[REMOVE ADS]

A new film celebrates BILLY STEWART, D. C.'s inimitable R&B star

There was an interesting story in the Washington Post today 1/4/2021 about the legendary Billy Stewart. A documentary filmmaker produced the film about Billy. At 9 PM on Monday 1/4/21 the film "Fat Boy: The Billy Stewart Story" will be broadcast on WHUT-TV. It's described as a loving look at an artists whose hits included, "I Do Love You," "Sitting in the Park," and two versions of "Summertime" from "Porgy and Bess."

It is stated in the article that Billy's career could have equaled that of another native son of Washington, Marvin Gaye, but his life was cut short in 1970.

In addition to tonight's 9 PM broadcast the show will rerun on WHUT at 1 AM on Tuesday. It is scheduled to air on PBS stations in February.

Further information can be obtained via kendallproductionsllc.com.

Thank you for the information, Woodward. Please keep us informed when the film will be broadcast on the PBS stations. I'm glad something is being made regarding Billy, who was one of the premier entertainers of the soul music era.

Thanks Woodward for the wonderful news! I'm looking forward to the Billy Stewart Documentary when it comes to PBS next month.

Billy Stewart was a GREAT artist and a wonderful person, too.I spent quite a few hours with him & his wife, Juanita in 1966. Billy was co-star to Wilson Pickett on this particular tour.

Good news for 2021! I'm also glad to hear of this. I always think of the stars that are hardly mentioned today. Billy could go to the top of the list.

I saw it and was great,billy was a d.c.legend,i remember seeing him at the barber shop near the legendary[howard theatre]back in the day getting his hair done,one of the great voices in soul music history!

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Billy Stewart was a GREAT artist and a wonderful person, too.I spent quite a few hours with him & his wife, Juanita in 1966. Billy was co-star to Wilson Pickett on this particular tour.
    That is so nice to hear. I was only a young kid when he passed away, and it was a good 10 years later before i became aware of his talent. It was so refreshing to hear of a guy become a star on the basis of his talent rather than his physical appearance. I hope this film eventually makes it's way to the UK, but my hopes are not too high. He is barely heard of outside of the soul crowd which is such a shame. Great artist.

I look forward to this. The live footage - RIGHT?!?!?

Here's an article with a little more info about the Billy Stewart Documentary.

Documentary on ’60s R&B Star Billy Stewart Airing on PBS Stations | Best Classic Bands

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Here's an article with a little more info about the Billy Stewart Documentary.

Documentary on ’60s R&B Star Billy Stewart Airing on PBS Stations | Best Classic Bands
    February 14th here in Chicago: WTTW at 2:00 PM.>

I've just watched The Billy Stewart Story via streaming from the PBS site and it's wonderful. Definitely recommended for all of the fans! Here it is!

WHUT Documentaries | FATBOY The Billy Stewart Doc | PBS
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 02-16-2021 at 04:43 AM.

I saw this yesterday. While I liked it and was glad to see Billy remembered, technically it was a mess. Just when you see that the film is about to wrap up, it restarts [[goes over already discussed information) for some reason. At that point, it didn't even feel like a PBS presentation but more like a Chancellor of Soul production [[if you know what I mean). Overall, the presentation was lacking on a professional level. I was disappointed with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I saw this yesterday. While I liked it and was glad to see Billy remembered, technically it was a mess. Just when you see that the film is about to wrap up, it restarts [[goes over already discussed information) for some reason. At that point, it didn't even feel like a PBS presentation but more like a Chancellor of Soul production [[if you know what I mean). Overall, the presentation was lacking on a professional level. I was disappointed with that.
    Agreed. I thought it could have been done better. Still nice they did it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Agreed. I thought it could have been done better. Still nice they did it though.
    Yep. I DVR'd it and put on disc. Another thing that they could have done right was whenever they played the original version of Sitting In The Park, it was like listening to it on a small radio back in the day with no mid-range or bass. If that was the effect they wanted, I'm scratching my head. That was frustrating as I wanted to hear it full blast. Bill Stewart songs and summer go together.

I saw the program last night. It was a quick but informative profile of Billy's life, for which I am grateful.

But it seems like a program that was originally designed to be 30 minutes long and then they had to make it last for an hour. It was nice to see the performers that he inspired but that portion seemed like something that would have been better served as a bonus features section after the main program ended or a bonus features selection on a dvd.

Thanks for sharing. I’ve been a Billy Stewart fan forever. Billy Stewart is one of my all time favorite singers. I could listen to him all day. Can’t wait to watch.