[REMOVE ADS]

favorite BACK cover art

we've discussed a lot of the graphics of the albums but mostly the front covers. and while those are the most obvious, those wonderful old LPs offered up tons of real estate for pictures, graphics and more. especially if they were gatefold

so which BACK art did you like the most? or the least?

one that i really liked was the back of Jimmy Webb. those pics of the girls working with Jimmy were interesting and added a lot. didn't make up for the ghastly front but still made a cool back

From the 60s, I really liked the back covers of:

COUNTRY WESTERN AND POP
    MORE HITS BY THE SUPREMES
    TCB

From the 70s:
    RIGHT ON
    NEW WAYS BUT LOVE STAYS
    THE SUPREMES [[1975)

I don't really dislike any of the back covers. If I had to pick one, I would probably go with MEET THE SUPREMES, as it is really plain and doesn't even include images of other Motown albums.

Considering it was their last 60s studio album, I think the back cover of CREAM OF THE CROP deserved more than a two-year old black and white photo. Of course, the photos on the front were old as well but I loved them.

I've always found this one intriguing:

Name:  20171009_133730 [[1).jpg
Views: 485
Size:  92.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    I've always found this one intriguing:

Name:  20171009_133730 [[1).jpg
Views: 485
Size:  92.2 KB
    I've seen quite a few of these. I keep saying I'm going to buy one but the ones I've seen in the used record stores aren't always in the best shape.

For me, there are 3 covers, front and back, of albums from 1965 which are the perfect total package.

More Hits - A "girl-group" genre perfection. Pics on the back give a closer look at the top female group.

At The Copa - From the original back cover, I love the silhouette drawing of a female trio performing beneath a spotlight.

Merry Christmas - One of my favorite front covers. The large photo on the back cover of the girls on the toboggan is a sweet pic.

At the time of release I did not like either the front or back cover of Sing HDH. It looked like a budget release with the two tone front cover. I did not care for the back cover's black background with white text. [[The UK release has a traditional white background with black text and a smaller pic, but I don't care for that either.)

I liked the front and back covers of all the releases from the 70s, except Jimmy Webb. I think some or all the photos from the JW back cover should have been on the front cover.

My favorite Diana solo is Diana 1976, front and back. The worst front cover is Ross 1978 but the smaller pic works well on the back cover.

i'm going to skip GH3, Last Time I Saw Him, Dynamite and Ross 78 due to the total lack of imagination with the back cover simply repeating the front cover

Meet and WDOLG are both lacking but that might be more about simply lack of resources and capabilities.

Poor back graphics include Cream of the Crop and Sunshine. Cream used an old pic and was not even really all that good resolution. Sunshine had the weird little drawing of the girls heads

R&H is a good one - the one on stage in the red sequin gowns [[there were two back covers and this is the better one) while it's not a live album, the image still really captures the mood of the lp. a mighty triumph

also love New Ways and MS&S back covers

Floy Joy
    New ways but
    Supremes 75
    TCB
    Love child
    Cream of the crop

i love the back cover pics on Diana Ross 1976 and Eaten Alive more than the front shots

Fun idea. Back covers of 'Love Child', 'Surrender' and 'EIE' are wonderful. Others probably as well ...

Don't know exactly why but I use to stare at the back cover of Love Child all the time. For the first time the girls looked different to me and I loved it.
    Name:  supremes_childb.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  31.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Don't know exactly why but I use to stare at the back cover of Love Child all the time. For the first time the girls looked different to me and I loved it.
    Name:  supremes_childb.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  31.1 KB
    I know what you mean. It’s a whole movie.

MS&S was one i would really stare at - that picture of the girls in the redwoods was captivating. all three girls are really looking straight out at the camera. no one is looking to the side or away

the blue tint on that love child lp is fly im gonna look for a copy at my 2nd hand record shop to hang in my dj studio..thanks captainjames

Diana Ross 76 and the Mahogany film soundtrack are classic pics.
    The recent recreation of the Mahogany pic by Mary J Blige received a lot of media attention.

It's fun looking back on these back covers. Good thread!

Favorites:
    1. More Hits - my introduction to the Supremes. I was fascinated with all the photos [[and wondered who Scott St. James was).
    2. Sing HDH - loved the photo of the Supremes and HDH in the studio, even if it looked staged.
    3. Love Child - I, too, was a bit intrigued by the blue-tinged photo, even more than the great album front cover photo.
    4. New Ways - gorgeous Black Is Beautiful photograph!
    5. Diana Ross [[1976) - I almost prefer the back cover photo, but go back & forth over the years.

I dislike all the plain, unimaginative, uninformative back covers - WDOLG, A Go-Go, Cream of the Crop, GH Vol. 3, etc.