[REMOVE ADS]

Alex trebek's last jeopardy telecast tonight mentioned the supremes

Just watched Alex Trebek's last broadcast on Jeopardy. The question to one of the answers was "Who are the Supremes". I think we all would have gotten this

Nice tribute to Alex at end of show.
    Name:  JEP.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  40.2 KB

Too bad that’s the clue they had to choose; there are kinder, less divisive clues

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Too bad that’s the clue they had to choose; there are kinder, less divisive clues
    You would have thought. Purely from personal experience, members of the younger generation that i have contact with seem more familiar with the name Diana Ross as opposed to the Supremes. As Diana has said “time passes real quickly”.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    You would have thought. Purely from personal experience, members of the younger generation that i have contact with seem more familiar with the name Diana Ross as opposed to the Supremes. As Diana has said “time passes real quickly”.
    That's probably because where you are Diana Ross remained a relevant recording artist for a much longer time than she did over here. The Supremes are regarded as Motown royalty here and are often mentioned even when Diana isn't. However, as time passes a lot of the greats, the Supremes and Diana included, are becoming more "obscure" when it comes to the younger crowd. I guess that's only natural.

I was watching too. Also it should be mentioned that one of the players did get the answer. As usual the jeopardy clues are kind of three dimensional. You wouldn’t need to know the two girls didn’t sing on the record as long as you either knew the name of the song or the name of the three girls, or even just the fact that Diana Ross was the lead singer of the Supremes. So really this clue contains several clues to the right answer as do many Jeopardy clues.

Yes it was a nice tribute to Alex Trebek at the end. I hope Ken Jennings doesn’t become the permanent host. He always comes off to me as kind of creepy.
    Last edited by kenneth; 01-09-2021 at 11:55 AM.

I was also watching. It should be mentioned that the category was about songs from the 60s and that this was the first clue in the category. Clues progress in a category from easiest to more challenging.

restated:

Jeopardy just hung out Motown's dirty laundry!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-09-2021 at 11:18 PM.

So the official answer is "Diana Ross and the Supremes". But would "The Supremes" have also been accepted? And I agree this is "dirty laundry" airing and quite unnecessary. Would anyone other than members of SDF have known that Mary and Cindy didn't sing on SWBT?

Some people would - but most could care less.

Sirius regularly points this out when they play Someday.

As a long time Jeopardy fan I can tell you that the Supremes [[and Motown in general for that matter) have been featured quite a bit over the years. Remember the Berry Gordy spelling controversy from just a few months ago? So I think the writers were likely fans and only meant to salute not to disrespect.

The contestant did reply "The Supremes" which was accepted as correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I guess, but at least Cindy Birdsong and Wilson's names got mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    The contestant did reply "The Supremes" which was accepted as correct.
    Good to know.

I guess, but at least Cindy Birdsong and Wilson's names got mentioned.
    and yes, agreed. Should have been an audio daily double [[if they still do those; I haven't watched in ages).

What was the category??

'Dirty Secrets Of The TOP 40' ?
    'Fooled Ya!!' ?
    'No Sh*t!!?' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    What was the category??
    Milli Vanilli Background Singers ?

This is my favorite Supremes record. A little disappointed to find out the truth years later. But it remains my favorite Supremes record, with Up The Ladder a close second