

And there are millions of fans worldwide who would agree with you Guy. Streisand is a star of the highest magnitude and so much more then just a singer.
    I personally have never really rated Andy Gibb. Thin, wispy falsetto that a less attractive man might have struggled to find success with. Especially if his surname happened not to be Gibb.
    EA often [[not always) comes across as Diana doing her best BG impression. On ‘Guilty’ Barbra always comes out sounding like Barbra Streisand.

No one's artistry is unassailable. It's art, up for interpretation, discussion, and the beauty, or lack thereof, is in the eye- or in this case, ear- of the beholder. I think it's clear that Barbra is vocally talented, but she and most of her music does nothing for me. I prefer my singers to have some soul and IMO Barbra lacks that. SB compared her to a bowl of mayo, and for me he's almost spot on. [[A better analogy would be me eating a bowl of mayo with a few bits of hamburger crumbled in it. I'd enjoy the bits of burger but nothing else. I enjoy "Guilty" and "No More Tears", but not really anything else.)

There isn't a singer alive who doesn't have it's non-fans. I always have to remind myself of that when I encounter comments and remarks of "meh" when it comes to Aretha, Diana, or Whitney, or countless others whom I enjoy so very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I personally have never really rated Andy Gibb. Thin, wispy falsetto that a less attractive man might have struggled to find success with. Especially if his surname happened not to be Gibb.
    I think the quality of the songs he sang were more the reason for his success as opposed to his looks, which for the record, have no bearing on my personal love of Andy Gibb. In fact song selection probably has everything to do with why I love him so much. He's not someone I would categorize as "could sing the phonebook" and I'd be happy, but he has enough qualities there that rate him far above his brothers for me.

Of course, generally speaking, no doubt his media driven idea of handsome and his last name didn't hurt with the public.

Guy I get it that you are a Babs fan and I respect that. I am not--and that's fine. I will admit she has a decent voice, I just don't dig the material. Give me Patti, Nona, Chaka or a host of others any day. Would you care to hear about an incident with her that I witnessed with my own eyes?

In my opinion Streisand is THE greatest female vocalist of all time. I am amazed by some of the comments on here. Technically she is in a class of her own. Ella said it. Aretha said it. Sinatra said it. I am happy to be in agreement with those late legends.
    I also regard Barry as one of the all time great singer/songwriter/producers of the pop era. The Bee Gees great body of work stands up alongside any of the great songwriting partnerships of the 20th century. Their songs have been covered by so many artists in so many genres over the past 53 years or so. Their legacy is almost unrivalled.
    i agree that Barbra is one of the greatest singers of all time on a technical basis. she is deserving of every and all accolades. i think it just comes down to personal taste. most people do not take the time to analyze the complexities of a song or the skills required by the singer. rather it's the subjective part the comes through. you either like it or you don't.

i like barbra but there's a bit of indifference. Guilty is a great album and some of her other songs i find enjoyable too. one aspect i don't find wonderful is the way she opens her vowels on the big notes - the classic Streisand singing. By no means and i going to say she's a poor singer. it's just a personal preference. also she places vowels quite forward in the mouth - especially on ooo sounds. again, she's singing it with wonderful skill and i'm not saying she's doing it wrong. i just have grown to enjoy other singer's techniques

Yes, only one Streisand, ever. The natural sound of her voice coupled with her breath control, enunciation and interpretive emotion are sui generis. Guilty was composed and arranged specifically for Streisand so the question of anyone else recording the album is pretty much moot. One might as well ask, 'What if Aretha had recorded Psycho Circus?'

Blue - was there the same visceral backlash against the Bee Gees in the UK and commonwealth like there was in the US? i remember as a teen in the 80s that EVERYONE hated them. passionately! to our core!! lol they were... [[gasp) DISCO!!!!! lol

of course i'm overstating this a bit but anything tainted by disco in the US really had an uphill battle. and even if the music industry was not openly joining in on this backlash, they certainly appeared to be doing nothing here to maintain the public's awareness or appreciate for the bee gees overall accomplishments and work

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think the quality of the songs he sang were more the reason for his success as opposed to his looks, which for the record, have no bearing on my personal love of Andy Gibb. In fact song selection probably has everything to do with why I love him so much. He's not someone I would categorize as "could sing the phonebook" and I'd be happy, but he has enough qualities there that rate him far above his brothers for me.

Of course, generally speaking, no doubt his media driven idea of handsome and his last name didn't hurt with the public.
    One thing that Andy certainly possessed in spades was likability. He always came across as a really sweet guy.
    Have you ever heard Streisand’s version of “Don’t Throw It All Away”?.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post

i have very limited knowledge about Andy other than he was gorgeous, had some decent songs and successes in the late 70s and had a stunning amount of chest hair lol

i certainly wouldn't leap to the conclusion that he was the most talented male singer of his time but as we know, being a prodigy does not guarantee success.

what was he like as a stage performer and entertainer? i've seen just a few of his Solid Gold clips and they're fine enough. was he "magical" when he hit the stage? did he have this awesome connection between himself and the audience?

Blue - was there the same visceral backlash against the Bee Gees in the UK and commonwealth like there was in the US? i remember as a teen in the 80s that EVERYONE hated them. passionately! to our core!! lol they were... [[gasp) DISCO!!!!! lol

of course i'm overstating this a bit but anything tainted by disco in the US really had an uphill battle. and even if the music industry was not openly joining in on this backlash, they certainly appeared to be doing nothing here to maintain the public's awareness or appreciate for the bee gees overall accomplishments and work
    They had a quiet few years during which time they worked with Babs, Dionne, Kenny and Diana.
    They did make a big musical comeback with the no.1 hit You Win Again in the latter part of the 80's, and they followed this with several more hits including the very Chain Reaction like Secret Love which was a big hit in the 90's. The UK market was undoubtedly more loyal than the US market for whatever reason. I have been a fan since the late 60's, and then got to know all four brothers in the early 80's. I got along especially well with Barry and i liked Andy very much too, but i didn't get to know him very well due to his problems. I don't want to say much more out of respect to Barry who carries enough guilt and heartache without me reopening old wounds which have never been allowed to heal. His poor mother Barbara outlived 3 of her sons which is just cruel beyond words. I have outlived one of my sons and that is an unbearable situation, and i do not know how Barbara got through that. Barry's father passed away in the early 90's, just a short while after Andy's passing.

They had a quiet few years during which time they worked with Babs, Dionne, Kenny and Diana.
    They did make a big musical comeback with the no.1 hit You Win Again in the latter part of the 80's, and they followed this with several more hits including the very Chain Reaction like Secret Love which was a big hit in the 90's. The UK market was undoubtedly more loyal than the US market for whatever reason. I have been a fan since the late 60's, and then got to know all four brothers in the early 80's. I got along especially well with Barry and i liked Andy very much too, but i didn't get to know him very well due to his problems. I don't want to say much more out of respect to Barry who carries enough guilt and heartache without me reopening old wounds which have never been allowed to heal. His poor mother Barbara outlived 3 of her sons which is just cruel beyond words. I have outlived one of my sons and that is an unbearable situation, and i do not know how Barbara got through that. Barry's father passed away in the early 90's, just a short while after Andy's passing.
    Blue - thank you for sharing this. we often overlook the human side to our idols and superstars. we think about the loss of these men in terms of the loss to the recording industry and maybe there's even a touch of selfishness in there, in terms of our never getting any more great songs from them. But at the end of the day, they were someone's child. someone's sibling. that's a far more terrible and significant loss than what fans lose.

Bluebrock so sorry to hear of your loss I have a special love of The Bee Gees as my big sister had the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack when I was very young and then yrs later she bought "You Win Again" single which was a fantastic comeback track in 1987..i was once djing a retro party for a guy and played "You Win Again" in my set which he let me know he wasnt keen on but i trust my big sisters taste more !

Barry's father passed away in the early 90's, just a short while after Andy's passing.
    Over the weekend, I was reading 'The Gibb Files' [[excellent internet resource at http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beegees/) where it was stated Gibb Senior passed away on what would have been Andy's birthday

In regard to the original topic, I don't think it would have worked.

As a teenage music fan in 1980, I probably thought Diana Ross was something of a has-been. A singer of dreary love songs and best suited to K-Tel albums.

But Chic were hot and so the diana album caused me [[and, no doubt, many other young people) to realise Diana Ross still had it! She could still put out groovy new music which the kids could dance to.

The Guilty album [[as good as I later realised it was) would not have done this. I would have just thought 'more dreary love songs'.

The diana album was EXACTLY what her career needed at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    In regard to the original topic, I don't think it would have worked.

As a teenage music fan in 1980, I probably thought Diana Ross was something of a has-been. A singer of dreary love songs and best suited to K-Tel albums.

But Chic were hot and so the diana album caused me [[and, no doubt, many other young people) to realise Diana Ross still had it! She could still put out groovy new music which the kids could dance to.

The Guilty album [[as good as I later realised it was) would not have done this. I would have just thought 'more dreary love songs'.

The diana album was EXACTLY what her career needed at this point.
    Diana could have recorded with Rogers a year or so later from Guilty and two smashes..she had successfully alternated between the dance floor and ballads for the 5 yrs previously at this time period.