[REMOVE ADS]

Lou Rawls "Yesterday" on The Ed Sullivan Show

The great Lou Rawls with an interesting take on The Beatles "Yesterday". Wish they would have kept more of the original tempo.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    The great Lou Rawls with an interesting take on The Beatles "Yesterday". Wish they would have kept more of the original tempo.

I agree with what you say about the tempo, but it remains a fine performance. Thanks for posting.

I'm always a fan of Lou, who had a great career and great recorded output. Thanks for finding this one!

I'm fine with what they did with the tempo because I know he's backed by a jazz band
    which means improvisation and re-interpretation are par the course, I'm just peeved
    that I don't know who they are. I don't recognise them and they're not credited on any
    websites I've found that reference the episode. Dang. Anyway, Lou had a long storied
    career that deserves more discussion than he gets. There's also a bit of overlooked footage of him in various settings on youtube including an appearance with The Emotions
    I'd never seen until last February...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I'm fine with what they did with the tempo because I know he's backed by a jazz band
    which means improvisation and re-interpretation are par the course, I'm just peeved
    that I don't know who they are. I don't recognise them and they're not credited on any
    websites I've found that reference the episode. Dang. Anyway, Lou had a long storied
    career that deserves more discussion than he gets. There's also a bit of overlooked footage of him in various settings on youtube including an appearance with The Emotions
    I'd never seen until last February...
    He remains one of my all time favorite male performers. He could move effortlessly between soul, jazz, pop and easy listening. I treasure his albums, and i regret not managing to catch him live in concert.

Yes, and still people clowned him a lot. I've never been absolutely sure why. Was it jealousy? The man had major clout if not the mass of hits of say James Brown. He recorded
    with both Sam Cooke and Ray Charles. Hosted his own TV specials, but even other entertainers would dis him, the late Baby Huey going as far as doing it on records.
    Anyway, I found the video of him and MY girls....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ToPt6CD36g

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post

[

here's another swingin' interpretation by Lou:

I really enjoyed this and the jazz improv