[REMOVE ADS]

Listening To Floy Joy Album For The First Time

two tracks I have fallen for - "Now The Bitter' & "Wisdom of Time" ive got a 6 hour dj set for a friends birthday on the17th im adding them to my mix

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    two tracks I have fallen for - "Now The Bitter' & "Wisdom of Time" ive got a 6 hour dj set for a friends birthday on the17th im adding them to my mix
    wow - your first time through this lp!

glad you're enjoying. are you familiar with the overall discography, especially their 70s output? or are you just starting to go through this part of their catalog?

also what about these two tunes sparked your interest? Did you know that it's Cindy Birdsong doing the spoken passage in Wisdom? she's not often spotlighted so it's great to hear her step forward

One of my favorite Supremes albums. It's a mellow kind of sound. Some find it a bit boring. I actually dig the laidback concept. Everyone is in fine form. Now that I think about it, Floy Joy was my first 70s Supremes album, aside from the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics compilation, so it also holds some sentimentality for me.

For the longest time, the one song I didn't care for was "Now the Bitter". Only in recent years have I changed my mind. Now I'm not all that fond of the title cut anymore. But I adore "A Heart Like Mine", "Over and Over", "Precious Little Things" [[which is IMO a severely underrated Jean Terrell vocal performance), "Automatically Sunshine" and "The Wisdom of Time".

I would love a Floy Joy expanded edition, but since it looks like that will either [[a) never happen, or [[b) take at least two decades, I'm now joining the call for a 70s Supremes' Lost and Found, as I would love to hear any outtakes from this album, along with alternate vocals and mixes.

Floy Joy ties with Touch as my favorite 70s Supremes albums.

George Solomon, if you can see this, any information about what kinds of extras we might have regarding the Floy Joy sessions in the event a FJ EE or a Lost and Found is put together?

"Now the Bitter..." is one of my top favorites from the 70s Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    One of my favorite Supremes albums. It's a mellow kind of sound. Some find it a bit boring. I actually dig the laidback concept. Everyone is in fine form. Now that I think about it, Floy Joy was my first 70s Supremes album, aside from the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics compilation, so it also holds some sentimentality for me.

For the longest time, the one song I didn't care for was "Now the Bitter". Only in recent years have I changed my mind. Now I'm not all that fond of the title cut anymore. But I adore "A Heart Like Mine", "Over and Over", "Precious Little Things" [[which is IMO a severely underrated Jean Terrell vocal performance), "Automatically Sunshine" and "The Wisdom of Time".

I would love a Floy Joy expanded edition, but since it looks like that will either [[a) never happen, or [[b) take at least two decades, I'm now joining the call for a 70s Supremes' Lost and Found, as I would love to hear any outtakes from this album, along with alternate vocals and mixes.

Floy Joy ties with Touch as my favorite 70s Supremes albums.
    you might be shocked [[given some of my anti smokey comments lol) to know i also really enjoy this album. there are a few times the lyrics get a bit silly [[stopper in the bath tub lol) but i find it a polished and lovely set
    Last edited by sup_fan; 01-07-2021 at 03:31 PM.

I think it's just an okay album. If you are in the mood for a laid back presentation, it's fine. A Heart Like Mine was the only standout song to me

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I think it's just an okay album. If you are in the mood for a laid back presentation, it's fine. A Heart Like Mine was the only standout song to me
    interesting! love hearing everyone's different POV

I think there are some strong songs here but agree that the bulk of the album works best as a full set. individually many of the songs are fine but that's all. it's as a whole that things sparkle

Auto Sun is one of my fav 70s songs. it's just so groovy and mellow and fun. Bitter and Sweet is another top one. I like YWSSL but really prefer it live. the odd Smokey vocals just don't do it for me and the song just needs a bit quicker tempo to give it the life it needed

Thanks, Suppy baby, and back at you. I love the instrumental lead in on Heart Like Mine. And Mary just sort of floats over the top of it. It's breezy but really solid at the same time. I kind of like Bitter/Sweet, it's kind of atmospheric and strange, which I usually like in a song. I liked Wisdom time okay--am I the only one who thought the lyrics to that song could be applied to the whole Florence Ballard drama? "Some go over, and some go under"--she just couldn't handle the pressures of stardom but the other two could and did.

hi Sup Fan - im only familar with the Post - Ross hits really most from listening to the 1986 Anthology then I gave the Pink Box set disc 4 a couple of spins recently and enjoyed Jeans voice and i thought after reading all the praise you guys give them on this forum I should dig deeper..Roger who is a member on this forum very kindly made me a copy of "This Is The Story" and for some reason the two Floy Joy tracks I mentioned i loved on first listen..I didnt know it was Cindy doing the spoken part im good at picking Mary & Flo on tracks but Cindy Much less..I found what RanRan 79 mentioned - Im surprised how mellow the whole set is..

There is at least one out take.
    It's title escapes me but I think aretha recorded it

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    hi Sup Fan - im only familar with the Post - Ross hits really most from listening to the 1986 Anthology then I gave the Pink Box set disc 4 a couple of spins recently and enjoyed Jeans voice and i thought after reading all the praise you guys give them on this forum I should dig deeper..Roger who is a member on this forum very kindly made me a copy of "This Is The Story" and for some reason the two Floy Joy tracks I mentioned i loved on first listen..I didnt know it was Cindy doing the spoken part im good at picking Mary & Flo on tracks but Cindy Much less..I found what RanRan 79 mentioned - Im surprised how mellow the whole set is..
    wonderful to share in your discovery of the 70s! glad you're enjoying

and even though us old timers on here might have our opinions about one lineup or another, one album or another, this or that, please know that your opinion is valued and feel free to share your thoughts. it's great to compare with other fans

have you spent a lot of time going through all of the discs on This Is The Story set? If you really enjoyed Floy Joy, might i suggest spending some time replaying Right On and Touch? IMO those are two very strong albums.

All of the 70s material has merit - some are stronger efforts than others. but i don't want to influence you're opinion too much.

**ok class - here's your assignment [[lol). over the next few days, i'd like a report back on Right On.

Class dismissed**

lol

thanks sup fan ive always loved Up The Ladder Nathan Jones I Guess I'll Miss The Man and especially Its All Been Said Before [[wow the Harmonies !) thanks to 1986 anthology cd including some post Ross work..will let you know what I think of the rest of "This Is The Story" thanks for your replies and input much appreciated

As time progresses and I hear these albums years after initially listening to them, sometimes my opinions change one way or the other. I loved Right On,but when New Ways came out I thought it was their best for the longest time because it seemed to be such a great album with great songs ,I liked Touch because of how Jean Terrell had such strong vocals and Mary Wilson was playing a more prominent role. But it seemed like they fell off tv and I started to listen to others more than the Supremes after Touch and before Floy Joy. I didn't buy Floy Joy. I actually won it on the radio where I heard them say "What? We are giving this away? But we've played this". They usually gave away music that wasn't popular and I wasn't hearing the group on my local radio stations, I only heard Automatically Sunshine once. I liked it especially because Mary sang more leads on it but it seemed to have such a light and bouncy sound after the strong vocals on Touch. I liked Jean's vocals on Touch but she seemed to be becoming more nasal and screechy, which was not the case on Floy Joy. Jimmy Webb was another matter. I liked that it was an experimental sound for the group but not for some of Jean's leads, which I now hear where out of her range. I really loved when the group came back with Cindy Birdsong and new member Scherrie Payne. I loved Mary's voice and I loved Scherrie right from the start-they were great on The Supremes and High Energy where Cindy recorded and left the group and Susaye Greene came in. Talk about a difference in sound. I really loved Mary, Scherrie & Susaye because it featured 3 different leads on different songs and I really loved the songs and their vocals although Driving Wheel would not have been a single choice for me. I liked MS&S best but have come to like High Energy more and more as time has passed. The same could be said for Floy Joy, I felt it was so light and bouncy that I couldn't get into it as much. I really only liked it for Mary's leads because it seemed to fit her sound so well. So, time does change how you feel as you listen to these albums. New Ways was my favorite for the longest time but now I am liking it less because of so many cover songs and finding myself liking Right On more and more. The group offered much more in the 1970's than is really appreciated by the mass public or the 1960's Supremes fans. Artistically, they are miles beyond the origins of that grouping and the vocals from Jean, Mary, Scherrie and Susaye are strong and impressive.

great summary Jim - love to hear how your opinions have changed. I've always like Auto Sun but the song Floy Joy has never been my favorite. I used to really just not like it although now it's grown on me some. same with Bad Weather.

for some reason MS&S and Let Yourself Go always captured my attention. the sensational cover art was captivating. and LYG is just sensational. also from the first time i heard it, Sweet Dream Machine was just WOW. so interesting, odd and cool

i agree that New Ways was strong but the excessive covers mars it a bit. Bridge and Come sort of fit in the theme of the album but Na Na [[while a solid cover) just seems out of place. I redid NW as a playlist that goes

Together
    SL
    Time to break
    Bridge
    mirror
    time and love
    is there a place
    baby baby [[from RO)
    shine on me
    thank him

Jim--your take on those records is almost the same as mine. Jean sounded great in her range, on songs like Stoned Love. I really like most of the Jimmy Webb album, but Jean was clearly struggling in some of those registers. I never bought New Ways or the next album, but have come to know most of the material these days. IMO, and I have no emotional attachments to those first two albums, the material was basically weak. The only songs that stood out to me, beyond the singles, were Loving Country and Break Down. I though most of Touch was very good, strong--like the Supremes figured out what direction to go in.