[REMOVE ADS]

Can this be true? Darlene Love gets a Top 20 hit on Hot 100

I feel like my eyes are deceiving me but it appears that Darlene Love finally hits the Hot 100 again with "Christmas" and I believe it makes it the first time she hits the top 20 in her own name. Congratulations Darlene, well deserved!!!

Excerpt from the Billboard article by Heran Mamo:

Darlene Love's classic carol "Christmas [[Baby Please Come Home)" finds a new home on the Billboard Hot 100 this week [[dated Jan. 2) at No. 19.
    Not only is this the song's first time in the Hot 100 top 20, but it's also Love's first time reaching this tier since "Wait 'Til My Bobby Gets Home" hit No. 26 back in 1963.
    Last holiday season, she told Billboard that her favorite covers of "Christmas" are Mariah Carey's because "hers is so much like the original...with her great voice," and U2's, "because it DOESN'T sound like 'Christmas [[Baby)', and they had me do all three background vocals on it.

Source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...e-home-lyrics/
    Last edited by Luciano; 01-01-2021 at 10:49 PM.

Christmas songs are big this time of year. I believe Mariah Carey went to #1 again with her song. I also read that the Jackson 5 charted again with one of their Christmas songs.

in the UK, Wham with 'Last Christmas' is the new No 1!! top of the charts 36 years since its original release!
    Morph

Wow, this is great news. Thanks for sharing Luciano. Congrats to Darlene Love and her holiday classic "Christmas [[Baby Please Come Home)".

Yes, that is an interesting article. I'm not quite sure why so many Christmas oldies hit the top 20 - change in reporting methods? - will read the piece again. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yes, that is an interesting article. I'm not quite sure why so many Christmas oldies hit the top 20 - change in reporting methods? - will read the piece again. Thanks!
    I have no idea how music sells now or how the charts are tabulated, but back in the day of 45's and LPs, during the Christmas Season, Christmas records sold as well as new records. "In box lots". The music was heard on the radio and a new generation would go to their local record shop and buy it. Some older people seemed to constantly buy the same record every year. Maybe they lost their copy or it was given away or stolen. That I could not figure out. Some of the records that constantly sold like new records and made the charts were:
    Please Come Home For Christmas Charles Brown
    Silent Night Temptations
    White Christmas Drifters
    Some of the Stax stuff including the entire Christmas album

Nice to see Darlene on the charts in her own name

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I have no idea how music sells now or how the charts are tabulated, but back in the day of 45's and LPs, during the Christmas Season, Christmas records sold as well as new records.
    Nice to see Darlene on the charts in her own name
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  21.1 KB
    Wouldn't her name on the charts be Darlene Wright, if it were her OWN name???

She changed her name legally to Darlene Love many years ago, so that Phil Spector could not prevent her from using it.

Yeah for the beautiful Darlene Love. She is a fabulous singer and
    deserves all the accolades. Her song has become a rock and roll standard
    at Christmas time.

Nina

Last week, she was also #57 on the UK Chart. 16 of the top 20 singles were Christmas-themed songs and most, if not all, were oldies. In this week's chart, all of them have dropped out.

Her highest chart position in the UK Chart for this song was #22 at Christmas 2018 and it made #33 last year.