[REMOVE ADS]

Mica Paris "Gospel" [[2020)

Mica Paris, probably the greatest British soul singer, released her first new CD in 11 years and no one at SD made a peep [[?)[[!)

Anyway, it is a combination of traditional gospel songs with inspirational covers of "A Change Is Gonna Come", Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is" and U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", among others. My copy just arrived. She sounds pretty good.

A few weeks ago I played Amazing Grace from this album at my mother in law's funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Mica Paris, probably the greatest British soul singer, released her first new CD in 11 years and no one at SD made a peep [[?)[[!)

Anyway, it is a combination of traditional gospel songs with inspirational covers of "A Change Is Gonna Come", Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is" and U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", among others. My copy just arrived. She sounds pretty good.

It's criminal it has been 11 years since her last album, but it has been worth the wait. I especially love her version of A change is gonna come which is quite possibly my all time favorite song. Mica's version is up there with the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    A few weeks ago I played Amazing Grace from this album at my mother in law's funeral.
    I'm sorry for your loss, Jack. These are trying times the world over. Mica has an anointing on her and is well-suited to sing your loved one on to Glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It's criminal it has been 11 years since her last album, but it has been worth the wait. I especially love her version of A change is gonna come which is quite possibly my all time favorite song. Mica's version is up there with the best.
    Indeed, the wait has been too long. While not as smooth and supple as in her youth, her mature voice compensates with "heft" and emotive power. I am knocked out by the recording of the U2 song -- goosebumps-- and I have always thought that song mediocre.

[QUOTE=Guy;603836]Indeed, the wait has been too long. While not as smooth and supple as in her youth, her mature voice compensates with "heft" and emotive power. I am knocked out by the recording of the U2 song -- goosebumps-- and I have always thought that song mediocre.[/QUOTE
    Agree on all counts. We lost many years of potentially great albums whilst she was appearing in soap operas and being a dj. Let's hope we don't have to wait a further 11 years for the next one.

Downloaded this album a couple of weeks ago... not normally one for gospel music, but I’ll make an exception for this one, mostly for Mica's version of "Something Inside So Strong" and the brilliantly uplifting "Mamma Said"